I'm off to New York City October 1st :)

Mame

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 08:46 am
I've been reading a couple of guidebooks and made tons of notes so I'm prepared for the Big Apple! I've also read Osso's and others threads here about NYC, so I'm really primed.

I've got Oct 2 free - the other days I'm doing the NYC pass and Hop on Bus thing - so if anyone is free to meet for a coffee or lunch somewhere, let me know! Or if you have any advice, lay it on.

The hotel prices are crazy next month - nearly double that of September, so I went with an apartment through a website - much more reasonable.

I've always wanted to go to NY so I'm so excited!

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 17 • Views: 18,991 • Replies: 257

ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 09:09 am
Ooooh, terrific. Have a wonderful time.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 09:08 pm
@ossobuco,
More!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 11:50 pm
@Mame,
Out of 365 days in the year, that's the only day you've got? Damn. I'll be schlepping back and forth to the hospital that week.

I can give you a maybe on Oct. 2. I'd love to meet you. Let's see what we can work out.

Advice? What kind of advice? Where to go? Depends on what you're interested in.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 03:49 am
@Mame,

It's been a very long time since we had a classy visitor from the great north to visit our fair city. Very Happy

You going with an outerborough stay or Manhattan? What kind of lunch food will you be hankering for?
Mame

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 09:05 am
@Roberta,
Yay!

What neighbourhood are you in? We can meet close to you if you like.

I'll be schlepping all over Manhattan the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th. I'm on my own the 2nd and 3rd, and with Alex the other days. He wants to go to some famous guitar store, maybe on the 6th (Saturday) so he can do that on his own, so the Saturday works for me. Or we can meet for dinner any night.

So that's my schedule - you let me know what works for you. We will be at the Double Tree Hotel on Lexington the 1st and 2nd. After that we're in an apartment in Bed-Stuy.

Nope, not looking for advice about where to go or what to eat - got the guide books and a good nose for that - just advice in general, like, "don't take the subway after midnight" or "stay out of XYZ neighbourhood" kind of thing.

I'm looking forward to meeting the renowned 'Boida Smile
Mame

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 09:06 am
@tsarstepan,
You're in NY, too? Wonderful!

Bedford-Stuyvesant, baby... for most of our stay. Where are you?
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 09:18 am
@Mame,
I live in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. While Roberta is an all around Manhattan superstar!
Roberta

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 09:55 am
@Mame,
Mame, Is your apartment in Bed-Stuy Brooklyn or Bed-Stuy in lower Manhattan? Gigantic difference.

Advice: Don't stare. You'll see many starable things. Staring at things is fine. Staring at people is not. Don't walk too slow. I walk very slow. But I'm a native. I can get away with it. When I worked in midtown, I could always spot the tourists because they were walking too slow, strolling. Hey, get in the slow lane. Where is the slow lane? There isn't one.

I'm on the Upper East Side, about three blocks from the Guggeneheim. However, I'm willing to schlep anywhere in Manhattan. That's a bad week for me. Hospital appointments. I never know how long they will take.

We will work it out. I will see you. That's a given.
Mame

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 10:06 am
@Roberta,
Roberta, I'm on Hancock Street in Brooklyn. But we are coming to Manhattan every day and I have a NYC pass and can hop on and off the bus for three days. We will be on the subway and bus every day and I intend to go to the Gugg on the 2nd because I'm on my own and Alex doesn't like art (doesn't like art???? cretin!) so I'm doing the art galleries that day. He may also be dining with his company so I can meet you after your appointments.

I am a fast walker so no worries there. And I'll be on a mission - to see as much as I can each day, so I'll be power walking Smile

We will meet up, even if I have to go to the hospital to see you Smile
Mame

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 10:09 am
@tsarstepan,
Niiiice! And not too far from where we'll be. Do you work there or in Manhattan?
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 10:11 am
@Mame,
I work in the famous Chrysler Building (Manhattan).
Roberta

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 10:56 am
@Mame,
Bed-Stuy Brooklyn! Did you investigate the neighborhood? Look things up online? Scope it out?

I'm trying to decide whether to alarm/alert you. Bed-Stuy is a beautiful, up-and-coming area. But Bed-Stuy has one of the highest crime rates in the city. I'm concerned. Maybe I should be, and maybe I don't have to be.

I don't know much about Brooklyn personally. I checked the crime rate on Google.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 11:01 am
@Roberta,
I think the problem area is the area closer to Bushwick. For the most part, Bedford-Stuy has been gentrifying. Not at the same rate as Williamsburg which is the Manhattan of Brooklyn but its not too bad.
Roberta

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 11:03 am
@tsarstepan,
Glad and relieved to hear that. I know about the gentrification. But like I said, I don't know much about Brooklyn. Glad you're around to provide a realistic view.
Mame

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 11:37 am
@Roberta,
Two other people warned me, as well, so I did google it but it's too late to change because the fee is 42.5% of my costs! Anyway, my husband is a bit 6'2" and I'm not going anywhere without him in that area! Also, we'll be getting out really early in the mornings.

So tsar - can we meet for lunch near your building?
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 11:40 am
@Mame,
Sure. I think I can do that if the restaurant is nearby.
Roberta

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 01:30 pm
@Mame,
Foist, I'm embarrassed to admit that there is no Bed Stuy in Manhattan. I was thinking of Stuyvesant Town (lower Manhattan).

Sorry to hear that you can't change. I lived for years in a very dangerous neighborhood. It makes me extra cautious. Please don't assume that your husband's size will keep you safe. Be especially careful in elevators and stairwells. Don't go in parks at night. Be sure that no one follows you into your building. Be aware of your surroundings.

I don't mean to scare you. I just want you to be OK.

You gonna go to the Guggenheim? That place makes me seasick. I don't know what will be exhibited when you're here. The permanent collection has some wonderful paintings.

Not gonna bore you with my take on art in Noo Yawk. But the Upper East Side has a number of museums.

One more word of advice. Don't be surprised when you see how expensive everything is.

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 01:35 pm
Check the Guggenheim website Mame!
Quote:
All ramps of the museum are closed while we prepare for the upcoming exhibition Picasso Black and White, opening on Friday, October 5, 2012.

http://www.guggenheim.org/
I guess the museum will still be open but I think the main spiraling ramp (AKA the main part of the museum will be off limits until the 5th of October).
ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 01:43 pm
@tsarstepan,
Oh, that's neat, Tsar.

(I'm getting jealouser and jealouser.)