Another major school shooting today ... Newtown, Conn

McTag

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 04:45 am
@hawkeye10,

I heard this in a news item. Don't quote me, further information will doubtless emerge. Forensics are all over the house where they lived.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 04:47 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I believe sheltering children from the harsh realities of life is among a parent's top duties. Children will learn of the ugliness of the world soon enough... Sure, don't talk to strangers is a good one to teach early but guns, serial killers and school shootings? No... I say give them at least an idyllic childhood and it may sustain them through the brutal awakening of how bad humanity can really get. Nothing worse than having no peace as a child or an adult...
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 04:51 am
@RexRed,
Quote:
I believe sheltering children from the harsh realities of life is among a parent's top duties
great thing that you are not a parent as that is an abdication of a parents duties. the imperative is to prepare kids to live in this world, not to prepare them to live in a fantasyland thus leaving them unprepared for what they find after they see around the lie tellers.

this would be a good point to begin to investigate your continued deep problems with dealing with reality Rex.
RexRed

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 04:55 am
@hawkeye10,
I raised 4 children and they came out fine, one was in the coast guard for a while... That tells you how much you know about me. Yes gays raise children too...

My problems with reality was that I was allowed to run as a child...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 05:01 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
It's an American problem, boomer.

Found Soul is right - for her location. Australia brought in some tough gun laws - and they worked. Kids don't experience guns the same way there. Thank goodness.

I don't understand Americans acceptance of their problem in this area.
I've given up trying. It is some sort of willful community blindness.
WE value and RESPECT our right
to defend ourselves.

We protected that right by WITHHOLDING jurisdiction
from government, in the Bill of Rights.

David
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 05:01 am
@RexRed,
ok, so you say you have kids. you are certainly no model for happy healthy adulthood so i will take your assertion that they are fine with a kilo of salt.
RexRed

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 05:15 am
@hawkeye10,
No I raised my brother's children who abandoned them and dumped them on my elderly mother. I sacrificed my music career for them. Now in my older life I find myself incapable of getting my music recognized. His children think of me as dad not him.

I will tell you a story. I intentionally decided to shelter my brother's children rather than let them run as I did as a child. So I would not let them watch even some of the G rated movies. One day I gave in and let the oldest boy watch "The Karate Kid"...

After the movie he went over and kicked his younger brother in the privates...

So I was forced to send him back to Disney movies 'till he matured a bit more.

The mother of this school shooter said her son was burning himself with lighters... Why was she giving this elementary school kid lighters and guns to play with? She was a dead beat mother.

Contrarily, my mother sheltered me as long as she could and one of her ways of sheltering me was by being a good example herself. She did not smoke, drink, take drugs or tote guns... She was a volunteer ambulance attendant, she was in the 4H, Extension, Ladies Aid, PTA, Eastern Star, nearly every church function including the choir, den Mother... With all of her efforts the world still eventually came in and corrupted me. Yet it was her way that saved me.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 05:23 am
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:
I believe sheltering children from the harsh realities of life is among a parent's top duties.
Children will learn of the ugliness of the world soon enough...
I remember relaxing in bed at age 3, lusting for revolvers
that I 'd seen strapped to the hips of police,
viewing them in my mind, yearning & craving.
I had to wait until age 8.

RexRed wrote:
Sure, don't talk to strangers is a good one to teach early but guns, serial killers and school shootings?

No... I say give them at least an idyllic childhood...
HOW ?

David
RexRed

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 05:28 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

RexRed wrote:
I believe sheltering children from the harsh realities of life is among a parent's top duties.

RexRed: Let's hope your dreams of guns have made you a happy person with a fulfilling life. I would not trade you even if you are not being serious.

RexRed wrote:
Sure, don't talk to strangers is a good one to teach early but guns, serial killers and school shootings?
No... I say give them at least an idyllic childhood
HOW ?

David

RexRed: Sheltering i.e. distracting them from negativity and leading them toward a path of self improvement and mutual consideration for as long as you can.

BillRM

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 05:36 am
@aspvenom,
Quote:
An interesting reaction to this tragedy, similar to negative feedback, I suppose. You'd expect people to lay back on big guns after this tragedy, but people are packing more heat. The insanity

Not at all as they know that they are not a danger to children and any guns they would own is not a danger to children, however they can picture themselves in the position of that school principal that needed to attack the shooter with her bare hands in an attempt to save the children under her protection.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 05:39 am
@McTag,
Quote:
I believe this person was also a frequent user of violent video games.
A potent mix, for a susceptible mind.

