I'm off to New York City October 1st :)

firefly

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2012 09:25 pm
@Roberta,
The Red Rooster is also one of the Harlem restuarants offering a prix fixe 3 course dinner for $30 and a prix fixe lunch for $20 from Oct 1--Oct 15.

Someone would have to print this coupon out for Mame, and give it to her, in order for her to get that special promotion.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151062646015885&set=a.309187345884.144855.196573310884&type=1&theater
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 10:24 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
You know, you could study the city this weekend, decide what neighborhoods you want to see (Chinatown, The Village, Battery Park, whatever) and you can go to all of them by MetroCard. No bus needed.

Just to clarify: The MetroCard works in buses, too. So if you want to get to your destination by bus --- maybe because you see more of the city that way --- you can do that with your Metrocard.
Thomas

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 10:28 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
Did I mention not to to buy any food IN the museums?

Don't buy any food IN the museums.

While that's always good general advice, my parents and I all loved the restaurant inside the Metropolitan Museum. The food is pricey but worth paying for, and the surroundings are impossible to beat.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 10:29 am
@Thomas,
That's the only museum I've ever ate in here in NYC. The one on the first floor (with the Central Park view) is nice. Slightly pricey but nice.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 10:38 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

It's done.

Thanks!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 11:08 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
Just to clarify: The MetroCard works in buses, too. So if you want to get to your destination by bus --- maybe because you see more of the city that way --- you can do that with your Metrocard.

I meant the tour buses they were contemplating getting a pass for (and today would taking a shower in all the way around the city.)

Joe(I avoid buses most of the time anyway.)Nation
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 11:31 am
@Joe Nation,
Ask Thomas what a bussi (pl.: bussis) is - something, you really wouldn't avoid Wink
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 11:34 am
@Thomas,
I've always preferred to take regular city buses in Manhattan because you do get to see more of the City than you can traveling by subway.
So, to visit the Cloisters, for instance, I'd take the M4 bus to the last stop. If coming from the Met Museum, I'd get the M4 at Madison Avenue/83rd Street. But Mame could even get on it in mid-town. She can take the subway for the return trip, or just rest and relax and people watch from the bus. If you're not really in a hurry to get somewhere, the bus is a good way to go.

I think the restaurant in the Met Museum is just lovely. It's a nice spot to rest, even just for a cup of tea or coffee.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 11:35 am
@Thomas,
I shied off from disagreeing with JoeN on this as I know Joe knows his food. But, hey, so do I. I had a lovely lunch by myself in the Metropolitan..

quoting my NYC diary: I got myself a dish of ravioli with mushrooms and truffles with asparagus and red peppercorn sauce, plus a glass of wine...and wrote in my diary and read a little book I bought on Bonnard. Watched myself doing this, sitting in the Met eating ravioli.

It wasn't all that expensive. I'm used to Los Angeles and San Francisco, fer heaven sakes. I was so avid for the museum it was as if my feet were glued to it by magnets for days , and that first day I was there for a lot of hours on end, six or seven.

Edit to add that I had a light breakfast - coffee and a croissant perhaps - with PaolaL in what was then the Met cafeteria. That was when we first met, and had a good long talk with absolutely no one else in the cafeteria but a server behind the counter. Whatever it cost, not much, it was well worth it. She knew the museum cold, probably as deeply as Roberta does, very attached to it.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 11:53 am
@ossobuco,
Hmmm.
http://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:10001.5.99999 (NYC forecast)

Walter, busses in english is also kisses..
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 03:20 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Me: Hi eveyone. My name is Tsar Stepan and I'm an early arriver addict.
Group at EAA (Early Arriver Addicts): Hi Tsar.

I admit I have a problem. Razz

I'm at the Starbucks across the street of the restaurant now. Weather not permitting I got here early to walk around my old neighborhood. Not going to happen with this rain. Rolling Eyes
ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 03:29 pm
@tsarstepan,
Hi, Tsar; memories of day two of my own trip. Of course when I lived there back when, weather varied. What is this hell for our loved Mame and Alex?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 04:17 pm
@tsarstepan,
I just got out of the shower. Enjoy the coffee.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 04:42 pm
@Roberta,
I'm now at the restaurant if anyone else arrives early.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 07:28 pm
Back. I had a lovely time. Fun. Interesting. Glad to meet Mame and happy to see Thomas, tsar, and Joe again.

We talked about what Mame did today--Metropolitan Museum and the Guggenheim. We talked a bit about art, Noo Yawk, accents. There was a fair collection at the table. Moi--Noo Yawk. tsar--Boston. Thomas--German. Mame--Canadian. And Joe--parts unknown.

I asked Mame about her stint cooking for workers way the hell up north. An adventure for her and an education for the eaters. Yes, those are vegetables.

I enjoyed the food and got a sizable doggie bag. My leftovers and Joe's.

Rockhead

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 07:31 pm
@Roberta,
dang...

I wondered where everybody was at tonight.

they're all having dinner with Raboida.

I'm kinda jealous...
Roberta

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 08:31 pm
@Rockhead,
So get your ass to NYC, and we'll eat.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 08:35 pm
@Roberta,
soon.

all roads lead to broadway...

mebbe we'll take thomas so the taxi doesn't cost so much...
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 04:58 am
Okay, so, what have we learned?
1) Five is the right number for a meet-up because all five get to talk to all of the other four people.
2) That rain does not dampen intrepid travelers, it just slows them down.
3) Speaking of wet, apparently my advice re: eating in Museums is all wet. Suit yourselves.
4) 92%, by my reckoning, of A2kers who appear at Meet-ups are EXACTLY like they are here on the threads. Mame is an exception, she is more delightful. I know, how could that be possible?
5) Chinese restaurant single servings can feed a family of four. (but you knew that)
6) That no matter how early I get to a venue, there is always somebody already there, but they never check the bar (which is where I am sitting schmoozing with the barmaid and one of the regulars who is so regular they keep a bottle of sparkling water on the bar just for him because he likes a bit of water with his wine. Former priest, maybe) and I never ask the hostess to take me to the table until the appointed time which is when the aforementioned really early birds and I finally meet.
7) When you have a Bronx girl, a Canadian from Calgary, a German and a Massachusetts escapee sitting in one place you are going to talk about accents and speech regionalisms. !EH?
8) The visiting tourist seemed to have prepared well and I'm sure she will provide a lengthy and detailed reviews of her travels, so I'm not going to say what she said last night at dinner except to repeat that Mame is a charmer. I did say before didn't I? No? ~~Hmmmm. Good, I don't want to be any more redundant than when I called her a "visiting tourist."
9) We scattered at nine, which is a good time for scattering. Tsar headed back to Sunset Park which always sounds to me like a place to live near the beach in Boca Raton. Roberta (what a trooper), Thomas and I hailed a cab headed uptown for her and got her on her way. I headed for the Park and the West Side then North. Thomas trekking all the way to East Jesus, New Jersey.

I don't have a clue how or when Mame disappeared into the mist.

Joe(confident tourist, I should have said)Nation
margo

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 06:14 am
Good report!
0 Replies