I am injured. Dammit.

Joe Nation

Sat 16 Feb, 2013 11:30 am
@Eva,
Thanks for looking in on this. If I was in Tulsa, I'd be knocking on Dr. Stamile's door.

Joe(he fixed my bicycle crash shoulders)Nation
0 Replies

Rockhead

Sat 16 Feb, 2013 11:31 am
@Joe Nation,
incredibly special lady...

water therapy is what they do first when they replace your knee.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 16 Feb, 2013 11:42 am
@Region Philbis,
That's where I stayed when I got to go to NYC. Hilarious place at the time, undergoing remodelling efforts. I liked it, despite my whining. There's one further north toward Joe N, I think.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Sat 16 Feb, 2013 11:50 am
This is in Chelsea (25th Street) and, because I am a geezer over 65, $25 a YEAR>>>>>>
http://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/chelsearecreationcenter/facilities/pools

Joe (Your tax dollars at work)Nation
ossobuco

Sat 16 Feb, 2013 11:53 am
@Joe Nation,
Really, $25.00?

Hmmm. Then there's one here I should check out. A little far away, but still.

Just checked, it's 612 a year for seniors plus 50 t0 join. Oh, well.

I guess I misunderstood and you're already a member, and the 25. is for use of the pool?
Ceili

Sat 16 Feb, 2013 11:56 am
Is there a sports medicine clinic where you are? They specialize in this kinda thing. Especially the stretches and exercises you can do to heal properly.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sat 16 Feb, 2013 12:07 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco

http://www.cabq.gov/parksandrecreation/recreation/swimming/admission-fees-and-holidays

$60 - all facilities - annual membership
Senior 55+
ossobuco

Sat 16 Feb, 2013 12:21 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks for looking it up. There's one that could work, not a Y but a tennis center with a pool.
0 Replies

Lola

Sat 16 Feb, 2013 12:31 pm
@ossobuco,
Medicare pays for the Y if you're over 65. My membership with all services included is free.
Joe Nation

Sat 16 Feb, 2013 12:35 pm
@Lola,
OOO, I'm going to check that out!

Joe(that would be good)Nation
nextone

Sat 16 Feb, 2013 07:45 pm
@Joe Nation,
Sorry you're hurting. Know knee pain all too well. At different times ice and rest and gentle walking keep pain suppressed. You know all that. As I read the comments, I kept hearing the nasal mantra of Howard Cosell,
"The knee; its always the knee."

May all be well.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sat 16 Feb, 2013 07:58 pm
Injured! You want injured? Actually, I haven't been injured, majorly, in more years than I can recall. I sympathize, because my wife has back and arthritis problems and I know what she goes through.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 16 Feb, 2013 08:39 pm
@Lola,
really?

I'll have to inquire, as I am 71. Still these places are hard for me to get to - - but I suppose I need to connect to other help stuff. All this is shittable to think about.
0 Replies

Roberta

Sat 16 Feb, 2013 11:52 pm
Hey, Joe, Whatever you have to do to be able to run again, you'll do. You gotta keep doing what you love to do. What would a NYC marathon be without Joe (injury, shminjury) Nation?

Heal, bubbele, heal.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Sun 17 Feb, 2013 06:28 am
Thanks everyone for the cheers and thoughts.
Still very sore but icing seems to help some (and Naproxen)
The problem is, as with everyone else, I have stuff to do.
Drat.
Drat drat.

I hope Osso finds something to take advantage of near her.

Joe(Heading for breakfast)Nation
0 Replies

dlowan

Sun 17 Feb, 2013 07:24 am
@Joe Nation,
Hope it's progressing and you're back on the road very soon!

0 Replies

alex240101

Sun 17 Feb, 2013 08:03 am
@Joe Nation,
http://www.inversiontables.com/?source=googleaw&kwid=inversion%20table&tid=exact&gclid=CMeAyeHAvbUCFe9aMgod3W8A0w
Joe Nation

Sun 17 Feb, 2013 11:04 am
@alex240101,
Thanks for the ad.

Joe(I'll pass. Yoga and ice seem to be working)Nation
0 Replies

MattDavis
  Selected Answer

Mon 18 Feb, 2013 05:54 pm
@Joe Nation,
Hey Joe, I'm a nurse and my girlfriend is an athletic trainer. We both also practice yoga (she teaches it). I will hand the mic over to her actually, because I find her judgement is usually Wink sound in such matters.
[disclaimer: Not to be taken as medical advice, the author of the following assumes no responsibility, and will in no way be held responsible for the following to be used in place of or in contradiction to a physician's assessment and recommendation.]
JazzerV wrote:
Alright, Joe, I am making some assumptions based on your short essay. First off, since you acutely injured your knee most recently, you need to ice it, take ibuprofen (and dietary anti-inflammatory agents, omega 3 oils, flax seed), elevate it, and LEAVE IT ALONE. As in, no exercises using that R leg. You should not exercise this leg for at least a week, if there is still swelling and pain that limits you then you shouldn't do anything for 10-14 days. No amount of physical therapy is as good as resting an acute injury right after it happens.
Now, moving forward. You most likely have muscle imbalances. Left to right, front to back, the agonist and antagonist muscles. An assumption that I am making is that you did not have a complete, overall strength and flexibility routine while you were running to train for your competitions. Because of this, you really should focus now on the rest of your muscles, your balance and understanding that if you allow the rest of your muscles to compensate for the R leg, you are going to have problems with the L leg, and, as happened to you, your back.
It's a whole kinetic chain, and when your well-oiled machine of a body isn't working TOGETHER, then you cause yourself injuries to the surrounding supporting musculature and sometimes bones.
My first recommendation is to start focusing on stretching the backs of your legs, from the ankles, to the calves, to the hamstrings, up into all the buttock muscles. This will help you relieve the stress on your back.
The next is to see a GOOD chiropractor. If your bones aren't aligned, how can your muscles work as effectively as possible?
[If you are against chiros, I understand, but I have one I believe in]
See an exercise expert, an exercise physiologist, an athletic trainer, someone who has a lot of experience and degrees, not just certifications. If you can find one of these rare people, she or he will be able to set up the correct conditioning program for your rehabilitation and return to glory.

Matt (It isn't medical advice.) Davis
ossobuco

Mon 18 Feb, 2013 06:03 pm
@MattDavis,
Welcome, Jazzer, from someone reading along.

I cry each time Joe and Thomas get near the end of the NYC marathon, very emotional for some of us that follow it - JoeN is one of our best writers. Thomas posts more succinctly but is also damned smart.

Not that they will always finish every year, but when they are close, my heart gets all happy.