I'm off to New York City October 1st :)

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 01:45 pm
@ossobuco,
I even got a chance to donate blood at a blood drive on the 50th floor. Quite a nice view of Brooklyn and Queens. Quite a neat ole building. Smile
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 03:24 pm
Isn't there any time for us working stiffs to meet you et al for a drink early some night?

Joe(I'll have to read through the thread again.)Nation
Mame

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 03:30 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta, thank you, thank you, thank you for your concern and all of your advice. What i meant was it won't be just my little 5'2" self walking home and I will be calling this apartment owner prior to our arrival to get her take on things. I have read The Gift of Fear several times and will be on watch!

Yes, I have to go to the Guggenheim - it has over 2 million works of art!!! I'll check out the website, as Tsar suggested. By my pass is good for the 5th!!

As for $$$ - that's why I got the NYC passes - they allow you to travel Manhattan for three days (hop on and hop off at 50 stops) and includes entry to 70 places... so everywhere we want to go is free, and we can bypass any lineups. I

just have to get a 7-day metro card for us for after 6 pm and to and from Brooklyn.
Mame

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 03:31 pm
@tsarstepan,
Of course! You're the one working!!

You tell ME where and when we should meet - Oct 2nd is the best day because I won't be on the HOHO bus, but if that doesn't work, I'll arrange my schedule to suit yours.
Mame

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 03:31 pm
@tsarstepan,
Thank you, I will check it out - but I could always return on the 5th Smile
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 03:32 pm
@ossobuco,
Wish you could join us, Osso... we'd have a field day in the art galleries.
Mame

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 03:33 pm
@Joe Nation,
Absolutely - we're done the HOHO bus at 6:00 -ish. Would love to meet you anytime you say. You can pick the place, too Smile
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 03:37 pm
Please post photos after your visit, Mame. It is always fun to see A2Kers get together.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 03:38 pm
@Mame,
I don't suppose you're into keeping food diaries.. but if you are, you know I'd be avid to hear what you liked and didn't. ; )
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 03:49 pm
@Mame,
Yeah! I'm cringing at the one day for art galleries thing, oh, lordy. But you can do it, I know you can. (So many I didn't see. If I ever get there again I'd like to go to some galleries with Tsar too.) Sigh, you and Thomas and I had such a good time not liking the art on Canyon Road in Santa Fe. Well, lower Canyon Road. After we got back, Dys told me the good places are higher up the road. Eh!

Mame

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 03:51 pm
@wandeljw,
If they approve, consider it done, wandel.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 03:56 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, he shoulda told us that BEFORE we went! Duh!

I will definitely tell you about the food, Osso, I'm a foodie! And that's not the only day for art galleries - when he goes to museums, I'm going to galleries. I am museumed-out. But I would like to go to the American Museum of Natural History, and maybe the Jewish Museum.

I enjoyed dissing that art Smile although I don't recall Thomas opening his mouth (except to eat your lunch! lol) and really do wish you could have joined me/us in NYC. It's always more fun with someone with the same interests. I read your whole thread the other day - I'll have to go back and reread it now that I'm actually going.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 04:09 pm
@Mame,
I reread it too (sounded like an enthralled idiot, I did) and enjoyed being there all over again.

On your having more than one day re art, breathing in relief. On the art we three saw on Canyon Road, I've a slight memory of Thomas saying one sentence or so about not liking it. Or maybe less than a sentence.
Re food, you were so fun to talk about food with - I remember we both have strong avidities and dislikes and were glad to say so.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 12:33 pm
Anybody have any suggestions for me for a way to call A2Kers in NYC that doesn't cost the earth? Is there some kind of throwaway phone I can buy there? Bell Canada is prohibitive outside of Canada. I will be at the hotel for only two days and I don't think there's a phone in the apartment.
roger

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 02:01 pm
@Mame,
I use TracPhone. All minutes are charged exactly the same these days, though I don't know what kind of coverage they have in Canada. I can get 400 prepaid minutes to be used in one year, and consider it priceless since I only use it when traveling.

If you send your number and a good time to call, we can find out if it works cross border, but I'm reasonably sure it does.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 02:17 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Of course! You're the one working!!

You tell ME where and when we should meet - Oct 2nd is the best day because I won't be on the HOHO bus, but if that doesn't work, I'll arrange my schedule to suit yours.

Let me figure out the area for something appropriate.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 03:30 pm
@Mame,
Normally you buy a local SIM card and put it in your phone. Of course you then have a different number and you need to have a way of letting people know your new number.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 03:35 pm
@dlowan,
or not knowing it.

just sayin'...
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 03:36 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Normally you buy a local SIM card and put it in your phone. Of course you then have a different number and you need to have a way of letting people know your new number.

http://www.anbg.gov.au/images/flags/semaphore/semaphore.gif
Now? Wasn't that easy? Razz
dlowan

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 05:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
Or she could text you all her new number....

You made Mame look like a spidder!