Another major school shooting today ... Newtown, Conn

oralloy

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 04:29 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
oralloy wrote:
With a greater presence of guns, murders that would have been carried out without a gun, are instead carried out with a gun, leading to a greater number of "gun deaths", but not leading to a greater number of deaths.

You must know that isn't true Oralloy. Surely?

I know it *is* true.

spendius wrote:
It implies that all other methods of killing people are as successful as guns are.

I'll admit there would be a very slight difference in the death rates, but the difference would be very slight.

spendius wrote:
A fair number of attempted murders using other methods must have failed where a gun would have succeeded.

Not all that many.

spendius wrote:
If you were to bear the sort of arms that were in use when the 2nd was written I don't suppose there would be all that many complaints. Or deaths.

The Constitution says that Americans get to carry modern weapons when we go about in public.
firefly

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 04:29 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
The Supreme Court was allowing the Constitution to be violated at the time.

Note that they have begun to enforce the Constitution now.

When Justice Scalia says possession of some dangerous weapons can be limited, including in the future, he doesn't know what he's talking about, right, oralloy? Only you know how to interpret the Constitution.
http://www.freedomvillage.net/HTMLobj-16390/aniGif.gif

Stop clinging to the old definition of "assault weapon"--any new ban is going to include a new definition. And the previous ban was not found to be unconstitutional, so stop clinging to that as well.
Quote:
You are guilty of a grave atrocity against American freedom.

I think you need to be wrapped in damp sheets.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 04:33 pm
@firefly,
oralboy even arrives at his own conclusions about who commits murder with guns. No supporting evidence; only his imagination at work - again!

He probably still haven't learned about the Columbine or Conn killings. Those kids all lived in "poverty."
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 04:34 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
oralloy wrote:
It should be pretty easy to tell if someone is trying to shoot their way into a school or not.

It should be pretty easy eh?

Yes.

spendius wrote:
You're scraping the bottom with that one Oralloy.

I do not anticipate any difficulty distinguishing "someone who is firing on students" from "someone who is not".
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 04:35 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Better social programs paid for by higher taxes.

That's interesting. A platform for the next election. Fighting gun control and raising taxes. That should sort out the priorities I should think.

There would be some tossing and turning in beds I imagine.

I have enough sense to not run for election.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 04:35 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Note the way I engage in intelligent discourse when there is intelligent discourse to be had.

I have written a number of posts which I consider reasonably intelligent that you have failed to engage with.

Try this one--

Every effect has a cause. In our world anyway.

Right? Now pulling the trigger, or squeezing it firmly but gently, is an effect. It might have effects beyond itself of course, But the action was caused by something. One couldn't squeeze the trigger of a gun without a cause.

And the cause must be on the pleasure/pain spectrum like all human actions. And that of animals. Because it is voluntary, indeed it costs money, it has to be paid for with after-tax earnings, other pleasurable things must be denied, it must be on the pleasure side of the mid-point. (I would try to think of something exactly on the mid point if this thread wasn't so serious).

On the calculus of pleasure and pain in a democracy there is the sum total of pleasure from all the trigger squeezes to be set against the sum total of all the pain resulting from them.

As a democrat with a small "d" you have to be maintaining that the former is greater than the latter to justify it.

Do you think it is?

firefly

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 04:45 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
The Constitution says that Americans get to carry modern weapons when we go about in public.

Quote me, verbatim, from the passage in the Constitution that says that.

Watch out for squirrels, oralloy.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-eNblW7wB1d8/Tur7kj3q4UI/AAAAAAAAAGo/vnBUEPoYqfQ/s1600/open+carry+nuts.gif
oralloy

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 04:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
It's about limits to bear arms in accordance with our Constitution.

Nope. You are proposing limits that violate the Constitution.

cicerone imposter wrote:
What I wrote was,
Quote:
The Court stated that the right to keep and bear arms is subject to regulation,

That does not authorize regulations that violate the Constitution.

cicerone imposter wrote:
The congress has the right to impose "limits" on arms in this country; believe it or not!

Not when those limits violate the Constitution they don't.
firefly

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 04:49 pm
@oralloy,
Your posts should be accompanied by music....your statements bring this to mind...
oralloy

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 04:57 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
When Justice Scalia says possession of some dangerous weapons can be limited, including in the future, he doesn't know what he's talking about, right, oralloy?

We aren't talking about anything dangerous. Harmless cosmetic features are not in any way dangerous.

firefly wrote:
Only you know how to interpret the Constitution.

The fact that you don't know how to interpret the Constitution does not mean that I am the only one who does.

firefly wrote:
Stop clinging to the old definition of "assault weapon"--any new ban is going to include a new definition.

