Another major school shooting today ... Newtown, Conn

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 04:55 pm
@thack45,
Totally agree with you, thack. None of this is about guns or 2nd Amendment rights or anything remotely like that. It's about a culture of mindless violence and an ever increasing rate of severe mental illness. This is mass psychosis running amok. And it seems to be getting worse. Something in our water? Or air?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 04:58 pm
@JPB,
geez louise.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 04:59 pm
@McTag,
Well, sure. (that's not sarcastic, I agree with you)
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Roberta

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 05:23 pm
Sad and enraged. We all look for answers. I don't know that there are any.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 05:43 pm
The horror of this event is mind numbing.

It's pretty terrible for a child to kill his parents, but at least it can make some sense given certain circumstances. It's heinous, but not blatantly insane.

Walking into an elementary school and randomly killing innocent children is beyond comprehension.

Did this killer want to assure that his name would be remembered over all of the other murderous madmen by killing children? It's the only possible reason I can imagine.

It's just hard to believe that someone capable of this would not have been glowing with insanity during at least the days and weeks leading up to it.

Events like these often lead to overreaction and I'm not referring to gun control. I suspect we'll start hearing calls for a greater ease of involuntary commitment to mental institutions.

It sure seems like the incidence of these horrible events is on the rise, and if it is, whatever is behind it is deeply rooted in our society and will be difficult to uncover and address.

DrewDad

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 05:46 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Did this killer want to assure that his name would be remembered over all of the other murderous madmen by killing children? It's the only possible reason I can imagine.

I suspect that it was something like jealously/anger/hatred that his mom gave so much time and affection to those kids.
oralloy

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 06:30 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
No. It's not too soon in fact it's far too late to start discussing gun control.

Can't see how gun control would have made any difference. These guns were already bought and registered in compliance with some pretty restrictive state laws.

In any case, any proposed gun control needs to comply with the Second Amendment.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 06:30 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
None of this would have happened if those kindergartners had been armed.

Better to arm the teachers. But don't take that as a guarantee that none of it would have happened anyway.
oralloy

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 06:31 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
If not kindergartners themselves then kindergarten teachers.

Yes. With the proper training, having armed teachers would be a good thing.
oralloy

@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I think it's embarrassing to compare the cruelties against homosexuals, social-democrats, communists and especially the Jews during the Nazi time with a terrible school shooting.

But he wasn't comparing them. He was saying that gun control leads to such atrocities.
0 Replies

oralloy

@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
Speaking of snakes, what you couldn't resist posting here is so disrespectful and disgusting. What a scummy snake you really are.

There was nothing disrespectful in his post. And instead of falsely accusing others of scum, why not clean up your own act instead?
Mame

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 06:32 pm
@oralloy,
Oh lovely. What a nice sight for a five year old --- seeing his or her teacher bringing out a pistol and shooting a guy. The guy may have shot the teacher first, in any case.
Lustig Andrei

@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:
None of this would have happened if those kindergartners had been armed.

Better to arm the teachers. But don't take that as a guarantee that none of it would have happened anyway.

Why would you assume that the teachers are any more sane than the other people who pull this ****?
Bennet

@JPB,
JPB wrote:
Lanza's younger brother is in police custody - but no word whether or not he was involved in the massacre.

Right now, with the confusion created already created by the media frenzy, it is best for him to be under police custody. Likely he is not connected to the shooting as he lives in Hoboken, N.J. I can't believe that the media outlets framed the older brother, Ryan Lanza, and put out his facebook page, claiming that he is the killer. The media outlets needs to stop posting until they get their facts in. Always in a hurry trying to beat the competition, out trying to be the first to report. But the damage is done when it's bad reporting.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

Very very tragic. May they rest in peace.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 06:35 pm
@Bennet,
Who is this 'media' that you keep referring to?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 06:41 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
Oh lovely. What a nice sight for a five year old --- seeing his or her teacher bringing out a pistol and shooting a guy.

Well, compared to the alternative of not being able to fight back against the shooter at all.....

Mame wrote:
The guy may have shot the teacher first, in any case.

Yes. There are never any guarantees.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 06:42 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Why would you assume that the teachers are any more sane than the other people who pull this ****?

Anything is possible. There are never any guarantees.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 06:42 pm
Gopnik on Newtown -
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2012/12/newtown-and-the-madness-of-guns.html
BillRM

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 06:58 pm
@Bennet,
Quote:
can't believe that the media outlets framed the older brother, Ryan Lanza, and put out his facebook page, claiming that he is the killer

Anything to milk the maximum ratings in such happenings hell look at the edit of the 911 Zimmerman tape............
0 Replies