Another major school shooting today ... Newtown, Conn

oralloy

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 06:11 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
James Holmes used it to commit mass murder in the Aurora movie theater.

Well, he tried. It jammed. Then he had to use his ordinary shotgun.
firefly

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 06:13 pm
@oralloy,
And you keep repeating yourself because "you are too stupid to come up with anything intelligent," parrotboy.
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_265/12100531872tit7A.jpg
spendius

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 06:21 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
How do you quantify the joy of a life saved with a gun?

I know. You can't because you don't hear of them. But how many lives are saved by privately owned guns compared to those lost by them?

I'll admit that we don't really know. Many potential shooters may be deterred. But others are not.

But the comparisons with other countries which have gun bans shout the answer loud and clear.

But the vast majority of the pleasure from squeezed triggers still has to be set against the pain of the squeezed triggers. Which is often infinite.

Small pleasure for large numbers set against infinite pain for whoever feels it.

You can see how finite the pleasure is from the act having to be repeated again and again. The pleasure is short lived. That is the nature of pleasure so that we don't pop our corks. The pain is forever and that is the nature of pain.

And the pain is universal whereas there are many other choices which produce pleasure.
oralloy

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 06:29 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
you are too stupid to come up with anything intelligent

You trash shouldn't run around falsely accusing your betters of your own stupidity.
oralloy

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 06:31 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
But the comparisons with other countries which have gun bans shout the answer loud and clear.

They don't have the US Constitution protecting their freedom. In the US, our freedom trumps all else.
firefly

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 06:33 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
You trash shouldn't run around falsely accusing your betters of your own stupidity.

http://www.freedomvillage.net/HTMLobj-16390/aniGif.gif
http://images.firstcovers.com/covers/c/clueless-2522.jpg
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 06:52 pm
@tsarstepan,
@ ALL

For all the people who think "more guns" is the answer to the general problem we are discussing, a couple of questions:

Imagine a room in which there are 100 people none of whom have a gun...and a different room in which there are also 100 people, of which 50 have guns.

All other things being equal, would you say the chances of someone getting shot in the latter room is greater or lesser than someone getting shot in the former?

Now...change the "50 guns" to whatever number you want until your answer does not become, the chances are greater of someone getting shot in the latter than in the former.

HINT: The chances of someone getting shot in the latter are much, much greater!

Tell us all the number of guns that must be contained in the latter room before the chances of someone getting shot in each room are at least equal.

DrewDad

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 06:59 pm
@Val Killmore,
Apparently you don't understand English any better than you understand what a strawman argument is.
Ceili

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 07:11 pm
@oralloy,
So, your right to own a gun trumps the life of another? Tell me this is not what your founding fathers wanted.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 07:20 pm
@Ceili,
Quote:
So, your right to own a gun trumps the life of another? Tell me this is not what your founding fathers wanted.

You first have to prove how his right to own arms is a threat to others. Could it be that even if we took all the guns away from law abiding citizens that criminals will not give theirs up? I think it may be to late to take away guns in the US because there are far to many and you will not be able to get rid of them all.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 07:37 pm
@Ceili,
I very well may be wrong and if it was mandatory that all guns be confiscated that the problems would soon be less. I do think that this would eventually be the outcome of guns but I do wonder if something else would take their place.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 07:38 pm
@oralloy,
Oraboy you haven't answered my question--as a matter of 'truth' you haven't answered anyone question. But I boil mine down to a single simple3 one for my self-appointed 'better'.

What kind of varmit hunter can need a 30 round magazine?"

A simple question for someone so obviously superior!

Rap

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 07:44 pm
@raprap,
Quote:
What kind of varmit hunter needs a 30 round magazine?"

I seen where someone wished he had used a weapon like that but instead what happened was.

A man was in his yard burning leaves and went inside for a glass of tea and seen a rat in his kitchen,
He was able to catch it some how and thought it would be a good idea to throw it in the pile of leaves he had on fire, Well long story short the rat ran out of the burning pile of leaves and under his house and burnt it down to the ground.

Do you think that a 30 round magazine may have been a better choice?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 07:59 pm
@reasoning logic,
Oh my god.. you gun people are so predictable.
Nobody is talking about taking all your guns away. Quit being so fatalistic.
Nobody thinks this will be an overnight success. Nobody thinks it will be easy. And nobody thinks criminals are going to give up their guns. But... what you do is have periodic gun amnesty programs where people who have a change of heart can give them up or be paid for their guns. Keep in mind, this is only guns and "harmless accessories" (political correctness is not just for the left folks..) that are deemed too dangerous to be in the hands of the general public.
Crimes committed with or owners found with these guns in defiance of the law should be punished.
Gun owners should pay a liability insurance for every gun owned, and if a crime is committed with banned guns, you should be held liable for the crime, as obviously you, the defiant gun owner couldn't take care of the gun or abide the law.
oralloy

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 08:14 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:
Nobody is talking about taking all your guns away. Quit being so fatalistic.

People are talking about banning firearms which the Constitution protects our right to have.

Now, it has become clear that the House Democrats stand with the NRA in opposing such a ban, but people here are still talking about it.

Ceili wrote:
Nobody thinks this will be an overnight success. Nobody thinks it will be easy. And nobody thinks criminals are going to give up their guns. But... what you do is have periodic gun amnesty programs where people who have a change of heart can give them up or be paid for their guns. Keep in mind, this is only guns and "harmless accessories" (political correctness is not just for the left folks..) that are deemed too dangerous to be in the hands of the general public.

