JIM NABORS WAS GOY?

farmerman

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 04:23 pm
@dlowan,
I sincerely apologize in that I did not fully interpret your earlier post. Yes Precisley, you are right. Bad Behavior should be cast as bad behavior and YES
Let the damn thing die before someone brings up Hitler

THERE , I JUST DID!
SO by the rules of the thread masters, this thread should automticlly self destruct

Bye, hope to see yalls in more pleasant wallows
dlowan

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 04:32 pm
@farmerman,
Indeed. Byeeee!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 04:42 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
But Im also a bit alarmed at how much several of the ole timers so easily dismiss the ST Pete crew's vile personal insults .Insults that someone like me would be piled on over.

the fanboy crew was called on their behaviour the most recent time jcboy left.

a comparatively small group showed up on this thread - I think they were hoping to start a big stinkfight last time round - people mostly stepped around them so not as many showed up this time. Being ignored is the deadliest insult.

I do see the benefit of the possible blocking option when I see what happened here.
0 Replies

JeffreyEqualityNewma

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 04:51 pm
I’ve known Morgan since he moved to Florida, I’m not part of the fan boy club, Morgan happens to be a client of mine, I’m at least 20 years older then all of them. Morgan doesn’t consider the fan boys his friends they’re his tenants. The fan boys live in boy palace, that’s a nickname for the apartment building. Most of their sorry asses couldn’t afford to live where they do if Morgan wasn’t giving them a break on their rents!

I also happen to be Jewish. Personally I wouldn’t take offense to the ladies comment. I agree that was slightly out of character of Morgan to lash out at her, it was Friday evening, perhaps something set him off that night, don’t know and don’t care to.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 04:57 pm
@JeffreyEqualityNewma,
Hi Jeffrey - funny that you mention Friday night - it was pretty much what I said to Set when we talked about this thread last night.

I hope the weather's treating you better there than it's treating us here.
JeffreyEqualityNewma

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 05:05 pm
@ehBeth,
They took Anthony to dinner, that’s where it started. Usually Morgan is very calm, only seen him lose his temper twice but when he does get out of the way! If the owner of this site had it for sale he would have bought it just to ban this lady!

We are having beautiful weather, I’m originally from New York. If I blink I’ll miss spring and summer will be here.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 05:19 pm
I have to say...

It's a good thing Lutherans don't get this upset or you all would be covered in lime jello.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 06:03 pm
@JeffreyEqualityNewma,
Thanks. There probably wasn't a better thing to be said.
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 06:08 pm
I'm ready for this thread to die too. It's been very surprising. However, since there still are some people writing that they found my comment (or attempt at a joke) offensive, I want to make a point. I haven't tried to defend what I wrote before now since I assumed those making the extreme fuss were all trolls and not to be taken seriously. I don't know anything about the St. Pete fan boys.........I've been away for too long, I can see that. But here's my side of the story. It's short.

The definition of Goy is "not Jewish." http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/goy?s=t

I thought it was funny to translate the title of the thread and make a comment about the fact that, as far as I cared, Jim Nabors could be gay, Goy (=not a Jew) or whatever and I'd still think he was/is funny. I think no more nor no less of him for who he loves or how he was born. My mother loved his character on Andy Griffith; she loved all such characters. It never occurred to me that anyone would or could possibly be offended by what I wrote. I still don't get it. There's nothing wrong with being a Jew, so saying someone is not a Jew seems equally benign to me.

This thread does stand out as an example of many important internet dangers. However, they're not new or previously unknown dangers. It's been very interesting. And I hope JCboy comes back since so many people seem to value his participation. If he does return, I hope he'll find a way to reconsider his opinion of me. I'm just Lola. Same ole Lola I've been for a long time. Not perfect, but ok. Good enough.

From my perspective, this thread has been a great way to dive right back in to a2k. Nice to be back home, regardless.
parados

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 06:19 pm
@Lola,
Quote:

From my perspective, this thread has been a great way to dive right back in to a2k. Nice to be back home, regardless.

It's sink or swim and luckily you do have a lovely breast stroke.
Lola

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 06:23 pm
@parados,
thank you parados, you're a sweetie
0 Replies

BrianW33713

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 07:09 pm
@JeffreyEqualityNewma,
You know Jeff rumor has it skyline fifth might be turned into condo’s. If that happens the fan boys will be scattered from here to Miami, Pity.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 10:21 am
@Lola,
Lolaessense wrote:

I have never known any Jew that objected to being called a Jew. It has actually never occurred to me that anyone would think of it as an insult. So, excuse me, but I just take it that Val baby is easily offended or he's looking for a fight in which he can be injured. Fun time has been had by all though. Jews and non-Jews alike.

