I've been having some diet difficulties and need serious help!!

Green Witch

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 03:33 pm
@roger,
You're diabetic aren't you, Roger?
0 Replies

Equestrianforlife7xo

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 03:59 pm
@Green Witch,
Oooo. I gotcha. And not even 1-2 waffles in the morning is ok, when you start exercising an hour after?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 04:00 pm
@Green Witch,
I think she would rather have a nice, concise list of enjoyable things she could eat, and how much. So would I: it just doesn't exist.
Equestrianforlife7xo

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 04:02 pm
@roger,
My goal isnt zero sugar. Its to not go over my goal/max intake on that fitness pal app of mine which the sugar goal is either 25, or 35. I dont want to be in the negative. And idk who said it, but someone on here actually told me i shouldnt even be having any sugar because of the hypoglecimia that I believe i do have.
0 Replies

Equestrianforlife7xo

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 04:03 pm
@roger,
Yess exactly!!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 04:19 pm
I've been hovering around the same weight for a few years now, and I'm happy with it. I lost something like 45 pounds slowly, starting about six months before I moved to New Mexico, at +/- 185, near my highest weight ever. Now I'm around 140, and happy with it, don't actually want to get thinner. I now don't exercise like I used to - that 185 was a spike type weight, as my usual worst was around 160, and I kept to that or less with a fair amount of exercise and interest in nutrition. So, I've been here six years and lost another 20 slowly, the weight so far insanely stable.

Among gradual changes -

I have cooked virtually all my own food for most of these last bunch of years; now I'm going to restaurants with a friend more often, which gives me a break in being Ms. Kitchen. I'm a whiny customer, in that I either leave 2/3s of what is on my plate (even ordering sanely, they give me three carbohydrate servings) or take something useful home, like meat I can put in a soup. I call these places Pile On Carbs, but they are convenient and relatively inexpensive.

Since I have to use what money is in my wallet to buy nutritious food, and veggies also add up in price, I almost never buy anything in the super market for dessert, except that I do buy fruit, for making crostatas (sort of like pie) or eating by themselves, especially apples in season. I almost never buy packaged anything, especially packaged lunches, dinners, or snacks - whether or not they say 'lite'. I do buy packaged flours of different kinds (to make breads) and sometimes packaged greens if the produce section is at its worst. I even gave up my beloved packaged Saag Paneer (way too much salt), plus I can make it.
Edit, I still buy canned tomatoes.

I did buy a good brand of chocolate bar (I think a square inch of good dark chocolate every once in a while is good for me) about a month ago, and it's still in the refrigerator unopened. And I love chocolate - I've just stopped craving sweets.

I don't think it's useful to cut out all carbs, just to have the carbs you choose be
the low glycemic index type the great majority of the time. There are plenty of articles on this if you google.

In a way, I agree with both Engineer and Green Witch. Greenie's views I take wholeheartedly, having arrived at a similar set of views myself. But, our poster is pretty strong on not listening, and Engineer gets that - and his relatively simple 'first step' makes sense if she will at least listen to that. Engineer gets what we are saying, but is making a simple starter suggestion.

Jes, your dimension numbers are terrific. Very good to read.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 04:32 pm
@roger,
I think Equestrian would actually do well on a program like Weight Watcher's for teens. I was actually asking because I wondered if you feel you became diabetic due to your lifestyle/food habits when you were young or if it was something else? My father is a diabetic and it was due to a youth of way too many donuts, cookies, cakes, and pasta.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 04:32 pm
@roger,
Be careful what you ask for, Sir.
roger

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 05:12 pm
@Green Witch,
That is probable. I believe type II is caused, but you also have to have the genetic potential.

At present, I'm at 170 which is still overweight, but way down from 212. One of the first things to get it under control was to switch from Coke to ice tea. By itself, that made a significant improvement on weight, and maybe posponed the diabetes by a decade.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 05:13 pm
@ossobuco,
Whaat!? You're not going to turn into one of those people who says "Here, have a carrot stick to chew on".

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 05:33 pm
@roger,
No, though I like carrot sticks, especially pickled, better than cooked carrots. I think of cooked carrots as part of a battuto, a mix of sauteed slivers of onions, carrots, celery, as a starter for slow cooked sauces.

I think I might batter you with suggested asian food items.
roger

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 05:51 pm
@ossobuco,
That's a problem with Chinese, at least. Too many things battered. What are they trying to hide?
ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 05:59 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

I wish I was. Smile No, ehBeth and I are peers. I am turning 50 in less than 2 months. I am also female.

you'll always be my gal Wink
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 06:01 pm
@jespah,
Those measurements are tremendous evidence of the improvement in your fitness. Good good going!

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 06:08 pm
@roger,
China is a large place.
0 Replies

Equestrianforlife7xo

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 05:48 pm
Did you guys mean HYPERglicemia?? ... I asked my mom and she said HIGH sugar is HYPERglycemia is high and HYPO is low... If I'm consuming too much sugar I would know it's hyper not hypo which is less...
Equestrianforlife7xo

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 05:52 pm
@Green Witch,
Dont you mean HYPERglycemia??? I just told my mom and she said HYPO is LOW and HYPER is high... I would know, and shes a medical assistant involved in EKGS, cardiology and all that type of stuff... You people are jokes.
Atom Blitzer

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 06:02 pm
@Equestrianforlife7xo,
Wow, people try to help you and work with you, and all you can do is demean them. You are a mediocre not worth people's time.
Equestrianforlife7xo

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 06:04 pm
@Atom Blitzer,
But how?! I just asked my mom and she said hypo is low and hyper is high! So i have hyperglycemia not HYPOglycemia! How is it my fault if you guys are giving me incorrect information.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 06:07 pm
@Equestrianforlife7xo,
No. It's hypo, and yes I do know that means low blood sugar. Oddly, it can be associated with diabetes, which is clearly high blood sugar.

If you get into a hypoglycemia condition, you are going to be hungry, and very hungry for carbohydrates. At best, it takes at least 15 minutes for anything you eat to metabolize into blood sugar. Meanwhile, you are eating to the point of discomfort, and beyond. At that point, your blood sugar is rising to dangerous levels. No matter what kind of diet you adopt, if any, don't let yourself move into the hypoglycemic range. You not only become physically weak, you lose coordination and the ability to focus thoughts. It can even result in coma.

Trust me on this. I'm not trying to prove how smart I am, or something like that.