MOVIES THAT DONT HOLD UP WITH TIME

BillRM

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 12:16 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
we have 25 "Star Troopers"

The damn book was not bad at all but the movie you got to be joking.

Should be a special place in hell for anyone that turned a more then fair book into a junk movie.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 12:20 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
Birth of a Nation hasn't aged well at all.

Nor had reefer madness even as a joke.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 12:33 pm
Marilyn Monroe looks distinctly chubby, if not actually fat, these days.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 01:18 pm
Any movie that heavily depended on a fad contemporary to the time the movie was made is cringe-worthy today. Elvis movies, "mod" 1960's sex comedies, and even some social cause movies such as Billy Jack, now make me cringe.
BillRM

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 01:37 pm
@wandeljw,
Quote:
Elvis movies, "mod" 1960's sex comedies, and even some social cause movies such as Billy Jack, now make me cringe.

Some of the actions done by the male stars in 1950s romances movies would have the men locked up by our society current standards and morals.
roger

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 02:36 pm
@BillRM,
And some of our current standards would have had us locked up in the '50s.
BillRM

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 02:39 pm
@roger,
Quote:
And some of our current standards would have had us locked up in the '50s.

At least in a mental hospital. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 02:39 pm
@BillRM,
ome of the old "action genre"ovies held up a bit better because they take a topic that is still subject of conjecture. Stuff like "The Valley of the Kings" or the first and third of the Indiana Jones movies.
canadian movies about the exploration of the continent hold up really well. 70s versions like "The Black Robe" or"The Trap" with Oliver REed are still a good watch and fit on my "I can watch this over and over" list.

Teeny Bopper movies of all ages fare poorly as well. As did most of the Disney (pre-Pixar) comedies
farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 02:41 pm
@farmerman,
Any movie where people wear leisure suits or flammable clothing is usually pretty bad
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 02:41 pm
@farmerman,
Any movie where people wear leisure suits or flammable clothing is usually pretty bad
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 04:51 am
Scudda Hoo Scudda Hay, which was, i believe, Natalie Woods' first motion picture. This depicts a way of life which would be alien even to most rural Americans these days.
farmerman

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 05:11 am
@Setanta,
even the name imparts a date to that one. Sounds like "23 skiddoo"
0 Replies

nothingtodo

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 05:17 am
@joefromchicago,
Neither has 'roots' endured the times changes.. most regrettably.

BillRM
Yes I noticed that quite a lot, still to this day, the avid adrenaline junky, who by default watches EVERY major horror flick, gets accused of being evil by statisticians.
farmerman

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 05:22 am
@nothingtodo,
Ill bet you like "Honey Boo Boo"
nothingtodo

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 05:29 am
@farmerman,
Never heard of it, I think I will prefer Prometheus.
I enjoyed Pandorum, for its wander around fascinating ethical worries.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 05:55 am
I watched the original broadcast of Roots and was loving it up to nearly the end, where the events became ridiculous. I have resisted seeing it again. Roots Two held less interest for me, but I did see much of it.
nothingtodo

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 05:58 am
@edgarblythe,
Hmm, It appears to not mesh very well with the younger of us, by worry not, many diverse wonders rest in place of it.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 07:32 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
watched the original broadcast of Roots and was loving it up to nearly the end, where the events became ridiculous. I have resisted seeing it again. Roots Two held less interest for me, but I did see much of it.

Is that not the silly picture that showed evil whites chasing the happy tribal members around the jungle?

Instead of the tribal chiefs cheerfully selling their enemies tribes members or their own troublemakers to the European slavers directly or by way of the Arabs?
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 07:49 am
I'm not sure that old movies aren't the only ones that don't hold up with time.

For instance, I still think that the 40 era 'Sierra Madre' is a timeless movie, and that 'Casablanca' is still an enjoyable watch.

On the other hand 'Abraham Lincoln--Vampire Hunter' is an example of a movie that didn't hold up for much more than 60 seconds after the credits stopped rolling. And special effects (and large budget) really aren't a good substitute for plot set-up and writing--

I writing quality is an example of 'pop culture' influencing a movie legs--in five years 'Twilight' will be nearly extinguished but 'Diary of a Vampire' will still burn as a good rewatch.

Rap
nothingtodo

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 08:29 am
@raprap,
On that note, interview with a vampire will Never fade, I believe.
0 Replies