MOVIES THAT DONT HOLD UP WITH TIME

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2013 09:27 am
@Thomas,
Now THAT'S an idea!!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2013 11:01 am
If we're into all-time stinkers, I'll nominate "Wild women of Wonga".
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2013 07:57 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Its hard not to like a movie with Geena Davis and the banana boat song.

Rap
Lash

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2013 09:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
As much as I love Depp, the only movies he did that I really like are "Edward Scissorhands" "The Libertine," "Chocolat," and "Sleepy Hollow." He's done so many more that I can't stand - but when he's good, he's exquisite. The Tourist was a remake - a very hot, much better version with unknown actors is available - a French movie Anthony Zimmer.
Lash

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2013 09:10 pm
@raprap,
Abe Lincoln Vampire Killer (you likely know) owes to this relatively new genre steampunk. Seems to be an acquired taste but I LOVE the clothes and accessories.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 12:24 am
Too many suggestions for movies that didn't hold up when they were released, let alone years later.

No one thought Plan 9 From Outer Space was a great movie when it was released and so it clearly will not have held up over time.

That it continues to be watched today is because it is so bad, not because it is timeless.

And anyone who disagrees is just stupid, stupid, stupid!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 12:34 am
@Lash,
I like Johhny Depp quite alot

He strikes out more than he hits a homer, but he's more than willing to try all sorts of roles.

I think he was great in a number of movies:

Ed Wood
Edward Scissorhands
Once Upon a Time in Mexico
Pirates of the Caribbean - The First
Finding Neverland
From Hell

He was good in a fine movie (The Ninth Gate) based on a great book (The Club Dumas)

He can get a bit goofy.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 12:41 am
This one is bound to invoke some outrage:

Vertigo

Amazingly (at least to me) it replaced Citizen Kane as the all time greatest film according to the Sight & Sounds critics poll.

I just watched it again several weeks ago and found it insufferable.

Half way through I left the room but could still hear it and the soundtrack drove me nuts!

Maybe it was ground breaking in its time, but it is so dated now as to be unwatchable.

Citizen Kane, on the other hand seems almost fresh when compared to today's films.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 12:45 am
@Frank Apisa,
Perhaps, but I suspect that Tarrantino films will not at all hold up over time.

I like them quite a lot, but they are so anchored in not only contemporary references but allusions to past films that I can't imagine they will be appreciated very much once his primary audience is dead and gone, except as a novelty.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 12:52 am
@raprap,
Interesting.

You are thinking of The Wind and The Lion.

Connery played Mulai Ahmed er Raisuli, who was by no means the Prince of Thieves.

The film's director was John Milius, the very same guy who directed Red Dawn.

A beautiful movie.

The scene where the Raisuli rides down, on a beach, the blue garbed captors of Mrs Peridicaris is wonderful.

The movie also featured one of the most beautiful horses ever seen.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 12:54 am
@Lash,
A surpisingly good movie.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 03:55 am
Those old very long epics (with intermissions) don't hold up. I'm thinking of Ben Hur and The Ten Commandments.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 04:13 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I always had this problem with 'The Ninth Gate". Depp was this antique book dealer that handled a very rare and very old book like it was a cheap paperback.

I know this is a minor plot action, but I been around enough old book dealers to know that old books tend to be fragile and to watch the character that Depp was portraying in "The Ninth Gate' shove that book in that messinger bag constantly reminded me that this movie was obviously a fantasy.

Rap
raprap

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 07:00 am
Been doing some thinking about movies that are based upon short stories and novellas of Philip K Dick. Several of these movies are outstanding, and stand up well with time (Blade Runner, A Scanner Darkly, Minority Report) but one should have been tossed onto the scrapheap of best forgotten movies.

I'm speaking of Schwarzenegger's 'Total Recall.' Based upon the short 'We can Remember it for you Wholesale' it stinks royally. It did when it was first released and it continues to reek higher ever since. I was hoping it would be finally forgotten, but the recent remake only revived this putred stinker on the TV reruns.

Rap
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 07:39 am
@Phoenix32890,
Oh, by all means..as far as Bettlejuice goes, I think of it as cinematic gold ... besides being campy! I feel withdrawal if I don't see it periodically.

I have a soft spot in my heart, obviously, for movies where I don't have to think ... periodically.

Then there's the low-budget horror movie Night of the Living Dead! I saw it for the first time in 1972, in of all places, a Brooklyn movie house. This was apparently an audience participation event, where when Zombies attacked an audience member yelled out things like, "Save me the big pieces!"
Ragman

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 07:51 am
@raprap,
I need to clear something up you wrote. Pardon my nitpicking if I'm mistaken about your intent..but it's unclear if you accidentally joined two separate thoughts together. Geena Davis, the Banana Boat song and the actress featured singing and doing the dance are not the same. Of course, Geena was the movie's co-star. FWIW, that actress singing/dancing was Catherine O'Hara, from SNL.
djjd62

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 08:08 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
FWIW, that actress singing/dancing was Catherine O'Hara, from SNL.

actually SCTV

During a short time in the early 1980s when SCTV was in between network deals, she was hired to replace Ann Risley when Saturday Night Live was being retooled in 1981. However, she quit the show without ever appearing on air, choosing to go back to SCTV when the show signed on with NBC. Her SNL position was then given to fellow Canadian Robin Duke

she did host SNL twice in the early 90's
Ragman

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 08:28 am
@djjd62,
Thanks, Deej, for the correction and the SNL clarification. She is/was VERRY funny as Lola Heatherton and many other dramatic as well as comic characters.
djjd62

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 08:35 am
@Ragman,
SCTV has long been a favourite of mine, dare i say it, even better than the original cast of SNL (which was pretty damn good)
Ragman

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 02:03 pm
@djjd62,
For my taste...they've both got a fond place in my heart. Also, it becomes hazy because people like John Candy went from one to the other and were great in both.

Of course, I'm not Canadian but regardless...humor is humor, right?