0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 10:46 am
@farmerman,

Well said
farmerman

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 10:49 am
@georgeob1,
I dont stutter when Im pissed, jever notice that?
georgeob1

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 10:52 am
@farmerman,
I noticed. It is interesting that we have all been cowed to some degree by the incessant propaganda behind homosexual advocacy groups. The behavior exhibited here by them was intolerable, and stupid, and offensive, and occasionally heartless, and..... very gay.
thack45

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 11:00 am
This thread is epic. If the internet had a hall of fame, this one should be in the "Problems and Limitations of Virtual Communication" wing. What started as a joke (I'm not the brightest, but given the scope of a2k smalltalk, FMs intent of the title was obvious to me) quickly exploded in to a good deal of time being spent by many, making a case that they or another poster here in fact have no nefarious intents.

But there's sooo much simulated butthurt here. It looks like some of the Super Friends are feigning anger about a comment made here, but are in fact mad about something else; and are either not aware or not concerned that it is entirely obvious to any outside observer. Then there's one of the resident trolls, who seeks only to entertain himself -- quite successfully -- by consistently fading in and out of some sort of skanky, white trash MTV girl character. Why u mad Val?

Nestled in to it all are some really good posts too. So let's keep up the good work everybody, maybe we can get an induction! Mr. Green Mr. Green
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 11:43 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
I thought you were black, seriously.

You must have overheard me explaining the c-walk.
thack45

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 11:52 am
@Ticomaya,
haha, the "performing arts" tag on that thread is exceptionally generous.
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 11:57 am
@thack45,

at one time -- before tagging, A2k had a relatively small set of pre-determined forums, and every topic resided in only one of them.

Performing Arts was one of those forums...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 01:09 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

Roberta wrote:
Was Lola's comment offensive? Yes, it was. Why? Because the wording suggests that not being a Jew is a good thing. Was this intended? Don't know. Frankly, I'm leery of unintentional remarks such as these.

Look, I'm not a Jew or Jewish or whatever other description I can say that will cause the least offense to any interested person and yet be properly descriptive, but ...

Give me a break. You can't say the word "jew" without the Anti-Defamation League coming down on you like a ton of bricks?

The wording did NOT suggest that not being a Jew was a good thing. She said: "Well, he wasn't a Jew." She DIDN'T say: "Well, at least he wasn't a Jew," or "Well, he wasn't a Jew, praise be to Jesus."

That phrasing is only offensive if one is looking to be offended.

I reread the phrase several times to determine what was offensive. And then I thought I would explain the offense. What had caused such a reaction.

Tico, you can say the word Jew as many times as you want to. I'm not with the antidefamation leagaue or any other group.

There may be a bit of oversensitivity in the Jewish community. I know there was when I was growing up. And I've experienced my share of anti-Semitism in my lifetime.

I had hoped that I was clarifying the situation and bringing a voice a reason. I guess I didn't succeed.

C'est la vie.

roger

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 02:35 pm
@Ticomaya,
Sorry. With a name like Tico, I just made the assumption.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 02:48 pm
@georgeob1,
Speak for yourself. I don't feel remotely cowed by people who campaign for basic human rights for homosexuals. I totally support them. If you think the disgusting misogyny and gutter level tactics used by some here is peculiar to gay people I think you need to get out more.
dlowan

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 03:02 pm
@dlowan,
Also, reading back, it looks to me as though Finn was the one to start the decline here.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 03:17 pm
@Roberta,
Wait . . . c'est la vie is Jewish? I thought it was French.
Roberta

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 03:20 pm
@Setanta,
I'm mulitlingual (kinda). I hope this doesn't offend anybody. Waiting for the antimultingualists to be out in force.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 03:28 pm
Zesty as the thread is, and I've read back once (yes, I talk too much - but you hear what I am thinking at the same time I do) and haven't quite memorized the thread trail - so I'll have to look for that one.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 03:53 pm
@Roberta,
So....you're, like, linguistically polymorphic?

Ewwwwwwwwwwww!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 03:56 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

uhhh no

not dead

he just got married a couple of weeks ago

http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/article/Newlywed-Jim-Nabors-wanted-it-legal-4241096.php

(I thought that was why you were thinkin' about him - wanted to send a gift)

That's the nicest news story! Wish there had been pics.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 04:02 pm
@dlowan,
DLOWAN
Theres a big difference between supporting human rights and avoiding any meaningful discussions that include honest differences with those with whom we differ (especially sexually) . Many on here seem to do bits of moral "self dealing" by fawning over gay folks and giving them unfettered passes whether they are being civilized or not.
A true believer of civil rights believes in equal opportunities to be right and wrong and only to be able to enjoy the benefits and privileges of each lifestyle.

The rude crude and lewd outbursts from the ST Pete guys (and Val Killmore who is probably just some low life from New Jersey) were uncalled for, childish, shrewish, and dont (In my view) shine a great flattering light on that community.

But lets not try to cast blind eyes to vicious attacks at anyone here.Ive always hoped that some of these guys would have been more creative in their choices of language.

Personlly Ill miss JCBoy cause hes interested in the thingsas I; Cooking, gardening, pets, kids. His entourage seems overly protective and seems to attempt to talk for him, despite several protestations to the contrary. Too bad

Im mostly amused at the tempest that has ensued. But Im also a bit alarmed at how much several of the ole timers so easily dismiss the ST Pete crew's vile personal insults .Insults that someone like me would be piled on over.

Saucier for goose, I say.
dlowan

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 04:12 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

That's true re newbie bashing.

You have made a major deal about a toss off line by Lola, saying a straight line re word play. That could be me, I word play, or answer it all the time 24/7.
You toss off lines all the time.

I regret your considering her an old broad, as she is junior in years to me.
So, what's your deal with old broads?

Wow. I've never seen JCboy behave like that. What's fascinating is that those who criticise Lola for being anti- Semitic are happy to display their misogyny and ageism like a flaming banner.

Talk about missing the beam in their eye while raving about a wrongly perceived mote in another's!

I hadn't seen the true depths of this thread before.
Time to let it disappear.

dlowan

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 04:20 pm
@farmerman,
I haven't given them any kind of pass. Their behaviour has been disgusting and I have called them on it.

However, this stuff about their behaviour being gay is no different from picking on bad behaviour from any other stigmatised group and calling it typical of black people, or Jewish people etc.

I'd hoped we might be over that kind of ****.

It's not gay behaviour it's appalling behaviour. And I've seen lots of it around here from all manner of people.
0 Replies