Tens of millions of kids play such games that do not go out and harm anyone in fact those games take in more money then movies every year.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 05:42 am
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:
. . . The mother of this school shooter said her son was burning himself with lighters... Why was she giving this elementary school kid lighters and guns to play with? She was a dead beat mother.
It is of questionable wisdom to arm the mentally ill,
depending on how that is defined.

General George Patton deemed himself to have been re-incarnated.
Shud he have been disarmed??
(I guess that Hitler 'd say that Patton SHUD have been fully disarmed.)

David
RexRed

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 05:48 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

RexRed wrote:
. . . The mother of this school shooter said her son was burning himself with lighters... Why was she giving this elementary school kid lighters and guns to play with? She was a dead beat mother.
It is of questionable wisdom to arm the mentally ill,
depending on how that is defined.

General George Patton deemed himself to have been re-incarnated.
Shud he have been disarmed??
(I guess that Hitler 'd say that Patton SHUD have been fully disarmed.)

David

It is already within the nature of most all living creatures to defend themselves and "survive"... Survival is not something children need to be barraged with while their innocence is trampled.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 05:49 am
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

RexRed wrote:

RexRed: Let's hope your dreams of guns have made you a happy person with a fulfilling life.
I would not trade you even if you are not being serious.

RexRed wrote:
HOW ?

David

RexRed: Sheltering i.e. distracting them from negativity and leading them toward a path of self improvement and mutual consideration for as long as you can.
I did not tell my parents what I craved n longed for, in bed.

David
RexRed

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 05:54 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

RexRed wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

RexRed wrote:

RexRed: Let's hope your dreams of guns have made you a happy person with a fulfilling life.
I would not trade you even if you are not being serious.

RexRed wrote:
HOW ?

David

I did not tell my parents what I craved n longed for, in bed.

David

Well you told us David and we are still reeling from the disdain... Good thing you sheltered your parents from your own err, fetishes.
farmerman

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 05:54 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
Tens of millions of kids play such games that do not go out and harm anyone in fact those games take in more money then movies every year.

Yet its fairly well known that kids who obsess on these and spend hours and hours on certain violent games often show some aspergers symptoms.
Read the book "All Cats HAve Aspergers" its a clever way to see what symptomology applies to kids with this.
Also , medicine is showing more and more that kids with autism or even asthma have been so imprinted by parenting problems.

BillRM

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 06:03 am
@farmerman,
Every male child in my small home town used to play fairly large scale war games with all kinds of toys weapons however not one went on to be a killer that I am aware of or must of a problem for their parents.

An this time frame did not have video games but the so call experts was stating that our comic books would turn us into killers with hearings in congress over it.

Oh and most of us got training on real guns by our parents in our mid teens to late teens.

Footnote I did not get to use firearms without direct parents supervision however I did get to own and shoot a hunting bow able to bring down a deer without such supervision and such freedoms was common in the town for teenagers.

0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 06:17 am
94,388 people shot in the US so far this year.

39 people killed by firearms in England and Wales over 12 months in 2008/2009

190 people shot in the US on Saturday alone.

11 is the minimum age in Minnesota to be eligible for a firearms certificate.

50 shots fires fired by a lone gunman at shopping mall in California a day after the massacre (no one injured)

50% of guns worldwide are in the US - But just 5% of global population.

95 shots used by German police in 2011 (including 49 warning shots)

90 shots used by LA police to kill 19 year old man after high-speed car chase.

300m is the number of privately owned firearms in the US

40% of gun purchases in the US do not need background checks.

70,000 women aged 51 to 65 who gained a concealed-weapon permit in May 2012.

1 is the number of mass murders carried out by women.

35 people were killed by firearms in Australia in one year.

60 people were killed by firearms in Spain in one year.

9,484 people were killed by firearms in the US in the same 12 months.
BillRM

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 06:24 am
@RexRed,
Would you care to provide a link to those numbers?

With special note of the 94 thousands shot every year in the US as if the 9,000 are killed by gunfire is also correct that would mean that only one in ten persons who are shot happen to be kill and that seems kind of low.

Please pin those numbers down as there seems something wrong with them on their face.
spendius

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 06:26 am
@RexRed,
Quote:

I agree Rex. Parents should be kept well away from kids. Except at meal times of course.

Quote:
This Be the Verse
By Philip Larkin.

They **** you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were fucked up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another’s throats.

Man hands on misery to man.