Another major school shooting today ... Newtown, Conn

parados

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 11:47 am
@BillRM,
Quote:

The largest numbers of deaths in the US of school children was the result of a bombing.

The largest number in a single instance. But that is like arguing that nuclear weapons kill more people in war. It's pretty meaningless in the totality. The number of children in schools killed by guns is many times more than those killed in bombs.

AND you keep ignoring that we have changed the laws that control TNT since that school bombing you keep bringing up. Perhaps we should change the laws that control guns as well.

Quote:
As the Boston bombing had just shown all you need is a pressure cooker some match heads and sugar to greatly harm and kill large numbers of people.
I find it interesting that you seem to know how the bomb was built when no such info has been released by the authorities. I also find it interesting that you think 3 dead is a large number when it comes to 2 separate bombs but 20 dead is meaningless when it comes to guns.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 02:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
Seeing this quote, I am reminded why I have oralloy on Ignore.

Baldimo

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 02:35 pm
@hingehead,
If the anti-gun people would start to have an honest discussion then there would be progress.

60% of sales... This has proven to be a lie. The President and the media have been using the 40% stat for some time and it is a lie. They are using stats from a less then 300 person study done 20 years ago. In that time lots of states have removed the "gun show loop hole". Oh and you can't legally purchase a gun over the internet without having it shipped to a licensed gun dealer who then does the background check.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 02:40 pm
Any number of opponents of gun control have argued that if the government is going to actually do something about horrific events like the Newtown Massacre, it needs to focus on mental health, and specifically identifying the mentally unstable who commit these acts.

There could be few worse outcomes than having the government start down such a road.

Government responses are never nuanced. Imagine how many people who have attempted to address their mental health issues would get chewed up in an overarching governmental meat grinder manned by ham fisted bureaucrats.

How can the government prevent the mentally ill from doing violence?

Obviously they could incarcerate them, but I doubt that would be tolerated by the public.

Instead, they would label and monitor, and this is hardly something we should want our government to do.

The notion of doing a background check on people who wish to buy guns makes sense if the screening is intended to prevent felons and the criminally insane from purchasing guns.

I could easily be wrong but I understand that the bill before the Senate was intended to plug a loophole that allowed people to purchase guns from sources (eg gun shows) not required to conduct a background check.

This hardly seems like an attack on the 2nd Amendment.

If the requirement for background checks in place is not being abused (a conclusion I can only assume since I see no one arguing it is) then what is the reason for not extending it to all sources of guns?

The answer is simple and one that liberals should appreciate since it is manifest in the opposition to abortion control: Fight any and all attempts at control, no matter how reasonable.

So all the crap about those who voted against cloture being shameful and uncaring of children is just that and hypocritical as well.
oralloy

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 02:49 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Seeing this quote, I am reminded why I have oralloy on Ignore.

If you don't like it when people defend your freedom, you could always move to a place like Italy or Cuba.
oralloy

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 02:53 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
If the anti-gun people would start to have an honest discussion then there would be progress.

IF
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 03:03 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
The notion of doing a background check on people who wish to buy guns makes sense if the screening is intended to prevent felons and the criminally insane from purchasing guns.

Perhaps. But since the screening is really intended to prevent law abiding people from purchasing guns, your hypothetical is just an exercise in fantasy.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I could easily be wrong but I understand that the bill before the Senate was intended to plug a loophole that allowed people to purchase guns from sources (eg gun shows) not required to conduct a background check.

Indeed, you are wrong. You glossed over the illicit gun registration plot contained in the proposal.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
If the requirement for background checks in place is not being abused (a conclusion I can only assume since I see no one arguing it is) then what is the reason for not extending it to all sources of guns?

Your pretending that no one is arguing against the rampant abuse, is hardly justification for claiming that there is no such abuse.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 03:49 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
you could always move to a place like Italy or Cuba.

Or the UK as I am still shaking my head over the idea that a UK citizen can find him or herself in prison for looking at a internet magazine even one put out by a terrorist group.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 04:15 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Or the UK as I am still shaking my head

You need to shake it a lot, it's full of ****.
BillRM

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 04:18 pm
@izzythepush,
It must be worrisome to live in a country with such little freedoms that even looking at an internet magazine will get you locked up for a few years.
BillRM

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 04:32 pm
@izzythepush,
If anyone wish to look at a nation going down the path of a police state look at this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_Act_2000

I almost feel sorry for you IZZY.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 04:51 pm
@BillRM,
What you can't comprehend is that we're quite happy just the way things are. I wouldn't like to live in a country where dribbling perverts like you roam about with automatic weapons.
hingehead

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 05:00 pm
@parados,
Quote:
The largest numbers of deaths in the US of school children was the result of a bombing.

Gawd. Stop chasing the Boston terrorist and crack down on Texas fertilizer factories. I mean, a nation of 300+ million can't be expected to multitask.
Baldimo

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 05:08 pm
@izzythepush,
Unless you have a Class III Firearms license you are not allowed to own fully automatic weapons. This is the problem with the gun debate. The anti-gunners are not honest about the current laws and how they are enforced.

BillRM

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 05:11 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
What you can't comprehend is that we're quite happy just the way things are. I wouldn't like to live in a country where dribbling perverts like you roam about with automatic weapons.

Semi auto weapons for the most part even those I did know a guy who went to the trouble to legally own a Thompson submachine gun.

Lord you could end up putting hundreds of dollars of lead downrange in a minute with that toy.

As far as being happy I wonder how happy the lady who ended up with a year in a UK prison for the crime of doing what I just did and downloaded a copy of Inspire magazine and even those at the sentencing the judge stated that she did the downlaoding with no criminal intend it did not matter. Section 58 of the 2000 terrorism act does not required any criminal intend in having materials that might be helpful to terrorists

Somehow I would bet she would had been happier to be in a country where she did not end up spending her first months as a married woman in prison for the crime of doing research on the subject of terrorism.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 05:13 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Or the UK as I am still shaking my head over the idea that a UK citizen can find him or herself in prison for looking at a internet magazine even one put out by a terrorist group.

We don't care for people who show us the instructions on how to make a pressure cooker bomb in order to make a name for themselves and help ensure there are more of them to provide more dramatic incidents to report on in indignant tones.
hingehead

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 05:18 pm
@hingehead,
****, didn't mean to imply Parados made that statement - Parados was just quoting someone I have on ignore. Polo gees.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 05:25 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
We don't care for people who show us the instructions on how to make a pressure cooker bomb in order to make a name for themselves and help ensure there are more of them to provide more dramatic incidents to report on in indignant tones

You are not harming the producer of such materials just for the most part people doing research to better understand the terrorist mindset and their tools.

By the way the terrorism act of 2000 section 58 made it illegal to "collect" materials/information that might be useful to terrorists with no criminal intend needed.

A book covering college level chemistry seems to fit that meaning as well as a magazine that tell you how to created a very low order bomb using match heads and sugar!!!!!!!!!

0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 05:44 pm
@spendius,
Got to love our media, they were pretty much listing all the parts you need for such a bomb, the only thing missing was an order of assembly.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 05:55 pm
@izzythepush,
Hey!!! I'm semi literate. Screw all you intelligent people, its your fault the world is so screwed up.