I'm off to New York City October 1st :)

Mame

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 07:09 pm
@dlowan,
That doesn't work with Bell Canada because they lock the phones and won't give you the codes. Bah humbug.... changing to a new provider when my contract is up. In the meantime....
dlowan

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 08:53 pm
@Mame,
Sounds like a cheap throwaway then. That's MEAN. I just used my normal for conveniece sake....it certainly cost a LOT. I don't know if a couple of days would cost all THAT much though? I used mine for six weeks overseas.....
firefly

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 09:43 pm
@Mame,
Mame, you can buy this Tracfone for $10

http://www.tracfone.com/phone_detail.jsp?contentID=UCMTST_008463&title=Samsung T105G

You can buy a 30 minute airtime card for $10, or a 60 minute airtime card for $20. Look at the pay-as-you-go airtime cards on this page.
https://www.tracfone.com/direct/Purchase?payGo=true&app=TRACFONE&lang=en

That particular phone gives you double minutes--so, if you buy the 30 minute card, that will give you 60 minutes of talktime on the phone, and, if you buy the 60 minute card, that will give you 120 minutes of talktime.

You can order the phone from Tracfone's Web site and then buy the airtime card on their Web site after you get the phone. On their site they tell you how to activate the phone and add airtime.
Immediately after you buy the airtime card online, you just follow some simple instructions and the airtime you just purchased is automatically added to your phone.

When they ask where the phone will be used, give them area code 212 that's Manhattan. The area code doesn't really matter--you can make nationwide and international calls on these phones. Tracfone has very good service.
And, should you need to add more talktime to the phone, while you are in NYC, you can easily do that.

I hope you have a great time in the Big Apple.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 09:51 pm
@firefly,
(and don't let bell-canada know aboot your cheap phone, eh)

they might make you stay here...
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2012 05:08 am
@firefly,
Hey, Wow, Thank You, Firefly! I'll check that out right away.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2012 08:49 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Or she could text you all her new number....

You made Mame look like a spidder!

Now that wouldn't be fun now would it? Rolling Eyes
firefly

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2012 10:53 am
@Mame,
I made a mistake with that particular phone Mame--it doesn't double the minutes when you buy the airtime. Sorry 'bout that.

This phone, at $15, does double the minutes. Still a good deal--the double minutes does save money on the airtime purchases.
http://www.tracfone.com/phone_detail.jsp?contentID=UCMTST_009388&title=Samsung T245G
Mame

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2012 12:24 pm
@firefly,
Hey, no problem. My husband also told me he has a cell he's not using and we can get a US pkg on it or something, so when he comes back from out of town, we'll check that out. And if I have Skype on my phone, I can use wifi. All plausible solutions. Thanks!
firefly

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2012 12:50 pm
@Mame,
Those NYC hop on hop off passes sound great.

What's at the top of your must see/must do list?
Mame

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2012 02:24 pm
@firefly,
MoMA and the Guggenheim. Eat. Frick Gallery. Eat. The Met. Museum of Art. American Museum of Natural History. Then all the usual... just wandering around all the neighbourhoods Smile

Have you been there?
firefly

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2012 02:55 pm
@Mame,
I love spending time in New York City whenever I can. And visiting all the places you've mentioned. And going to Lincoln Center, and the theater, and wandering around various neighborhoods in lower Manhattan, and window shopping on Madison Ave, and eating....and eating Smile What's not to like?
Mame

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2012 03:48 pm
@firefly,
Sounds like heaven to me Smile
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2012 06:21 pm
@dlowan,
Well, I checked and it's a minimum of $2.25/minute = that's more than $10 for a 5 minute call. Given that I am arranging to meet four people, with calls back and forth, it could be $$$. And probably won't be taking my Mac, so... it's all down to the phone. Of course, we could email! And... I have Skype on my phone, so Skyping in a wifi zone seems like the reasonable thing to do.
roger

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2012 09:31 pm
@tsarstepan,
Remember, tsar, it's Mame for museums and culture. It's roger for the Shake Shack expedition.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2012 10:08 pm
@Mame,
Been to the Cloisters? If you like mediaeval art!!!! And the surrounding park is lovely.
Mame

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2012 08:04 am
@dlowan,
It's on my list, d... I love all things medieval.

And Rog, I'll go to the Shake Shack with you. It's on my list, too.
JTT

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 05:22 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
And... I have Skype on my phone, so Skyping in a wifi zone seems like the reasonable thing to do.

Not sure on this, but does it matter what you do on your cell phone, Mame? Isn't minutes roaming all that matters?
Mame

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 06:24 pm
@JTT,
According to my sister, if you use Skype, there's no roaming - your Safari hooks up to the WIFI and you can use all those features for free on the internet. It's the Bell system I don't want to use. She just came back from 7 weeks in Europe and she skyped us the whole time. You turn the roaming feature off your phone. I'll have to double-check.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 10:21 am
@Mame,
I live a catapult's stone throw from the Cloisters.

Joe(heh)Nation
Mame

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 11:33 am
@Joe Nation,
Poifect! I intend to go there, too.