Another major school shooting today ... Newtown, Conn

Thomas

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 09:11 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
Whether you like guns or not, saying that teaching kids about guns is wrong, couldn't be more wrong, in my opinion.

Totally agree. It's as bad, if not worse, than keeping your child ignorant about sex.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 09:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
bump
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 10:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
How many of these similar tragedies have people with guns stopped? NONE!

The problem is, gun control doesn't stop them either. Back in Europe, the law provides all the control American liberals could wish for, and yet Europe gets those school shootings, too. Although accident statistics furnish a strong case for tighter regulation of firearms, amok shootings like the one in Newton CT do not.
BillRM

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 10:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:

WRONG

I refer you to the case of the two students who pull the fire alarm and was shooting people as they ran out of the school was stop and capture by a teacher who arm himself with a firearm from the trunk of his car.
boomerang

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 10:37 pm
@BillRM,
(A reply all, sans button)

Jesus wept: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/17/sandy-hook-shooting-gun-sales_n_2317522.html
aspvenom

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 11:22 pm
@Val Killmore,
Quote:
However, beware if that were ever to happen, ss soon as the legislation hits the table, folks would go out of their way to hoard the big buns while they are still legal.

Actually they're stocking up on guns not buns before any legislation hit the table, as Boomerang posted.
buns..... really? JK

An interesting reaction to this tragedy, similar to negative feedback, I suppose. You'd expect people to lay back on big guns after this tragedy, but people are packing more heat. The insanity.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 11:26 pm
@Thomas,
I think the only country with the most stringent gun laws is in China. Other countries have different levels of gun laws, and they also have different levels of gun crime.

I agree that gun laws which allows ownership of guns does not stop killing with guns. It's my understanding that anybody can buy guns at gun shows in the US.

Access to guns is too easy in the US. Gun control is an oxymoron.

oralloy

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 11:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Stop lying CI. You're WAY too stupid to be any good at it.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 11:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Access to guns is too easy in the US. Gun control is an oxymoron

right, so the smart approach is to try to mint humans who dont want to kill other humans. gun control is a half-assed bandage attempt which is often used as a means to ignore the major underlying problem. major reform of our mental health system would be much more productive than are these constant useless arguments about gun access. the cows are gone, there is no point in closing the barn doors now anyways.
oralloy

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 11:36 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
(A reply all, sans button)

You know, has anyone tried to do a "reply all" by just recreating the URL? Is the button really necessary?

Or have people tried recreating the URL and it still didn't work?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 11:42 pm

See if this link works as a "reply all" button:

http://able2know.org/reply/topic-203766

(And reuse it on different topics by changing the number at the end to that of the appropriate topic.)
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 11:54 pm
@hawkeye10,
i will add that anyone who claims that the US government will ever get away with collecting the guns as the Australian citizens allowed their government to do might as well be trying to collect venture capital funds for a cheese mining expedition to the moon.......their ideas have no connection to reality.
RexRed

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 04:10 am
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/546605_10151182270371275_1953076808_n.jpg
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 04:13 am
Guns breed violence, cars breed motorists... RR
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 04:14 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Rampage shootings are never spontaneous. They are planned, often for months in advance. We don't know yet whether the Newtown shooter, Adam Lanza, gave any warnings, but in the episodes we studied, shooters commonly told their peers -- often in a veiled and ambiguous fashion -- what they had in mind.
One reason shooters tip their hands is that they are trying to solve a problem. Though they are often intelligent, high-performing boys, their peers tend to see them as unattractive losers, weak and unmanly. In a school culture that values sports prowess over academic accomplishment, they face rejection. The shooters are rarely loners, but tend instead to be failed joiners, and their daily social experience is full of friction. Since they are almost always mentally or emotionally ill, those rejections -- so common in adolescence -- take on greater importance and become a fixation. Rebuffed after trying to join friendship groups, they look for ways to gain attention, to reverse their damaged identities.
The shooting is the last act in a long drama: a search for acceptance and recognition. The earlier acts fail miserably. But once a shooter starts to talk about killing people, ostracism can turn to inclusion. Suddenly, he is getting the attention he has been craving. Michael Carneal, who killed three high school girls and paralyzed a fourth when he was a freshman in a Kentucky high school, pulled pranks, told loud silly jokes and stole CD's in an attempt to impress. None of it worked. But the day he started talking about shooting people, that began to change. The Goth group he desperately wanted to join wheeled in his direction for the first time.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/17/opinion/newman-school-shooters/index.html?hpt=hp_bn7

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

This is about GUNS! GUNS! GUNS! GUNS!
Amelia Isabella

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 04:32 am
@tsarstepan,
well, I must say, efficient measures should be taken to ensure school security, and that is what the US government needs. I am now living in China. Although people here may not get enough democracy, but gun shooting accidents are really rare and the enviornment is much safer.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 04:33 am
@hawkeye10,

I believe this person was also a frequent user of violent video games.
A potent mix, for a susceptible mind.

How much better we'd be without both.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 04:39 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I think not teaching kids about guns is a problem. They will encounter guns somewhere and they should know how to handle one safely.

I'll wager that there are many more accidental gun deaths -- boys showing off and goofing off -- than there are shootings like the one at the school.

My son turns 12 soon. Old enough for the sheriff's department gun safety course. He'll be going.

I want him to know gun safety so he'll recognize when someone is behaving recklessly. I don't want him to be an accidental victim or an accidental shooter. I want him to have a healthy respect for guns.

Whether you like guns or not, saying that teaching kids about guns is wrong, couldn't be more wrong, in my opinion.
WELL SAID, boomer!!!

U r an INTELLIGENT mother!

Please give Mo my best wishes.

David
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 04:42 am
@McTag,
Quote:
I believe this person was also a frequent user of violent video games
is your belief supported by any facts? in the rape thread bill and i presented an extensive study that shows that violence goes down when the video game outlet for violence is used, so even if he did play violent games your argument is nowhere.
spendius

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 04:42 am
@boomerang,
Quote:

"I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken
I saw guns and sharp swords in the hands of young children
And it's a hard, it's a hard, it's a hard, and it's a hard
It's a hard rain's a-gonna fall."

Bob Dylan.
0 Replies