I am injured. Dammit.

MattDavis

Mon 18 Feb, 2013 11:13 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks. Jaz says hi.
She isn't a member of A2K (yet).
Little concerned about the amount of bullying in general on the forum.
But that is more a product of anonymity, I think than a statement about this forum in general.
Regardless she could "hold her own" if were worth it to join.
She and I appreciate your welcome.
Hope to be helpful.
roger

Tue 19 Feb, 2013 01:44 am
@MattDavis,
There is that 'ignore' feature. Once you get used to it, it's "use and forget".
MattDavis

Tue 19 Feb, 2013 01:53 am
@roger,
Oh!
How do I access that?
Is there a place to go to as a guide to navigating the intricacies in the user interface?
ie a User's Guide Wink
I may be a little obtuse, but I can't seem to find it.
roger

Tue 19 Feb, 2013 02:30 am
@MattDavis,
http://able2know.org/topic/152761-1 is a start. You can accomplish much by going to the very bottom of most pages and selecting "My Preferences", or something like that.

Ignore is easier. Just click the linked user name at the beginning of each post, and you will be sent to that person's profile. One of the options directly below the avatar photo is "Ignore User". That persons posts will now be replaced by the 'user ignored' notation. You can click on the post to uncollapse it, but after a while you will notice it just isn't worth your time.
MattDavis

Tue 19 Feb, 2013 02:45 am
@roger,
Thanks Roger,
I will look in to it and mostly likely employ the feature if needed.
Sorry if I diverted attention from the original post.
A childish reaction on my part.

Hope you are well Joe.
Let us (Jaz or Matt) know if you want any other advice regarding sports injury, or clarification of advice already given.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Tue 19 Feb, 2013 09:49 am
I hope you are doing better Joe(ouch my back). Or knee, I 'm not sure.

Age creeps up on us all.
Eva

Tue 19 Feb, 2013 09:53 am
@IRFRANK,
It hasn't been creeping up on me. It often runs at a full gallop and knocks me off my feet.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Tue 19 Feb, 2013 10:56 am
@MattDavis,
JazzerV
Thank you for you cogent, concise and complete answer. You have no future here among the manure spreaders of A2K, the rest of us welcome you.

A fuller update later, this computer has blown up three previous attempts to reply. Suffice it to say that I am following most of your advice (except for the flaxseed; it makes me spend all my waking and some of my sleeping moments in the jon.)

Things are better, if not well. Today is a day of COMPLETE rest.....tomorrow I have to travel to NYC carrying a fricking bag.

Joe(Be well)Nation
IRFRANK

Tue 19 Feb, 2013 11:58 am
@Joe Nation,
Be well indeed.
0 Replies

MattDavis

Tue 19 Feb, 2013 03:32 pm
@Joe Nation,
Thanks so much Joe!

We certainly didn't want to cause you any gastrointestinal distress Wink
In full disclosure, the mention of flax seed may betray our bias as vegans.
Omega 3 fatty acids are also found in fish oils. Putting the vegan bias aside (as much as we are able), there is some concern over mercury and PCB content. http://nutritionfacts.org/video/is-distilled-fish-oil-toxin-free/
Walnut oil is also a good source, but is more expensive than flax seed oil.
Glad you are able to get some rest Very Happy

Good luck in NYC.
Just a thought: Do you have access to the sort of baggage with a handle and wheels?
Joe Nation

Wed 20 Feb, 2013 07:35 am
@MattDavis,
You aren't revealing too much, it would be hard to scratch anyone doing yoga without finding some vegetarianism and flaxseed under their skin.
Full disclosure~ I was once married to a deeply committed yoga teacher/practitioner, I studied with Baba Hari Das and Swami Rama was a frequent guest in our home.
(the ex headed the Himalayan Institute of Tulsa and was the photo model for national Institute's Yoga Instruction Manual~ Volume Two).
I still do some asanas every morning, but am not a fan of stretching before a long run (I usually stop at about six miles and shake out any kinks.)

The right calf is still VERY tight, there is some tension higher up BUT all is better after two days of trying to find rest and ice.

Joe(on we go)Nation
MattDavis

Wed 20 Feb, 2013 01:52 pm
@Joe Nation,
I agree about the yoga / vegetarian connection. I believe this stems both from the yogic philosophies sympathy for 'ahimsa', and also the perception of our society that both are part of a 'health kick'.
Personally my veganism predates my yoga practice, so for me the 'yoga' is more of a justification for my beliefs, than an informer of them.
Speaking on behalf of Jasmin, she would agree with you in not practicing asana before a run. Numerous physiology studies have shown that "deep" stretching prior to exertion temporarily decreases strength and increases the risk for injury. Asana after a run, however, may be beneficial, particularly a yin yoga practice.
This also reminds me of something I heard from Rod Stryker. He is much less a teacher of asana, and much more of a 'guru'. He contends, and I don't remember his sources, that as we advance in life, the proportion of time spent in asana should decrease in favor of time spent in meditation.
I like Rod, but the whole tantric model of internal energies/shakras is bit too unsupported by empirical evidence for my taste.
I say do what works with regard to your physical/mental/spiritual health. Very Happy
0 Replies

roger

Wed 20 Feb, 2013 03:29 pm
@MattDavis,
Flax seed oil, eh? Its other name is linseed oil, from which they make paint. Sounds yummy.
ossobuco

Wed 20 Feb, 2013 03:32 pm
@roger,
I read it is of small matter to you unless you grind it. I do.

Wondering if Joe Nation is a grinder..
roger

Wed 20 Feb, 2013 03:38 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh. I was assuming you took the oil before it had a chance to set up.

PS: Don't anybody use linseed oil from the paint store. It contains some nasty additives that turn it into boiled linseed oil. The process is chemical, not thermal.
0 Replies

MattDavis

Wed 20 Feb, 2013 03:42 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Flax seed oil, eh? Its other name is linseed oil, from which they make paint. Sounds yummy.

Yeah when you put it that way it doesn't.
They also make varnish from rendered animal carcasses, when you put it that way, animal carcasses don't sound so yummy either. Wink
I only tease.
How are you Roger?
0 Replies

MattDavis

Wed 20 Feb, 2013 03:45 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso wrote:
Wondering if Joe Nation is a grinder..

Had to go there did we? Wink
ossobuco

Wed 20 Feb, 2013 04:17 pm
@MattDavis,
Snort.

Well, I was talking about flax seeds, which I bought some of once and they seem to never deplete. I toss them in my bread, ground in my faux olden hand cranked coffee grinder I bought at the salvation army store at some point. I grind other stuff in there, like fennel seeds, or cumin seeds, but always empty the device first.
I must say, I've noticed a slight amount of flax seeds seem to grow larger after being ground.
MattDavis

Wed 20 Feb, 2013 04:38 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes. Flax seeds should be ground if you want to get any nutritional value other than "fiber" from them.
Quote:
I grind other stuff in there, like fennel seeds, or cumin seeds,

I've recently been seeing some research regarding how great "spices" in general are as sources of antioxidants and in decreasing the inflammation linked to both cancer and heart disease.
So I would say keep up the good work!
ossobuco

Wed 20 Feb, 2013 04:45 pm
@MattDavis,
I like them just because I like them. I'm odd, have low sense of smell, well tested at a university as very poor, a hereditary matter, but a fair sense of taste. People then say, "that can't be". Yes it can. I'm probably stupid in contrast to most on identifying herbs, but I'm easily bored with bland.

It works out well for me that herbs, seeds, nuts, and so on, are mostly good for us.