I am injured. Dammit.

JTT

Wed 27 Feb, 2013 07:27 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
Everything is toxic. I'd be interested in knowing how many tablespoons of cinnamon one would have to consume over a month's or year's time to have any long term or short term deleterious effects.

Cinnamon Challenge - The Slow Mo Guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9dHiTwp4Z4

MattDavis

Wed 27 Feb, 2013 07:34 pm
@JTT,
Hey JT Very Happy
You're a linguist. What do you think about my taste/linguistics question?
I would love to hear your take on it. Very Happy
http://able2know.org/topic/208432-7#post-5265490
margo

Wed 27 Feb, 2013 07:38 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

It's all a matter of taste, Bud!

Droll; very droll! Cool
0 Replies

JTT

Wed 27 Feb, 2013 07:47 pm
@MattDavis,
Quote:
You're a linguist.

No, I ain't no linguist, Matt.

I had already read it before you asked and I was intrigued. The thought that went thru my mind was, "this guy has an inquisitive mind - I like that".

But what really made me wonder was how you got that extra spacing between all your words on the first line. Now when I copy and paste, they close up.

Does this betray a disparity between our more primitive emotional (taste/smell) mind, and our more dualistic (logical/analytical/creative) mind?

EDIT: They had closed up in my reply box but when I posted they opened up again.
MattDavis

Wed 27 Feb, 2013 07:59 pm
@JTT,
I'm not exactly sure I understand about the collapsed/expanded text thing.
If you select the text as it appears on the screen you will not necessarily be selecting the BBCode version of the text.
If you hit the |QUOTE| tab, a BBCode version of the text will appear. The appearance on the screen is a translation of the BBCode to include things like text color, text size, underline, emoticons etc....

On the linguistic/psychology/philosophy type questions I have a strong inclination toward computational models. Regarding linguistics this is similar to the work of Noam Chomsky. Information theory is also being strongly explored in physics.
You might notice that in a broad (perhaps prejudicial) sense modern American philosophers tend toward more analytical thinking, than modern European philosophers, who tend toward the more abstract 'deconstructionist' views.
JTT

Wed 27 Feb, 2013 08:38 pm
@MattDavis,
Quote:
I'm not exactly sure I understand about the collapsed/expanded text thing

Does this betray a disparity between our more primitive emotional (taste/smell) mind, and our more dualistic

(logical/analytical/creative) mind?

This is the line break as I view this sentence of yours. Part 1 has what appears to be three spaces between each word.

It's not important but I just wondered how that would happen because I recently told Mame, when she said that it's right/correct to put two spaces between sentences, [an old typewriter rule] that computers, by default, move that back to one space.

Quote:
On the linguistic/psychology/philosophy type questions I have a strong inclination toward computational models. Regarding linguistics this is similar to the work of Noam Chomsky. Information theory is also being strongly explored in physics.

You might notice that in a broad (perhaps prejudicial) sense modern American philosophers tend toward more analytical thinking, than modern European philosophers, who tend toward the more abstract 'deconstructionist' views.

I've never noticed that, Matt, because I don't have much interest in that.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Wed 27 Feb, 2013 08:42 pm
@MattDavis,
Quote:
Have you ever noticed a great difficulty in using verbal language to describe taste?

No.
Read some wine reviews for context.

Joe(hints of blackberry, smoke, applepeel and nutmeg.....)Nation
JTT

Wed 27 Feb, 2013 09:02 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
Read some wine reviews for context.

Those are as phony as movie reviews, Joe(how do I keep getting so badly duped)Nation.
MattDavis

Wed 27 Feb, 2013 09:08 pm
@Joe Nation,
Thanks Joe Very Happy
Maybe it is more of a personal challenge for me.
Jaz is much better at the wine tasting bit than I.
Also coffee. Maybe my tastes will improve, since I have recently quit smoking.
0 Replies

Timothyford

Thu 28 Feb, 2013 03:20 am
@Joe Nation,
For back I think low impact exercises like swimming, aerobics would go well. Have you tried for that?
Joe Nation

Thu 28 Feb, 2013 08:15 am
@JTT,
JTT: I've decided to love your cynicism, we all need a bitter friend to have around to remind us of how we used to be.

