Mon 17 Dec, 2012 03:13 am
I've mentioned this previously...

There are basically two definitions of an assault weapon, i.e. a political and a military definition.

The political definition is basically just anything which, on a scale of one to ten for being scary looking to demokkkrats, goes much over a six.

The real military definition is more complex. Most assume a weapon has to be at least semi-automatic and preferably automatic to quality but, in real life, that's not really necessary. In fact in real life, most people attempting to fire any military weapon in full auto mode will never hit anything with it.

What you really want and need for an assault weapon are things which work well in assault situations:

• Big enough to injure a human adversary badly enough to take him out of the battle.
  • Otherwise fairly small, easy to load up with lots of ammo and carry lots of ammo around. That says small caliber; the tradeoff is that you assume you're not shooting anything past about 300 meters which is normal for most military situations. This eliminates the idea of taking 600 meter shots with an assault rifle. One guy in the squad carries something which CAN do that.
  • Quick (aimed) follow on shots.
  • Light, easy to carry and manipulate.

Add to that list the ideas that it would be good if the thing never jammed and were easy to clean. Add all of that up, and what I come up with is a lot different from the pictures you usually see:

These are the two rifles I'd ask you to look at:

http://www.gunthings.com/arsisrheavy.jpg

http://www.weaponsandgear.com/pictures/_H/_Henry%20Repeating%20Arms/HENH001TM_1.jpg

The Israeli heavy barreled FAL rifle is basically a conversation piece for older people, way too heavy and clunky to meet the military definition of an "assault rifle"; in the Israeli army it served the dual purpose of sniper rifle and squad level light machinegun.

The little 22-magnum caliber Henry Rifle, assuming it was using the newest Hornady ammo with 45-grain bullets meets the military definition other than for lacking a detachable magazine which would be a slight modification and in fact it would surprise me if the military hasn't looked into it.

The Henry is a $330 item on Gunbroker or at BassPro or Gander Mountain.

OmSigDAVID

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 03:24 am
@gungasnake,
An "assault rifle" must be fully automatic.
gungasnake

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 03:28 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I don't see the need for that. Anybody could learn to operate a lever-action fast enough for the use involved.
0 Replies

raprap

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 04:05 am
@gungasnake,
An 'Assault Rifle' can be fired in an automatic mode and has a detachable high capacity magazine.

The Henry lever action 22 carbine has neither.

Ganja--get yourself tested for heavy metal poisoning--I fear that your mental capacity is slipping.

Rap
Walter Hinteler

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 04:10 am
@gungasnake,
"Assault rifle" is no or did you register it?

It's just the English translation of the German word "Sturmgewehr", and that was coined by Hitler ...
H2O MAN

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 07:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Assault rifles are smaller than and chambered for a round that is smaller than Battle rifles (M14, FAL) and they give the operator the ability to switch from semi to full and sometimes burst. The M16 and AK 47 are assault rifles, but their semi automatic only cousins the AR-15 and AKM are not assault rifles.
0 Replies

djjd62

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 08:37 am
@gungasnake,
i'd like an Insult Rifle, sort of like the pistols that have the flag that says BANG, but this rifle would have a flag that says **** YOU FUCKSTICK
H2O MAN

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 08:38 am
@djjd62,
But how would that protect you and others from evil?
djjd62

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 08:41 am
@H2O MAN,
i live in Canada, we rarely do evil where i live
H2O MAN

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 08:50 am
@djjd62,

True and I can appreciate that.

I can also appreciate the weapon innovation coming from Canada.
My new Blackfeather "RS" (rifles stock) is a shining example of North of the border innovation.

http://www.athenswater.com/images/CQB-16-BFRS-12-13-12.jpg

This is not, nor has it ever been considered to be an 'assault rifle', it's too heavy, it's chambered for 7.62x51 NATO and it is semi-auto only.
This is a civilian clone of a military battle rifle. - NOT an assault rifle.

parados

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 08:59 am
@H2O MAN,
Nice weapon Spurt. Sorry about your penis.
H2O MAN

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 09:00 am
@parados,
You do have some sharp teeth
0 Replies

djjd62

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 09:01 am
@H2O MAN,
it's not he guns that perplex me about Americans, it's the idea you mentioned of protecting yourself from evil

why do you think the evil is so prevalent

i live 20 miles from the Detroit border, Windsor, the closest city to me has some of the highest unemployment rates in the country (like Detroit, it's an auto based economy), we have crime, but not the violent crime like across the border, so far this year we've had one homicide, a stabbing and few years back we went two years with out a homicide

H2O MAN

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 09:10 am
@djjd62,
Evil is everywhere.
It is the job of men to defend the sheeple from the evil wolf, but for some reason our politicians decided to create target rich gun free environments that invite evil to come in and do what they do best. This political mindset breeds more evil because the politicians have given them the green light. Law enforcement is handcuffed by politics. Law abiding citizens are handcuffed by politics.

Train and arm a number of adults in each and every school. Post signs on every door stating that evil will not be allowed on the property and back up your promise to protect the children, because the politicians can't do it for you.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 09:11 am
@djjd62,
Quote:

The wolves and bears in Canada are all tame?
H2O MAN

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 09:14 am
@gungasnake,
Guns are not the only tools used by evil ones...

Bath, Michigan School Disaster
djjd62

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 09:16 am
@gungasnake,
i have no problem with long guns (see the school shooting thread)

djjd62 wrote:

as a Canadian, i'm not anti gun, i've had friends who owned handguns and have gone to ranges to shoot

i see no need to own a handgun and not being a hunter i don't own a long gun, but i'd like to live up north someday, and would probably own a long gun of some sort (there are bears in the area i'd like to live)

i'm glad we have the restrictions we do, owning a long gun in Canada is actually pretty easy, hand guns not so much

i don't for the most part fear my fellow citizens

H2O MAN

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 09:23 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
i don't for the most part fear my fellow citizens

neither do I
RABEL222

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 01:39 pm
@H2O MAN,
Do any of you know the definition of paranoid.
ehBeth

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 02:13 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Quote:

The wolves and bears in Canada are all tame?

they're not evil

rhetorical question - why are Americans such a frightened group of people? truly bizarre to watch