Another major school shooting today ... Newtown, Conn

spendius

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 04:00 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
However, it should be noted that Prohibition is unique in two respects. Not only is it the only time we modified the Constitution to reject freedom, it is also the only time we then rejected a Constitutional change and went back to the old way of doing things.

But for that to make sense from your point of view you need to say that the need to have a gun is as strong as the need to have a drink. And that all the reasons given for people drinking apply also to gun owning.

Which makes the reasons for gun owning psychological and because such psychology does not apply to 60,000,000 other human beings in the UK, demonstrated by no moves being afoot in the UK to repeal our gun laws, and there would be to repeal alcohol prohibition, then the psychology is specific to the US.

And all effects have causes. Apart from the First Cause of course.

And why are gun ads prohibited on TV? They have the potential to be quite exciting. You must be in favour of lifting such an unconstitutional restriction surely?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 04:07 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Getting that permit is as easy as passing a background check.
Well, you're the first I've heard to say such. Might be, though, that some Kantons don't do it properly. But certainly such would be against Federal Swiss Law.

Btw: a background check is done already for the 'normal' weapon permit (see article 8 of the law).

And I'd really like, if you look at the articel 5, which lists all those weapons

But here are pictures ....
http://i46.tinypic.com/20px5sn.jpg
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 04:21 pm
@Walter Hinteler,

oralloy wrote:

I stand corrected.

It's really quite easy:
- if you want a sporting weapon as a member of a sport shooting club or sport shooting association,
- if you're disabled and need a special knife or if you need special knives as tool in your profession.

Or, if you're an already licensed member of a security firm.

But in all those cases, you must certify the reason why you need this exceptional permit for that specified weapon.
See: Art. 71 Ausnahmebewilligungen. (Art. 28b WG).
parados

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 04:28 pm
@oralloy,
Actually, I'm pointing out that the courts currently ban all guns from being carried. Is that a ban or not?

Shouldn't we plan on putting the same gun laws in the rest of the country that exist in the courts.
oralloy

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 04:57 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
oralloy wrote:
That's nice and vague. Which gun laws?

And do the people polled even have a basic grasp of what current laws are?

This dissembling is every bit the equal of lying, of patent dishonesty, Oralloy.

Questioning the vagueness of a poll is hardly lying.

JTT wrote:
Frank Apisa accused you, accurately, of the very thing that he beats the pants off you for.

While it is true that his dishonesty vastly exceeds mine, no. There was no accuracy in his accusations against me.

JTT wrote:
People don't have to be completely up to speed on the ins and outs of every topic they are polled on.

True. But it makes the poll a bit meaningless.

And while the pollsters might not have been able to do much about the general ignorance of the people they polled, they could have at least been specific about what measures they were asking about.
oralloy

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 04:59 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
oralloy wrote:
However, it should be noted that Prohibition is unique in two respects. Not only is it the only time we modified the Constitution to reject freedom, it is also the only time we then rejected a Constitutional change and went back to the old way of doing things.

But for that to make sense from your point of view you need to say that the need to have a gun is as strong as the need to have a drink. And that all the reasons given for people drinking apply also to gun owning.

No reasons are necessary. Americans have the right to carry handguns when we go about in public, and we will never give up that right.

spendius wrote:
Which makes the reasons for gun owning psychological and because such psychology does not apply to 60,000,000 other human beings in the UK, demonstrated by no moves being afoot in the UK to repeal our gun laws, and there would be to repeal alcohol prohibition, then the psychology is specific to the US.

The US is the only free nation on earth.

spendius wrote:
And why are gun ads prohibited on TV? They have the potential to be quite exciting. You must be in favour of lifting such an unconstitutional restriction surely?

I didn't know they were. Never really thought about it.

I'm all for letting gun ads run on TV. Not sure if they'd be exciting, but they might be informative about new designs that are coming out.
oralloy

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 05:03 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Well, you're the first I've heard to say such. Might be, though, that some Kantons don't do it properly. But certainly such would be against Federal Swiss Law.

Btw: a background check is done already for the 'normal' weapon permit (see article 8 of the law).

I'm only talking about the normal permit. That will cover a semi-auto rifle or semi-auto shotgun.

