MOVIES THAT DONT HOLD UP WITH TIME

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 02:34 pm
@Ragman,
I think that we have similar tastes in lousy movies. I think that The Night of the Living Dead is hilarious. It is a great flick to watch when you are feeling blue, as it is bound to tickle your funny bone.

NLD is a perfect example of a movie that is so bad, that it's wonderful!
Ragman

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 02:41 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I know that the producer of NLD, George Romero, is loved by many in the small cult of us oldie cinema lovers. There has been some sequels to it, namely Dawn of the Dead by Romero (1978), but nothing IMHO, touches the original. Dawn was pretty decent, FWIW. In fact some good critic/reviewers rave about it!

Here's the famous cinema reviewer Roger Ebert's review in 1979:

"Dawn of the Dead" is one of the best horror films ever made -- and, as an inescapable result, one of the most horrifying. It is gruesome, sickening, disgusting, violent, brutal and appalling. It is also (excuse me for a second while I find my other list) brilliantly crafted, funny, droll, and savagely merciless in its satiric view of the American consumer society. Nobody ever said art had to be in good taste.

It's about a mysterious plague that sweeps the nation, causing the recently dead to rise from their graves and roam the land, driven by an insatiable hunger for living flesh. No explanation is offered for this behavior -- indeed, what explanation would suffice? -- but there is a moment at which a survivor solemnly intones: "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 02:49 pm
@Ragman,
No, no, humor is humour.
Ragman

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 02:52 pm
@ossobuco,
Well done!
And it's all in what is 'favoured. So many crayons to chose from...colóur my world!
farmerman

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 03:07 pm
@Ragman,
Of the zombie movies out there, most will be forgotten, but I do sy tht I can watch"Sean of the Dead" over again
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 03:44 pm
@raprap,
If you've any interest in mysteries and rare books, you might take a look at John Dunning's Bookman series.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 03:53 pm
@Ragman,
I have a slight bias to Canadian/Brit spelling for some words because I spent a lot of time reading all that. I prefer travelling, for example, to simply traveling, which seems a tad naked.
Lash

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 04:10 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I wish I'd been able to like the ones you mentioned. Not bad in From Hell - LOL, I wonder why we like him so much when he disappoints so often. Nice to see ya.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 05:33 pm
The Bible doesn't hold up well.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 05:37 pm
@blatham,
Well, look who's here! Welcome home, Bernie!
blatham

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 05:39 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Very kind. And hello backwards.
farmerman

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 05:49 pm
@blatham,
OLLEH?
blatham

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 05:56 pm
@farmerman,
I'm not sure. Is that a sandwich spread?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 06:04 pm
@farmerman,
I used to dance with a nice Ukrainian fella called Oleh.

Mebbe Blatham's converted?
blatham

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 06:33 pm
@ehBeth,
To the Ukrainian? I didn't even know that was a possibility. So, that fills up next week.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 06:36 pm
@blatham,

Quote:
The Bible doesn't hold up well.

I heard it was a best seller last year.
Ragman

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 06:41 pm
@Frank Apisa,
It didn't have a prayer at the box-office.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 06:46 pm
@ossobuco,
Looking over at my bookshelf at Scott Peck book, The Road Less Traveled. Wow! Where have I been. I'd never realized it had the 2 spellings.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 06:55 pm
@blatham,
Actually, I didn't think it held up well the first go around. Smile
Ragman

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 07:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think it was due to alot of begatting and stuff!
0 Replies