Another major school shooting today ... Newtown, Conn

BillRM

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 10:51 am
@firefly,
Quote:
If Japanese swords were the currently preferred tools of mass murderers--as semi-automatic weapons are now--would you favor better controlling and regulating their acquisition?

The point is there are a million ways to kill other humans in large numbers and unless you wish to give up all our knowledge and go back to the caves there is zero point in going after any one means.

That is even more true when dealing with 300 millions plus firearms and the knowledge to product more with a few metal working tools if needed.

The SS back up by the full power of the German army could not stop the manufacturing of sub machine guns in the occupied nations of European during WW2. working off plans and maybe a model that was given to the underground by the British.

JTT

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 11:11 am
@spendius,
BUMP

A2K 's bearings are wearing out, or they need a repack. Where's Rocky?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 11:12 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Foofie wrote:
It is a serious subject, and I would wonder what the scenario might be that citizens need a semi-automatic weapon, as part of a gun "collection"?

Need is irrelevant. People have the right to have them.

Foofie wrote:
However, claiming that guns should be everyone's right may just be wrong, since there are urban areas that would be worse off with lax gun laws, in my opinion.

The Constitution applies to everyone equally.

I take it you love all your children equally, and would be heartbroken if anything happened to them. If you do not have a dog in the hunt, so to speak, please stop sounding so self-rightous, in my opinion.
Foofie

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 11:13 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
Need is irrelevant. People have the right to have them.

People had a constitutional right to have slaves too.

Finally, we see something from the same perspective.
Val Killmore

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 11:17 am
@Foofie,
JTT didn't reply to me, so Foofie would you be so kind as to show me where in the constitution does it give someone the right to own slaves.
JTT

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 11:23 am
@Val Killmore,
Sorry, Val, I missed your request.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 11:25 am
@Val Killmore,
Boy, there sure are some stupid people here at A2K, Val. You got voted down for asking a perfectly legitimate question.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 11:26 am
@BillRM,
You didn't answer my question...

If Japanese swords were the currently preferred tools of mass murderers in this country--as semi-automatic weapons are now--would you favor better controlling and regulating their acquisition?

Quote:
The point is there are a million ways to kill other humans in large numbers and unless you wish to give up all our knowledge and go back to the caves there is zero point in going after any one means.

There is "zero point in going after any one means"?

So, are you suggesting we abandon our current airport security? Why try to stop shoe bombers or hijackers when there are so many other ways of killing people in large numbers?

Why have mandatory vaccinations for children entering public schools, when there are so many other diseases that can affect and kill children and adults in large numbers?

You seem to be the one still living in a cave.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 11:32 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
You seem to be the one still living in a cave.

No, he just doesn't understand statistics, the code of laws, or logic.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 01:35 pm
@firefly,
So by some strange magical means Firefly you removed all guns from the planet and using the same magical means you keep people from producing more, and the mass killers change to swords, then you wave your magical wand and removed all swords, so next the killers move to gasoline bombs now what Firefly?

Do you stop producing gasoline and stop using anything that run on gasoline Firefly including 99 percents of all cars?

Even if the laws could be use as a magical wand and the laws can not be, there is a millions and one way to harm and kill other people in numbers.

You can not get rid of the tools and means of dealing deaths you can however have protections using some of those same tools in protect the defenseless such as having armed security in schools.

Now we do try to keep weapons off passenger planes as we do in schools however we also have armed sky marshals traveling on an unknown number of flights and armed pilots also on an unknown numbers of flights.

I and others had suggest the same level of security for schools with armed security and also armed teachers program the same as the now armed pilots program.

BillRM

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 02:05 pm
@BillRM,
Footnote one teacher with a firearm in the trunk of his car did armed himself and stop a sniper attacked on students as they let the building after a fire alarm had been pull and captured both of the two shooters.
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 02:20 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Footnote one teacher with a firearm in the trunk of his car did armed himself and stop a sniper attacked on students as they let the building after a fire alarm had been pull and captured both of the two shooters.

Would you agree that the majority of gun shooting accidents and deaths are for the wrong reasons?

Val Killmore

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 02:36 pm
@reasoning logic,
On cue with posting funny gun safety instructions...

reasoning logic

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 02:40 pm
@Val Killmore,
That was funny
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 02:48 pm
@Val Killmore,
That was hilarious...is what that was.

I laughed my butt off.
farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 02:55 pm
@Frank Apisa,
he he he
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 02:58 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
You can not get rid of the tools and means of dealing deaths you can however have protections using some of those same tools in protect the defenseless such as having armed security in schools.

Can't you conceive of any solutions that don't involve the use of even more guns?

Did you surrender your brain when you got your gun permit?

Most children dying with bullet holes in their bodies are not being killed in schools.

We have a significant problem with gun violence in this country--gun violence that kills people on a daily basis, and gun violence that results, with disturbing frequency this year, in mass killings.

Stop blabbering about the other "millions and one way to harm and kill other people in numbers" as a way of avoiding the fact that the easy availability of guns in this country, by just about everyone, is at the root of our problems with gun violence.

You sound as idiotic as Wayne LaPierre.
http://rackjite.com/wp-content/uploads/gunnutpost.jpg

http://www.taylormarsh.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/lapierreandthenra.jpg
BillRM

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 03:03 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Would you agree that the majority of gun shooting accidents and deaths are for the wrong reasons?

How can an accidental shooting ever be for the right reasons?

As far as cops shootings others mosts are valid and needed shootings and most shooting by civilians in self defense are ruled valid as far as I am aware of.

Not sure where I could get the hard statistics for the above but if you wish I will see what I can find.

BillRM

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 03:09 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Can't you conceive of any solutions that don't involve the use of even more guns?

I can not conceived of getting the firearms out of evil doers hands in the US any more then you can get illegal drugs off the streets so the more goods guys that are armed the better all things consider.

But as soon as you find a way of dealing with armed criminals without the counter use of firearms and deadly force why do you not tell the police so they can set the example and disarmed?
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 03:14 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
How can an accidental shooting ever be for the right reasons?

Instead of accidents I should have used the word injuries but even that does not sound correct.

Maybe what I am looking for is that most shootings happen against the innocent on accident than in legitimate defenses.