To be honest, I don't read either movie reviews or Wine Aficionado. I do like Leonard Maltin on CBS because he never hyperventilates over good or bad, but mostly I depend on friend's referrals for wines, movies and, I should add, books and they, for the most part, rely on my honest opinions.
I don't know if I'd take your recommendations for wine, movies or books, if you have any opinions, I'd love to review them.

Here's something to entertain your acerbic whithered soul. Enjoy. http://nymag.com/news/features/rudy-kurniawan-wine-fraud-2012-5/

I think the funniest reviews to read are for music.
That must be really hard writing,
(Quick, give me 200 words to describe "Take Five".)

Or
Take the top three tunes from this week's Billboard and compare and contrast them.

Joe(don't refer to any of the artists' private, so to speak, lives)Nation
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-UrCLbSoNYnQ/US9P2QzmEQI/AAAAAAAAYMU/03LCCEVdovM/s400/wheel+2-28-2013+6-48-54+AM.JPG
JTT

Thu 28 Feb, 2013 10:54 am
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
JTT: I've decided to love your cynicism,

Now if only you'd do the same with the truth, Joe. Smile
JTT

Thu 28 Feb, 2013 12:09 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
I don't know if I'd take your recommendations for wine, movies or books, if you have any opinions, I'd love to review them.

Are you guilty of a [serious music] comma splice, Joe?
Joe Nation

Fri 1 Mar, 2013 10:48 am
@JTT,
Heh, that's what I mean, JTT, your view of the world through those clouds of acid is so endearing, not as endearing as other, more famous, curmudgeons, but you do try. I don't even want you to bother pointing out to me where I have strayed from the truth. Who could keep up with such a list with such a multiple repeated offender such as I?

Joe(me. Which? I do not know, that's what editors are for. )Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Fri 1 Mar, 2013 10:53 am
@Timothyford,
I think you are right, Tim, such things are limited to me here in the city, though there are pools. (See the discussion above.) As soon as this thing stops complaining, I am going to start where I was seven years ago, walking, walking, walking, strolling, walking.

~~~~~Much improved this morning, did I mention that squatting seems to loosen the calf when it starts to seize up? I spent several moments in the grocery store the other day squatted and pretending to be looking at the stuff on the lowest shelves.

Joe(wow. Gallon containers of Canola Oil....)Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Fri 1 Mar, 2013 11:01 am
@JTT,
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ib6r74rqgvE/UTC0ohOyi7I/AAAAAAAAYNU/Zd_JGbdI5IA/s400/Hug+3-1-2013+6-48-56+AM.JPG

Comma splice? So technical, hmm, let's see:
Quote:

Got it.
Should have been:
I don't know if I'd take your recommendations for wine, movies or books; if you have any opinions, I'd love to review them.

Joe(as if it matters)Nation

Setanta

Fri 1 Mar, 2013 11:19 am
I tore the meniscus of my right knee several years ago, and a right serious injury it proved to be. However, this morning as i was taking out the trash, i slipped on the ice and fell, and now i've got a buggered knee and a badly sprained ankle. Of course, th elittle dogs expect me to run to the back door every fifteen minutes to let them out, too. Life occasionally sucks.
ehBeth

Fri 1 Mar, 2013 12:01 pm
@Setanta,
I'll try to remember to bring Epsom salts home.

There are a couple of knee supports on the sofa - remind me to give you one.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Sat 2 Mar, 2013 05:39 am
@Setanta,
Setanta: Crap. I'm sorry you fell and hope you're already getting better.

I'd be very interested in what you did or did not do to recover from the original meniscus injury.

Just stare at the dogs. They'll get the message that the alpha dog does not want to be disturbed,

Joe(woof)Nation
Setanta

Sat 2 Mar, 2013 05:42 am
@Joe Nation,
For the original injury, the knee was immobilized as much as possible, and i went to therapy three times a week. It's really the kind of injury for which you have to patient and allow the body to heal itself.

Staring at the little dogs doesn't help, because if they **** in the house i have to clean it up.