Do you read minds? Assuming you do not, one doesn't always show emotion, if one is offended. So, your assessment for many an ethnic, may be incorrect, not just for Jews.

However, getting back to the "Are you a Jew?" question, it was once, and still is pejorative, in many circles, since just the word Jew has been used as an epithet. Now, there is one variable; if one lives in a region where there are few Jews, any Jew that happens to be there likely knows he/she, perhaps at best, is a novelty item to the local Gentiles. At worst a spectre of a take-over of all the coveted awards in the local school system, or some such threat. And, when Jews live in a region where there is a community of Jews, most Jews know how to gravitate towards those Gentiles that have lost the belief in all negative stereotypes from a prior era.

And, some Gentiles are actually happy to find a Jewish person in their midst, since the stereotypes they have heard have been positive stereotypes, especially if one is looking for a friend for their less than gregarious child (the Jewish person's child). Just my opinion.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 10:30 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

He wasn't asking if asking someone if they are Jewish is offensive....he was asking if the word itself is offensive.

He seemed to appreciate my explanation; however, the word itself might be taken as offensive, since it has historically been used as an epithet.

But, even if it was not meant to be offensive, the use of the word itself (as opposed to the word "Jewish") would make me think the user is either from a very plain vanilla and mayo part of the country, or the person knows it might be a less than polite way to broach one's background/religion, and is just seeing if they hit a nerve. You know like a man using the word "dame" or "gal" to refer to women.

I think the word "Jewish" originated specifically to be used as an alternative to "Jew," since "Jew" has been used as an epithet, since the "ish" in "Jewish" connotes "sort of," but "not quite." Like saying, "It is windyish outside" Sort of windy, but not quite. In effect, a Jewish person is not a Fagin; however, Fagin was a Jew, and all it connotes to those who harbor pejorative opinions.
Foofie

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 10:39 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

Give me a break. You can't say the word "jew" without the Anti-Defamation League coming down on you like a ton of bricks?

The wording did NOT suggest that not being a Jew was a good thing. She said: "Well, he wasn't a Jew." She DIDN'T say: "Well, at least he wasn't a Jew," or "Well, he wasn't a Jew, praise be to Jesus."

That phrasing is only offensive if one is looking to be offended.

If one was a New Yorker that has a mix of Jewish and non-Jewish friends, it would not surprise me if the sentence would be phrased, "Well, he wasn't Jewish."

Many Gentiles in New York have accepted that Jews like to be referred to as "Jewish," and are willing to play the game, since their Jewish friends are more often than not, nice to them. The Gentile New Yorker that uses the word Jew, might not have any Jewish friends (that have a Jewish identity), and lives in a world where there is no Chanukah in December, that they care to be aware of, only Christmas.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 11:16 pm
I joined in 2002 and I visit from time to time. I see folks still here I admire and are safe havens. I see angry folks looking for a fight. I hope jcboy & val killmore feel like they suppose real men feel like. I don't want them to miss the point when they actually achieve manhood. If they do become men, they won't consider this a proud moment. These two immature males need to travel and learn about real things. Just to temporarily indulge in similar verbiage let me state this in terms they will understand: only puny little boy minds would dare to hide behind screen names in order to attempt an attack on grown women. You want to call them old or bitches, that tells me you are still hovering in a stunted form of puberty. Be careful, some males never make it out of that state I like to think of as "Peter pan boy band". Growing older is mandatory, unfortunately growing up is not.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 11:35 pm
@Foofie,
Actually, I was interested when I first went to write a response to this bizarre thread and realised I would say "is Jewish" rather than "is a Jew".

I get that it has, sadly, evolved that calling someone a Jew has become offensive.....but nothing excuses the vileness here aimed at someone who had no intent to offend and no knowledge that offense might be taken.

It's similar to Australians having not the faintest notion that watermelon and fried chicken are racially sensitive topics in the USA!

A simple post pointing out that offense had or could be taken would have been enough, no?
dlowan

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 11:36 pm
@Foofie,
Yep...I know he accepted your explanation and hence withdrew from that discussion . I understand your point, now.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 01:14 am
I didn't think that the word Jew was the issue. I never thought there was anything wrong with it. This thread is the first I heard of it.

I read Lola's comment to mean that it was a good thing he wasn't a Jew. The word Jew had nothing to do with it.

I'm stunned and staggered that this thread has turned into such a morass of negativity, and no one (Jews and non-Jews) is clear about what the offense is.

Edit: A quote from JCBoy seems to confirm my view.

jcboy wrote:

From her previous post she seems thrilled that he’s anything but a Jew.
dlowan

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 02:15 am
@Roberta,
It's a Rorschach!