MOVIES THAT DONT HOLD UP WITH TIME

wandeljw

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 05:09 pm
@farmerman,
Could you start a game thread on identifying movies by the pop songs they used?
0 Replies

hotsteve112

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 11:42 pm
@farmerman,
Nancy
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 11:18 am
@hotsteve112,
hotsteve112 wrote:

Nancy

I agree. Nancy definitely did not hold up with time -- at least in my experience.
farmerman

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 06:53 pm
@joefromchicago,
The two songs with the words
"Heaven, Im in heaven..." sung byF Astaire
and

"Leavin, on a jet plane, dont know when Ill be back again"... sung by John Denver

HAve something in common (moviewise)
What is it??
blatham

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 06:56 pm
@joefromchicago,
I'm with both of you on Nancy.

By way of contrast, The Stewardesses in 3D remains, on subsequent viewings, a magnificent work. In fact, I understand that the original and ground-breaking score will be adapted intact for an upcoming biopic on the life of Donald Trump.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 10:13 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

The two songs with the words
"Heaven, Im in heaven..." sung byF Astaire
and

"Leavin, on a jet plane, dont know when Ill be back again"... sung by John Denver

HAve something in common (moviewise)
What is it??

Both songs were written by composers who also wrote the lyrics.
Both songs were written by composers whose last names were the names of cities and whose names were originally something else.
Both songs were sung to Ginger Rogers.
blatham

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 08:42 am
@joefromchicago,
That's a hell of a good set of answers, joe, even if I'm quite unconvinced on the third.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 12:10 pm
@blatham,
That one might require documentation.

I'll add that Fred Astaire is right when he sings "I'm in heaven" because he's dead, and John Denver was right when he said he was "leaving on a jet plane," although it wasn't, strictly speaking, a jet. So both songs were prescient in predicting the singers' deaths.
farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 12:45 pm
@joefromchicago,
stick with the movie association
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 01:03 pm
@farmerman,
I have absolutely no clue as to what movie John Denver sang "Leavin' on a Jet Plane." Denver didn't have an extensive career in the movies, and the only ones I can think of are Oh God! and one of the Muppets movies, and I don't think he sang in any of those. I'm guessing, then, that it's a movie on which Denver only sings on the soundtrack, in which case I suppose my answer would be "who cares?" And if you're referring to a TV movie or show, then I'm legally entitled to stab you in the eye.
farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 01:07 pm
@joefromchicago,
maybe the assoiation isnt with the movie itself, but with some other feature critical to movies
Ragman

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 01:07 pm
@joefromchicago,
Pretty clever thinking, frankly. Though, if you hear candid interviews like from Ginger Rogers which indicated, that he might not have made it heavenly gates..due to a roadblock.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 01:10 pm
@farmerman,
I stand by my answers. Do you have a better one?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 01:11 pm
@farmerman,
The English Patient??????
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 05:02 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Pretty clever thinking, frankly. Though, if you hear candid interviews like from Ginger Rogers which indicated, that he might not have made it heavenly gates..due to a roadblock.

I think Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire got along just fine. The biggest problem might have been Rogers's mother, who was notorious throughout Hollywood as a meddling "stage mother" type. Rogers wanted to branch out into more dramatic roles, and she might have felt, by the end of their run at RKO, that she needed to move beyond musical-comedies, but she was also smart enough to know that those were the movies that paid the bills.
Ragman

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 05:09 pm
@joefromchicago,
Agreed!

I thought about my comment afterwards. I didn't mean to indicate they didn't have good relationship or that was nasty or vice versa. She has never said in any interview I've ever heard that they had a falling out either. I don't think it was in her nature to downgrade anyone, much less do it to Fred A. He sure as hell praised her to the high heavens, too.

However, he was a famous/infamous perfectionist and that must have made for extra long hard rehearsals. Considering what and how the end-product turned out, it was well worth it. Some of the best dance scenes in cimena were created by these two (plus Hermes Pan the choreographer).

I just looked at a Youtube clip of some of their famous routines and I barely saw them ever looking down. They actually looked they enjoyed it and each other. She made it look seamless as though she weren't acting, too, though he wasn't that natural an actor.

Also her scheduled work day with filming at other locations and other movie sites must have made her worn to a frazzle. I'm sure no modern day actor/performer could handle what these consummate pros did.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 05:16 pm
@joefromchicago,
Astaire gave my mother a box of candy at christmas. My mother informed me, back in my youth, that Ginger Rogers had raggedy fingernails. (My mother was a secretary at rko.)

Osso waltzes off, staring at her own raggy fingernails. But... Ginger could dance.

roger

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 05:18 pm
@farmerman,
Sounds like something that would get you arrested in Arkansas.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 05:30 pm
@ossobuco,
..and act pretty well...and look pretty as a movie star.
farmerman

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 01:36 pm
@Ragman,
THE ANSWER IS

In two movies, these two songs were sung for the attention of Michael Clarke Duncan (Green Mile and Whole 9 Yards)