Harmless cosmetic features are not in any way dangerous at all.

Ceili wrote:
Crimes committed with or owners found with these guns in defiance of the law should be punished.

There can be no law against them, as we have the right to have them.

Ceili wrote:
Gun owners should pay a liability insurance for every gun owned,

Sure, as soon as people start paying to exercise Free Speech and Freedom of Religion. And let's bring back the poll tax while you're at it.

Ceili wrote:
and if a crime is committed with banned guns, you should be held liable for the crime, as obviously you, the defiant gun owner couldn't take care of the gun or abide the law.

The only people "defying the law" would be the people trying to impose an illegal ban on guns that the Constitution protects our right to have.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 08:14 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

My right to own a gun does not cost any lives.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 08:16 pm
@Ceili,
Quote:

I only own one gun and I have not shot it in years. Do I sound like a predictable gun owner to you?

The last time I shot Sharwin was at target practice about 3 years ago.

raprap

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 08:22 pm
@oralloy,
Answer the F**king question OraBoy!!! Show me your supposed superiority!!!!

Else the only thing you've demonstrated is that addition to being a F**ktard, you are a coward.

Rap
0 Replies

Val Killmore

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 08:42 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Apparently you don't understand English any better than you understand what a strawman argument is.

Now I don't understand English?
More good guys with guns is more tragedies like Connecticut waiting to happen in another school ("other side of the ship")?
It's as if you want it to happen again ("Titanic should hit another iceberg") just so you have more corpses to stay behind to push your agenda and tell LaPierre "I told you so."
I think I understand English just well, but it's just that you have a sick mind.You better see a psychiatrist with such a sick mind. I wonder how poorly your kids are treated when you yourself have proved to be a nut. I feel sorry for your kids to have a dad like you, Drewdad.

Then you go on to make an interesting statement "I had to go take some time to pull myself together, thinking about what those families are having to go through."
Given the context you have given, I suppose from mirthful laughter, it'd take you take some time to pull yourself together, especially if you're laughing so heartily.

Val Killmore

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 08:43 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

I'll say to you what I said to oralloy...

We previously did have an assault weapons ban--it was not ruled unconstitutional. We need another ban, one with fewer loop-holes, and one with a better definition of "assault weapon" that more clearly reflects the intention of the ban and what it is designed to prevent.

And, Justice Scalia has clearly said that some weapons can be prohibited from sale, and some people can be prohibited from buying.

I'll trust Scalia's interpretation over yours any day.

Quote:
If the anti gun advocates called handguns 'killing machines'...

Some handguns are killing machines. Feel better now, VK?

All guns are killing machines--that's what guns are meant to do.

That's why we need gun control and regulation.

That's not being "anti-gun", it's about creating safer conditions for having guns in circulation so the general public is not unduly endangered.

Why can't firearms be called 'self defense apparatuses' or 'life-saving tools?'

http://media11.dropshots.com/photos/50479/20120727/183119.jpg

Quote:
Some handguns are killing machines. Feel better now, VK?

Really, some handguns are killing machines? Then which handguns are not killing machines?

Quote:
All guns are killing machines--that's what guns are meant to do.

Wait, back up, I thought you implied some handguns are not killing machine. If some handguns are not killing machines then why are all guns killing machines? Are you suggesting that some handguns that are not killing machines are not guns?

Quote:
That's why we need gun control and regulation.

That's not being "anti-gun", it's about creating safer conditions for having guns in circulation so the general public is not unduly endangered.

I'm ok with gun control and regulation, as long as the government doesn't take the constitution and wipe there ass with it. As long as "stricter" doesn't mean unconstitutional.
I've been meaning to ask you, what do you want to define assault weapons as?
Based on the 1994 AWB, this is that deemed "assault weapon" to be more "dangerous" than a semi auto.
http://cdn2.cheaperthandirt.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/AWB.jpg
By you wanting better definition, do you want Assault weapons redefined to include all semi-autos? If so you're anti gun not to mention that it is not constitutional.

You can’t legislate away violence. Mass killings are almost always the product of mental illness, but most homicides by firearms do not occur during mass shootings. They occur in everyday incidences of domestic violence, drug-trade related violence, poverty related crime, etc.
That’s not to say that I’m against thorough background checks, mental health screening, etc. If we can keep dangerous individuals from buying handguns legally, we at least partially cut down on their ability to acquire them (They could still be bought illegally).
As a moderate democrat, I'll be disappointed in Obama if he reinstates any form of AWB.
The extraordinary rise in gun sales, both handguns and rifles, indicates any attempt to re-instate any form of AWB would be widely unpopular and would subject the bill’s sponsors and supporters to considerable opposition from their constituents.
Now, I do agree it’s reasonable to draw lines. Where do we draw them? Tanks, nukes, fighter jets, and blackhawks (not that me, you, or any average citizen could afford them in the first place). Weapons such as AK’s, AR-15’s, and even shotguns aren’t meant to be carried around, but for home defense and mainly to protect yourself against a tyrannical government. Criminals can get their hands on AR-15’s, AK’s, and pretty much any other type of gun if the AWB if reinstated from the black market easily. So, it makes no sense to tell the good citizens they can’t have them.

I have faith that Scalia would not support legislation that is unconstitutional. As a constitutional originalist, Scalia has said determinations regarding barring of certain high-powered weapons will have to be made “very carefully” looking within the context of 18th-century history.
0 Replies