MOVIES THAT DONT HOLD UP WITH TIME

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 08:48 am
We taped and watched the original "Ocean's Eleven". Yesterday. It was a trite mish mash of vignettes of stars of the 50's with a smattering of plot. The Clooney Version of this movie is far better in MHO.
Several other movies of that age also seem to be mere collections of stars with little regard to a story. Today, we are ina similar dilemma wherein weve gotten so impressed with CGI and and other computer based "tricks" that any quality craft or plot is lost.

For every movie like "Lincoln" or even "Twenty Dolar Bill" we have 25 "Star Troopers"

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 08:54 am
@farmerman,
Nancy and I watched the Total Recall remake yesterday...and I was very disappointed. The plot sucked...special effects and fight scenes were all that was there.

I enjoyed the Ahhnold version much more.

farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 09:01 am
@Frank Apisa,
ell, thats one in the reverse column. I never thought much of the 1st and 2nd "King Kongs" but I did like the 3rd, which was a real popcorn chucker.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 10:07 am
I have tried to watch the original Ocean's Eleven at least three or four times, but could never abide over twenty minutes of it before turning away in disgust.
Most of Arnold's movies have held little interest for me. I sort of enjoyed one or two.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 10:09 am
@farmerman,
I was terrified of the original King Kong. Of course, I was just a kid. Now, the movie has its moments for me, but I agree the last version was the best. The second was so bad I never saw all of it.
raprap

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 10:19 am
The original 'Red Dawn' was a stinkeroo even at the time of Reagan. The remake is a double stinkerroo. Pee Ewe.

Rap
raprap

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 10:20 am
'Gone with the Wind' has become more jaded with time.

Rap
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 10:27 am
How many Johnny Depp movies are worth your time?
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 10:34 am
@edgarblythe,
Jezz...I love Johnny Depp movies...especially the light ones.

The Tourist was a delightful way to wile away two hours.

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 10:35 am
@Frank Apisa,
I never heard of The Tourist, frank.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 10:36 am
@edgarblythe,
Pure fluff, Edgar...but I enjoyed it. Give it a try.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 10:40 am
@Frank Apisa,
I caught most one Depp movie on TV, in which his son or somebody was a hostage. He was to assassinate somebody or the son would die. I liked that one.
farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 10:45 am
@edgarblythe,
I enjoyed the "Ichabod Crane" version with Depp.

I also was wondering what all the shouting was about wrt "GWTW"
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 10:52 am
Peripheral to this, but along the same lines, I watched the Roots mini-series re-run recently (or as much as I could take) and was appalled at how poor the production actually was.

When it ran originally, I thought it was terrific, but looking at it now...it was almost amateurish. The sets were horrible...and the African settings were even phonier than the old Tarzan movies. The acting was of old silent movies quality.

Things definitely have change dramatically over the years.
farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 11:07 am
@Frank Apisa,
Another one I think is kinda overly touted is "The Maltese Falcon"

wandeljw

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 11:13 am
@farmerman,
The Maltese Falcon does hold up, though. Peter Lorre is hilarious.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 11:15 am
Many older sci-fi flicks don't hold up. Some of that has to do with effects, some has to do with what the writers thought we'd have by now. It also has to do with styles of film making and whatever message they might've been sending.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Egad. Slow as molasses, pretending to be 2001 (which also has not aged well, but is, at least, better).
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 11:58 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I was terrified of the original King Kong. Of course, I was just a kid. Now, the movie has its moments for me, but I agree the last version was the best. The second was so bad I never saw all of it.

Sacrilege! The original King Kong is a masterpiece.
JPB

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 12:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
Chocolat

0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 12:04 pm
Birth of a Nation hasn't aged well at all.

http://oldschoolreviews.com/images/movies/birth_nation.jpg