MOVIES THAT DONT HOLD UP WITH TIME

farmerman

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 08:33 am
@raprap,
Ive just used a few "Old movies" that have been considered semi classics in my original list. Weve named a few of the "not so old" ones as those that got dated really quickly.

However, time is the key factor in whether a film lasts or not.
ALL the Rambo movies fit the categorie of NOT HOLDING UP.
Like Billy Jack, these films are redolent of the late 70's and 80's culture. I think weve moved beyond all that with some "New wars" to inspect.

But, as my original nominee (Rat PAck version of OCEAN's ELEVEN), this one was the stinkeroo which shall remain as my "Type section"
raprap

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 12:00 pm
Perhaps it might be easier to name movies that stand up with time; Citizen Kane and Grapes of Wrath come to mind.

Rap
nothingtodo

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 12:05 pm
@farmerman,
I am not so sure that Rambo -first blood, does not hold up, at least to those who have not watched it or similar yet.

If you look back on that one, there are some quite dominant and modern scenes, to do with what the rogue is and it can still be quite... erm... 'Cool'.
Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 12:21 pm
Even though it is dated, I think that the original Manchurian Candidate has stood up, because it was so superbly done. I would say that it stands up as a period piece.

The newer version, made just a couple of years ago, IMO did not hold up, even when it was first released. To someone who knew the original, the new version made no sense.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 12:29 pm
@nothingtodo,
nothingtodo wrote:

I am not so sure that Rambo -first blood, does not hold up, at least to those who have not watched it or similar yet.

If you look back on that one, there are some quite dominant and modern scenes, to do with what the rogue is and it can still be quite... erm... 'Cool'.

Yup - Rambo pt. 1, is a great movie.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 12:37 pm
I'd say that any of the "worst best pictures" identified in this thread would qualify as not having held up well over time.
farmerman

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 01:07 pm
@joefromchicago,
EXCELLENT> However, theres abunch of early films I cannot comment upon in your list. Most films made in the 20's and 30's (with the exception of those featuring the Marx Brothers). I will try to avoid .
Its like someone inviting you to Bayreuth toattend the entire "Ring Cycle"
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 02:45 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I would be delighted to attend the Ring cycle in Bayreuth.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 02:57 pm
@wandeljw,
My father talked a few times with the guy who did the Billy Jack stuff. I forget his name. He liked him at the time, plus needed a job. I'd forgotten that until you just mentioned it. If I remember, and I may not, he went to our church. So did a lot of famosos, at least on major occasions.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 03:01 pm
@raprap,
Rap, start a thread, that's a good idea. Lots of us might go for it.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 03:17 pm
A great scifi movie that has weather the generations in my opinion is Forbidden Planet.
farmerman

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 03:20 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:

I would be delighted to attend the Ring cycle in Bayreuth
Without dugs or anything alcoholic.
Thus could stand with some additional exploration.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 03:23 pm
@raprap,
I liked Sierra Madre, Casblanca, and Key Largo among otherBogart movies
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 03:33 pm
@farmerman,
Farmerman wrote:
MOVIES THAT DONT HOLD UP WITH TIME

Jean-Luc Godard: Sympathy For The Devil. About a third of the movie follows The Rolling Stones as they rehearse and record this seminal song. The other two thirds document various performance-art, um, performances, which no doubt seemed clever, progressive, and world-changing at the time. The parts about the Stones' music are as young as ever; the performance-art parts look painfully embarrassing today.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 03:34 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
A great scifi movie that has weather the generations in my opinion is Forbidden Planet
Everytime Id seen that movie on MST300, Id see the young Lt Drebban
Ragman

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 03:35 pm
@farmerman,
"Monsters from the id"

My focus is the young Anne Francis (hubba hubba)

Quote:
I liked Sierra Madre, Casblanca, and Key Largo among otherBogart movies

I'll ditto liking those and add Tracy movies..and Tracy-Hepburne movies
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 03:54 pm
Several people have mentioned The Treasure of Sierra Madre.

The film holds a special boyhood memory for me. I went to see the movie and that evening I was listening to Radio with my parents…a quiz show called Quick As A Flash…and one of the gimmick questions was to give clues about a movie which the contestant used to guess the movie’s title. After just the first clue…I shouted out, “The Treasure of Sierra Madre”, which turned out to be the correct answer.

I can still remember how proud I was. Little did I know that the movie would live in cinematic history because of a line (the often misquoted “I don't have to show you any stinking badges”) delivered by a guy who terrified me during the movie.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 04:33 pm
@raprap,
raprap wrote:

The original 'Red Dawn' was a stinkeroo even at the time of Reagan. The remake is a double stinkerroo. Pee Ewe.

Rap

Nonsense. Just watched it again the other day and it holds up very well.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 04:34 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

I was terrified of the original King Kong. Of course, I was just a kid. Now, the movie has its moments for me, but I agree the last version was the best. The second was so bad I never saw all of it.

Sacrilege! The original King Kong is a masterpiece.

Absolutely.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 04:47 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Jawohl!
0 Replies