How to handle this sex situation

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 10:29 pm
Okay, here's the scoop. I am seeing two women. Both of them know that I'm seeing other people. One of them is basically just a sex buddy, who I see a couple times a month or so. Every time we get together, it's pretty much a given that we are going to have sex. We'll call her Rhoda for this story. The other one I have just started seeing, and I really like hanging around with her, but there hasn't been any sex yet. Let's call her Mary.

Now, last weekend I saw Rhoda, and she invited me to a club this Thursday night. Because I couldn't come up with a good excuse fast enough, I said okay. I have been thinking of ending it with her, for various reasons.

Then I made plans with Mary for friday night, and I think this could be "the night" with her.

My problem is that if I go out with Rhoda on thursday, she will probably want to come back to my place and have sex, which I don't really want to do, because if I do that, then have to go to work the next day, then go out with Mary, I will probably be so exhausted that I might not be able to perform at a high level on what could be my first night of sex with her. Plus, I won't have time to clean my apartment from thursday night's activities. And I actually like Mary.

So I am thinking I should tell Rhoda that I don't want to have sex with her on Thursday. But I am wondering if I should say something ahead of time, or just wait until that night and make up some excuse at that time.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,269 • Replies: 174
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 10:34 pm
Ahead of time.

and don't count on the excuse if you don't want to, might not work out that way.

You say both of them know... Rhoda knows about Mary, but does Mary know about Rhoda?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 10:42 pm
Yes, they both know about each other. Not in great detail, but they know. The only problem with saying something ahead of time is that I'm not sure what excuse I could make up. If she has three or four days to catch me in the lie, I'm afraid I'll blow it. I can't tell her that I'm seeing this other woman, even though she knows about her, because even though she knows, to have that shoved in her face might not be such a nice feeling.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 10:45 pm
Well, then you gotta decide, dude. Are you willing to give up Rhoda for a chance at Mary?

I don't buy the "performance" thing, btw. Unless my experiences have been anamalous, with a whole day intervening, that shouldn't be an issue. I think you just feel kinda yucky about it, and you need to deal with that.

Sorry if that's too blunt...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 10:46 pm
errrrrr, quick sidebar - when i hit reply, this comes up at the top under subject ...
Quote:
The subject should be relevant to the topic or question. Ideally the subject line should be able to summarize the question. Using a relevant title will greatly increase the chances of an answer. An example of a bad title is: "HELP ME!" An example of a good title is: "How do I reinstall Windows XP?" Using all caps and screaming for help will usually mean most people ignore you. If you use a relevant title with relevant keywords more people will find your topic.
... is this supposed to be here?

now, the sex question. errrrr, howsabout letting Rhoda know that your plans don't involve going back to your place on Thursday night. If she asks why - tell her the truth. If she knows about Mary in any case, it shouldn't make any difference to her.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 10:48 pm
hmmmm, a sex buddy is a sex buddy, not someone you're having a relationship with (or so i learned from a radio documentary a coupla weeks ago). so telling the truth is the way to go.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 10:51 pm
Soz, you are right. The Yuk factor is a part of it.

Ehbeth. I don't know why you're getting that message or whether it should be there. Other than that, I'm not sure if I can tell her the truth. I have a feeling Rhoda will feel like I'm picking Mary over her. Even though she knows, isn't that kind of a slap in the face?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 10:52 pm
hmmmmm, does Rhoda realize that she's just a sex buddy, or does she think she has a relationship with you?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 10:54 pm
Oh no Rhoda is not not not that one chick...??!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 11:01 pm
Oh geez, now you're going to get me into the history of it all here.

Okay, I used to go out with Rhoda. This was almost a year ago. At the time, she was on a very intense quest to find the perfect guy to marry and have kids with, which I knew I'd never be. She is also a very jealous girl. I don't know how I got her to agree to this whole arrangement in the first place. I just remember how upset she was when I broke up with her. Then, after a little while, she decided that she could live with just having fun every once in awhile. But it's been awhile now, and she is starting to ask me to do things more and more lately. So I don't want her to get back into the "girlfriend" mindset, but I think she might be starting to do that a little bit. It's a fine line I'm walking here with her.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 11:03 pm
Soz, what are you asking there? Are you asking if it's the other one that I have asked for advice on before? The one I was friends with? No, it's not her. That didn't turn out so good, by the way.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 11:06 pm
OK, great, I'm glad it's not her. Sorry it didn't turn out well, though.

I think you need to settle things with Rhoda before you can go forward with Mary, Mr. Grant.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 11:07 pm
Soz, do you mean I should end it with Rhoda? Maybe I could set her up with Ted. Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 11:32 pm
Kicky - just cancel your plans entirely for thursday night - that's what I'd do. That way you don't really have to explain the sex thing.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 11:40 pm
K, I wish I could do that. Maybe I can. I am just afraid that she is going to flip out if I cancel totally. I don't know. It's tough, because she gets so crazy sometimes. Aaarrgh!!! This is driving me crazy!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 11:42 pm
ok, a crazy, jealous sex buddy is not a sex buddy. Sounds like she's a girlfriend-wanna-be.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 11:47 pm
Well, she might be, but I've been able to keep this thing going for quite a long time without too many problems. Maybe it's time I just ended the whole thing. Aaah, I give up for tonight. I'm going to have to sleep on it. Thanks for the advice.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 11:54 pm
I agree with littlek.

And I also think you need to fess up with Rhoda about the truth. If there is no other time you are honest with her, you need to be when you end the sex thing altogether with her. But if you're honest with her about this Thursday, you can segue into calling it quits on the sex thing with her too. (Or vice versa.)

I guess I'm answering this from my point of view. I'd want honesty over some excuse that smells like an excuse. Also, regarding Rhoda, if she was on this intense hunt for a hubby and kids a year ago, are you sure she isn't still expecting that with you? It's too bad you got roped into this whole casual sex thing with her 'cause I think it might be giving her false hope. From what you've described, I'd nip this in the bud as soon as possible. Would you be interested in a friendship with this girl? Or are you considering just dropping her altogether?
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 11:57 pm
Ooo, a few more posts have gone by since I started typing my last one.

I think you would be doing both you and Rhoda a favour by ending things, and maybe ending it completely. If she's someone you could see yourself being friends with, I'd definitely put forward the effort because it will likely be easier for her to go from a sex buddy to friend than to go from sex buddy to not being in your life at all.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 12:00 am
Chickens they come home to roost. I have grown fonder of truth, not only for truth, but its usefulness. Truth or quiet.

Kinder in the long run. People sometimes don't just go away (but then you know that) Rhoda is apt to be a problem. The current association is, I'm guessing, just temporizing for her. She probably gets it that you don't care thaaat much, but it may be what caring you show may be more than she is used to, or..... maybe not. Given past jealousy indications, huh. Chickens in your front yard.

Personally I see this as two separate situations. You could do better for yourself - not in the sense of a better person than Rhoda, because in the long run, Rhoda may be a fine person with a great heart (I dunno), but better in the way of not getting into using, being careful of that, which isn't easy, since even the most thoughtful do use each other sometimes.
I think you should treat Rhoda straight, knowing as I say this that she will probably be angry or hurt or both. I don't mean be bluntly mean. Express all the regard you can muster and mean it.

I think an excuse and then not calling again, avoiding calls from her, etc., is meaner.

And I don't know what you should tell Mary. Depends on who Mary is, exactly. She might be able to take the whole truth, especially if you have made the speech to R. In any case, don't lie. (never mind morals, it isn't useful in the long run, and saves psychic energy, saying this only half tongue in cheek.)
0 Replies