There isn't going to be any new ban, or any new definition. Your desire to violate the civil rights of your countrymen is not shared by House Democrats.

firefly wrote:
And the previous ban was not found to be unconstitutional, so stop clinging to that as well.

Your request that I stop telling the truth about the Constitution, is denied.

firefly wrote:
oralloy wrote:
You are guilty of a grave atrocity against American freedom.

I think you need to be wrapped in damp sheets.

You're not the only one who thinks it's funny to violate people's rights. The KKK shares your views.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 05:01 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Note the way I engage in intelligent discourse when there is intelligent discourse to be had.

I have written a number of posts which I consider reasonably intelligent that you have failed to engage with.

Did I respond with an offensive cut-n-paste, or not respond at all?

I may not have disagreed with you.

Or it might have been a subject I was not interested in, or didn't know enough about to comment on.

spendius wrote:
Try this one--

Every effect has a cause. In our world anyway.

Right? Now pulling the trigger, or squeezing it firmly but gently, is an effect. It might have effects beyond itself of course, But the action was caused by something. One couldn't squeeze the trigger of a gun without a cause.

And the cause must be on the pleasure/pain spectrum like all human actions. And that of animals. Because it is voluntary, indeed it costs money, it has to be paid for with after-tax earnings, other pleasurable things must be denied, it must be on the pleasure side of the mid-point. (I would try to think of something exactly on the mid point if this thread wasn't so serious).

On the calculus of pleasure and pain in a democracy there is the sum total of pleasure from all the trigger squeezes to be set against the sum total of all the pain resulting from them.

As a democrat with a small "d" you have to be maintaining that the former is greater than the latter to justify it.

Do you think it is?

Hard to tell. How do you quantify the joy of a life saved with a gun?

But I'm not a small-d democrat. The Constitution trumps all.
firefly

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 05:03 pm
@oralloy,
http://content3.bestthinking.com/s/1/thinkers/5802/images/2006f8c0-d6fe-45a9-a81f-16081616d644_475.jpeg
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 05:13 pm
@firefly,
I do not see a reason to keep any weapons away from him as long as he is has not proven to be insane. I know this sounds crazy but we need to find a different approach of addressing violence than the tools that are used to commit the violence.

The reason I say this is because we will diffidently advanced way past anything that you can think of at the moment and this means that there will be tools at the disposal of others that may be greater than nuclear weapons. We will all advance in the knowledge of weaponry but what can we do to stop people who are emotional or insane?

Is it time for us to implement the social sciences and add funding for further research?
oralloy

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 05:15 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
Your posts should be accompanied by music....your statements bring this to mind...
[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVSRm80WzZk[/YouTube]

In other words, you are unable to argue against any of my facts.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 05:17 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Quote me, verbatim, from the passage in the Constitution that says that.

Article the fourth . . . . A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

firefly wrote:
Watch out for squirrels, oralloy.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-eNblW7wB1d8/Tur7kj3q4UI/AAAAAAAAAGo/vnBUEPoYqfQ/s1600/open+carry+nuts.gif

Freedom haters always go for childish name-calling when they are prevented from violating people's civil rights.

Happens every time.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 05:25 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
http://content3.bestthinking.com/s/1/thinkers/5802/images/2006f8c0-d6fe-45a9-a81f-16081616d644_475.jpeg

The artist fundamentally misunderstands the nature of freedom. What is this "need" nonsense?

The question should be:
What do you USE an assault rifle with a 100 round magazine for?

And actually, varmint hunters probably don't use magazines greater than 30 rounds. The big ones jam, a lot.

Same with self defense shooters.
raprap

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 05:41 pm
@oralloy,
OK Oraboy! What type of a varmit hunter use a 30 round magazine for? The varmit hunters I whistle pig shoot with use a bolt action Remington 700, usually in 223.

One of my varmit hunter buds uses a single shot Thompson center fire. Duke, in a past life, was a sniper scout with the 101st and claims that the first shot is the only one that matters.

His line is " Magazines are for people who can't shoot. Large capacity magazines are for people who can't point."

Rap
firefly

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 05:49 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
The question should be:
What do you USE an assault rifle with a 100 round magazine for?

James Holmes used it to commit mass murder in the Aurora movie theater.

Maybe that's one reason why we should ask someone why they need it...
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 06:01 pm
@raprap,
Quote:
OK Oraboy! What type of a varmit hunter use a 30 round magazine for?

I truly am not trying to be disrespectful and I do not think anyone should be carrying weapons but that is my subjective opinion but objective reality tells me that we will have way more advanced weaponry in the future that will be able to kill millions.

My question to all of you is "could there be something of greater importance that we should be addressing rather than weapons?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 06:09 pm
@raprap,
raprap wrote:
Oraboy

You engage in name-calling because you are too stupid to come up with anything intelligent.