Is this a specious argument for pro-abortion?

Foofie

Fri 31 Aug, 2012 09:46 am
I've now heard the argument for pro-abortion that if a child was conceived due to a rape, then it is so heart-breaking for a mother that can then find it hard to love a child conceived during a rape.

If that is true, that a women might find it hard to love a child that is conceived due to a rape, then I wonder how women the world over managed to care for a child that was conceived due to a rape, since initially, many traits of a specific demographic came from rapes of invading armies?

Are more of today's women more self-indulgent, in that they want only a child that was conceived during a loving relationship? Well, that could be the ideal, but many of us, myself included, have physical traits that I know are not from the one ethnic group with who I identify. And, a percentage of those traits were likely due to rapes. I do not feel that lessened any ancestral woman's ability to care lovingly for the child born of that rape.

In effect, is this argument for pro-abortion forgetting the innocence of a child born due to the rape of its mother? The argument seems to dwell on the supposed fragility of a mother's love, and that a mother's love is more important than a life? Or, is the emphasis on a supposed "right of a mother to have nothing hinder her love for a child"?

This emphasis on a mother's love could be extrapolated to include children in a home where divorce occurs. Then one can muse that if a son looks and acts like the father, the mother could lose her love for the son, and then the son should supposedly be removed from the loveless mother?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 20 • Views: 16,173 • Replies: 308
Topic Closed

ehBeth

Fri 31 Aug, 2012 09:54 am
@Foofie,
The argument is for the involved woman to be able to make her own choices. It is not pro-abortion. It is pro-choice.

You know - less government interference in people's lives and all that good stuff.

You'd think American conservatives would not approve of government involvement in people's personal lives, but they seem to be heading in a very authoritarian direction. Sometimes it feels like I'm reading about the old days of Red China when I read American conservative commentary.
Foofie

Fri 31 Aug, 2012 10:12 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

The argument is for the involved woman to be able to make her own choices. It is not pro-abortion. It is pro-choice.

You know - less government interference in people's lives and all that good stuff.

You'd think American conservatives would not approve of government involvement in people's personal lives, but they seem to be heading in a very authoritarian direction. Sometimes it feels like I'm reading about the old days of Red China when I read American conservative commentary.

O.K. Being pro-life can appear incongruous for a conservative view that includes smaller government and individual freedom orientation. However, conservatism does want to conserve the past, as an earlier consituency knew it. So, while ethnics may not again become pariahs, as they once were, in a conservative earlier nation, allowing women to end a pregnancy, with the same aplomb as straightening one's hair, just forgets the individual right of a fetus to live. I say fetus; however, as technology allows us to hear the heartbeat of a fetus, and see the fetus sucking his/her thumb, and thinking on some level, I am beginning to think of a fetus as just a "baby in the womb." Sort of like a Christmas present that has not yet been unwrapped, since it is just December 1.
boomerang

Fri 31 Aug, 2012 11:17 am
@Foofie,
Yes, it is possible for a woman to love her child that was conceived during a rape. I knew once such woman, really just a girl -- she was only 16. She loved her kid but she didn't have a hard time admitting that every day she was reminded of the most brutal day of her life.

She had a great family that stood by her through everything.

A lot of girls/women don't have that support and on the street they're just "another shitty slut who can't keep her legs closed and expects the government to help her out".

That's what people said about my friend. At first she tried to defend herself but it was awful for her to have to detail her horrible day for the benefit of unkind strangers. She eventually became immune to it.

So maybe we need to change that kind of thinking before we start insisting that every woman who gets pregnant from rape has to keep her baby.

Another woman I know was raped and became pregnant and placed the baby for adoption so she was kind of double slapped by the nightmare.

And some rape is incest and that can't be a good situation for any of the people involved, including the baby.

I'm a long way from being "pro-abortion" but really, it's none of my damn business what any woman decides is best for her.
0 Replies

JPB

Fri 31 Aug, 2012 11:26 am
I don't know a single person who is pro-abortion. It's a misnomer intended to denigrate those who are pro-choice. There's a photo running around the social media sites showing a Catholic nun claiming that pro-lifers are more likely to be simply pro-birth who don't give two squats about the life of the child once it's born. I think she has a valid point.