Walter Hinteler wrote:
And I'd really like, if you look at the articel 5, which lists all those weapons

But here are pictures ....
http://i46.tinypic.com/20px5sn.jpg

I think I see a bazooka and a belt-fed machinegun there.

I'm only talking about the permit for a semi-auto rifle or a semi-auto shotgun.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 05:04 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
It's really quite easy:
- if you want a sporting weapon as a member of a sport shooting club or sport shooting association,

Where is the requirement that you have to be a member of a sporting club before buying a sporting weapon?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 05:07 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
Actually, I'm pointing out that the courts currently ban all guns from being carried. Is that a ban or not?

Yes, but one that conforms with the appropriate standards of scrutiny.

parados wrote:
Shouldn't we plan on putting the same gun laws in the rest of the country that exist in the courts.

No. Not only would it be a bad idea, it would also be blatantly unconstitutional.
JTT

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 05:18 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:

It's simply your general habit of dissembling which is just another manner of lying.

Quote:
While it is true that his dishonesty vastly exceeds mine,

We can quibble about numbers or ranges but your Freudian slip tells all.
oralloy

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 05:21 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
http://i48.tinypic.com/9a48ew.jpg

This one.

This graphic shows the guns that I am saying Swiss people can get with a mere background check.

The one exception is the bottom one, which I believe applies to former militiamen keeping their service arm after it is converted to semi-auto-only. That would be an option only open to former militiamen. But the rest of the guns on the chart should be available to anyone who passes a background check.
JTT

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 05:25 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
appropriate standards of scrutiny.

What the constitution gives is not absolute. It can take away as fast as it gives.
oralloy

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 05:26 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
oralloy wrote:

It's simply your general habit of dissembling which is just another manner of lying.

Nonsense.

JTT wrote:
oralloy wrote:
While it is true that his dishonesty vastly exceeds mine,

We can quibble about numbers or ranges but your Freudian slip tells all.

No Freudian slip. It is possible to compare and contrast "zero" against "a large number".
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 05:31 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
oralloy wrote:
appropriate standards of scrutiny.

What the constitution gives is not absolute.

Thus my reference to the appropriate standards of scrutiny.

JTT wrote:
It can take away as fast as it gives.

Well, I'm not sure I would characterize it as "taking away".
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 05:31 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

This graphic shows the guns that I am saying Swiss people can get with a mere background check.
I'm glad that the Swiss have laws and don't follow what you say.

Additionally to the background check, you must add
- your reasons for the request,
- against what kind of danger you want to use them,
- then you must describe the kind of weapon (pistol/revolver, gun, knife) and why you want exactly that one.

gungasnake

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 05:32 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
But for that to make sense from your point of view you need to say that the need to have a gun is as strong as the need to have a drink.

It's not a question of need. The bill of rights and particularly the 2'nd amendment were conditions for the formation of the union. Take any part of that away, and the union itself is illegitimate.
oralloy

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 05:37 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
oralloy wrote:

I'm glad that the Swiss have laws and don't follow what you say.

Additionally to the background check, you must add
- your reasons for the request,
- against what kind of danger you want to use them,
- then you must describe the kind of weapon (pistol/revolver, gun, knife) and why you want exactly that one.

That's easy enough to comply with. Just say you want it for hunting (if it is for hunting). Or else say you want it for self defense.

It's no real barrier to someone getting a gun.
JTT

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 05:41 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:
The bill of rights and particularly the 2'nd amendment were conditions for the formation of the union. Take any part of that away, and the union itself is illegitimate.

Slavery was a condition for the formation of the union. It's ancient history, sort of. Has the "union" been illegitimate since the completely unconstitutional Emancipation Proclamation?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 05:43 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Where is the law that forbids them from buying a semi-auto rifle or a semi-auto shotgun (aside from the requirement that they first pass a background check)?

Oralboy, you're woefully ignorant of your own history and you're American to boot, which pretty much means that you are ignorant of most things outside which cousin you aim to marry.
oralloy

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 05:47 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
Oralboy, you're woefully ignorant of your own history and you're American to boot, which pretty much means that you are ignorant of most things outside which cousin you aim to marry.

How do you explain your inability to show any facts that I have wrong?