Another major school shooting today ... Newtown, Conn

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 09:39 pm
@hingehead,
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/130114-gallip-gun-poll-hmed-940a.photoblog600.gif
so much for claims by dems and the media that the Senate defied the will of the American people......
oralloy

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 10:54 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
I already blame the repubs for the next shooting.

You hate America's freedom even more than the 9/11 attackers did.
oralloy

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 10:56 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:
Gifford in the NYT
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/18/opinion/a-senate-in-the-gun-lobbys-grip.html

Salient quote:

Quote:
This defeat is only the latest chapter of what I’ve always known would be a long, hard haul. Our democracy’s history is littered with names we neither remember nor celebrate — people who stood in the way of progress while protecting the powerful. On Wednesday, a number of senators voted to join that list.

Giffords is evil and hates America's freedom and civil rights.

I have some other thoughts about her, but they wouldn't be productive.

hingehead wrote:
It's pretty clear that the top of the NRA is a mouthpiece for the firearms industry

Sheesh!

It is nonsense like that that started you guys down the path to the defeat you've suffered today.

Instead of concocting silly nonsense about "the NRA", have you ever considered working with gun rights advocates to ensure that your proposals don't violate the Constitution?

hingehead wrote:
it certainly isn't representing gun owners if 80% were for background checks. Background checks that already cover 60% of sales.

The NRA represents the members of the NRA.

And Obama's background check proposal did not merely expand existing background checks, though even that would be problematic. It also contained an illicit gun registration scheme.

hingehead wrote:
Must give you a warm feeling to know that any wacko/criminal can buy a gun at a gun show or on the internet without any impediments.

Yes. Given the way the background check system is being abused to block purchases by lawful citizens, it is vital to ensure that people have a clear way to acquire guns without any background checks.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 11:04 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Giffords is evil and hates America's freedom and civil rights

near as I can tell all she is now is a blank canvas for her husband to draw on. she produces very few words and for all we know maybe very few thoughts as well.
hingehead

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 11:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
Thanks Hawk, so what figures is Obama quoting? They must come from somewhere - I'm guessing it's in the phrasing of the question?

Do you think criminals and psycho's should have the same access to guns as every citizen?
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 11:29 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
I'm guessing it's in the phrasing of the question?
looks like....which means that Obama's position that the idiot press is parroting is pretty iffy.

Quote:
Do you think criminals and psycho's should have the same access to guns as every citizen?

i believe that not only background checks but also gun safety classes should be mandatory. I also dont trust this government to run the programs or to even have access to the information, with the possible exception of the judicial branch.
hingehead

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 12:07 am
@hawkeye10,
Ha, sorry I wasn't aiming that question at you, I was using it as an example of question-phrasing to get a desired response.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 02:54 am
@hingehead,
Quote:

I think the reverse is the problem/worry as in the disarming of the rest of us over time ending up with only the criminals and the psycho being armed.

You give the anti-gun people an inch and they will take the mile as been shown by their desire this time to have far more then increase background checks passed by congress.

In any case no background check will stop or even slow down criminals/nuts from being arm.

No background check would had kept the Newtown gunman from killing his mother and seizing her guns for example.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 05:09 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

I already blame the repubs for the next shooting.

Of course you do, you idiot.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 05:17 am
@Frank Apisa,

FrankA, perhaps you should skippeth your dumb ass off to the nearest renaissance festival...
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 06:05 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
And Obama's background check proposal did not merely expand existing background checks, though even that would be problematic. It also contained an illicit gun registration scheme.

No, it didn't. That is the lie told by the gun lobby and called out by the President.

The gun lobby lied about the bill, got the gunnuts upset, won the vote.

They could give a **** about rights, they just want continuation of open sales of firearms.

Joe(3500+ shot dead since Newtown)Nation
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 06:09 am
@Joe Nation,

Joe (loves a body count) Nation, you are out of touch with reality if you think for one second Obama doesn't
want to take guns away from law abiding citizens. Obama does not think regular American citizens should own
guns, evidently he thinks only criminals, his body guards and the government should own guns.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 06:17 am

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/528257_321723194621539_1193763420_n.jpg
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 06:28 am
@Region Philbis,

LOL, I can see Tina Fey spoofing this woman for years...

Region Philbis wrote:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/528257_321723194621539_1193763420_n.jpg

0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 07:39 am
@Joe Nation,
Why would the State rely on the MERCHANT to conduct background checks? Seems ass backwards if you ask me.

The State should conduct the background check at the time of application for a license, then issue the license with some form of renewal process every so often.

parados

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 08:05 am
@woiyo,
Gun owners have to register? How dare you even suggest such a thing woiyo. Oralloy will be along shortly to tell you how much you hate the Constitution.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 08:28 am
@oralloy,
oralboy wrote:
You hate America's freedom even more than the 9/11 attackers did.

You hate America's children even more than the Newtown shooter did.
BillRM

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 08:41 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
You hate America's children even more than the Newtown shooter did.

As if guns are the only means of killing children!!!!!!!

The largest numbers of deaths in the US of school children was the result of a bombing.

Similar numbers of school children had been killed and harm in gun free nations by people with edge weapons.

As the Boston bombing had just shown all you need is a pressure cooker some match heads and sugar to greatly harm and kill large numbers of people.

Hell a can of gasoline had killed something like 87 New Yorkers if memory serve me correctly in the 1990s.

izzythepush

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 10:16 am
@BillRM,
You still trotting out that bullshit? The only people who believe it are yourself Oralboy and H2OMan, posters not really known for their intellect.

Instead of moaning on about guns you'd be better off learning to constuct a basic sentence, that way people, other than fellow semi literates might take you seriously.

Your last post sounds like it was written by a chimp. I'll fix it for you.

Quote:
As if guns are the only means of killing children!(Only one exclamation mark needed, overuse tends to be the preserve of adolescent girls and morons.)
The largest number (Not numbers) of deaths in the US of school children was the result of a bombing.

Similar numbers of school children have (not had) been killed and harm(ed) in gun free nations by people with edge(d) weapons.

As the Boston bombing has (not had just) shown(,) all you need is a pressure cooker(,) some match heads and sugar to greatly harm and kill large numbers of people.

Hell(,) a can of gasoline (had not required) killed something like 87 New Yorkers if memory serve(s) me correctly(,) sometime in the 1990s.

That's just one post. If you insist on writing such drivel, don't expect to be treated as anything other than a moron.
oralloy

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 11:36 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
oralloy wrote:
It also contained an illicit gun registration scheme.

No, it didn't. That is the lie told by the gun lobby and called out by the President.

Look, instead of posting nonsense, why not use this as a learning experience demonstrating why you shouldn't pick fights with the NRA?

Take notes. See what else the President is able to achieve now that he has expended every last bit of his political capital in a futile war against America's gunowners.

He might get immigration reform, but only because the Republicans want it too. He certainly has nothing left to push for anything that the Republicans don't want.

Then see what mood the voters are in when 2016 rolls around, after four years of an ineffective do-nothing presidency.

Then, next time a Democratic president says "Hey let's go expend all of our energy attacking the NRA!" you can speak up and explain how that is a certain path to failure and doom.
0 Replies