Regarding the speciousness of a pregnancy that results from a rape being a case for a woman (girl) to choose to abort the fetus... I see it as one reason why someone might choose to abort the fetus, but I don't see it as specious in any way.
ehBeth

Fri 31 Aug, 2012 11:32 am
@Foofie,
You can think about it in whatever you want.

However, I don't think it is any of your business what anyone else decides to do.
Frank Apisa

Fri 31 Aug, 2012 11:48 am
Listening in.
0 Replies

roger

Fri 31 Aug, 2012 11:56 am
@ehBeth,
Right. I will never understand how or why we managed to hand this issue to the liberal faction.

And like JPB, I don't know of a single person who is pro-abortion.
gungasnake

Fri 31 Aug, 2012 12:12 pm
@ehBeth,
I'll say it again, I only have a half dozen or so issues with the GOP and "right2life(TM)" is one of them.

But things like abortion rights and faux-racism are luxury issues which nobody can afford in this particular election. A person on the edge of starving is not going to worry about abortion rights or racism, and that is where the present crop of democrats and Gaea worshipers is taking us. They literally want 80% of the human race gone.
ehBeth

Fri 31 Aug, 2012 12:16 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
However, conservatism does want to conserve the past, as an earlier consituency knew it.

in that case, abortion shouldn't be illegal in the U.S., as abortion wasn't outlawed until 1821 - and that was only in Connecticut

chronology U.S.

or do you want to pick a different earlier constituency - one you like better?
ehBeth

Fri 31 Aug, 2012 12:16 pm
@gungasnake,
Do I get to pick the 80% that goes? I could go for that.
0 Replies

Irishk

Fri 31 Aug, 2012 12:28 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
And like JPB, I don't know of a single person who is pro-abortion.
You haven't read Jessica DelBalzo's blog. She proclaims that she loves abortion and doesn't think it should be 'rare'.

Quote:
I love abortion. I don't accept it. I don't view it as a necessary evil. I embrace it. I donate to abortion funds. I write about how important it is to make sure that every woman has access to safe, legal abortion services. I have bumper stickers and buttons and t-shirts proclaiming my support for reproductive freedom. I love abortion.

And I bristle every time a fellow activist uses a trendy catch-phrase or rallying cry meant to placate pro-lifers. The first of these, “Make abortion safe, legal, and rare!” has been used for decades as a call for abortion rights.

I think she's anti-adoption or something. She does appear to have followers.
Frank Apisa

Fri 31 Aug, 2012 12:37 pm
@Irishk,
She's a Republican plant...so they can claim some people love abortion.

List 5 other people who do...or if you can't, list 4 other people...or if you can't, list 3 other people.

In order for the "some people love abortion" to make sense, you really should be able to list several tens of thousands.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 31 Aug, 2012 12:40 pm
@Irishk,
Truly bizarre. I've definitely never met her, or anyone like her.
Irishk

Fri 31 Aug, 2012 12:48 pm
@ehBeth,
She has a blog on salon.com. And Google indicates her FB page as 'antiadoptiongrrl'. Haven't read enough of her articles to see why she's so against adoption, though.
0 Replies

roger

Fri 31 Aug, 2012 12:51 pm
@Irishk,
True, I haven't read her. My beliefs are just beliefs, not a hobby or career.

Irishk

Fri 31 Aug, 2012 12:54 pm
@roger,
That's allowed Smile
0 Replies

RABEL222

Fri 31 Aug, 2012 06:43 pm
I agree that abortion isent what I prefer for pregnent women. but it isent my decision. I just wish the conservatives cared about babies after they were born.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Fri 31 Aug, 2012 06:49 pm
@JPB,
JPB

Fri 31 Aug, 2012 07:25 pm
@maxdancona,
What ^ said.
0 Replies