I've been having some diet difficulties and need serious help!!

roger

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 06:07 pm
@Atom Blitzer,
Oh, buzz off.
0 Replies

Equestrianforlife7xo

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 06:45 pm
@roger,
I don't know, it just doesn't make any sense. If I currently have LOW blood sugar(hypoglycemia) then it's not a worry... Right? Cause it's not high blood sugar(hyperglycemia). Usually if you have low of something, its okay, but high is not where you want to be.
0 Replies

Equestrianforlife7xo

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 06:47 pm
@roger,
And then someone was saying I shouldn't be having any sugar at all with hypoglycemia... But it's LOW blood sugar, so why can't I have ANY if it's low? Do you get what I'm saying
Green Witch

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 07:28 pm
@Equestrianforlife7xo,
I get you are being lazy about looking anything up and educating yourself. You're old enough to do some research without an adult holding your hand and I assume you know how to do a Google search. Since you apparently don't believe Roger and I, go find out what hypoglycemia is via the web and then come back and tell us what you have learned.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 07:39 pm
@Green Witch,
I don't know where you take your patience, Green Witch, this girl is clearly pulling your leg. A 15 year old - even a mentally challenged one - doesn't act like she's doing here, in addition to contradicting herself and forgetting what lie she told a few pages before.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 07:47 pm
@CalamityJane,
She likes the attention. I don't think she is really lying so much as doing things to keep the grown-ups interacting with her.
Equestrianforlife7xo

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 07:49 pm
@CalamityJane,
What lie did I tell?? My mom is the one who told me you guys are wrong, I have hyperglycemia not HYPOglecemia!! If I have to stay away from sugar, then clearly I have high sugar, not low. Common sense
0 Replies

Equestrianforlife7xo

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 07:51 pm
@Green Witch,
What are you even talking about?! I wanted help in the first place and to find out ACCURATE information! But apparently you guys are all wrong because my mom told me today word-for-word, "hyperglycemia is HIGH blood sugar, and Hypoglycemia is LOW blood sugar... You stated I shouldn't get ANY sugar actually. So obviously I have the hyperglycemia. If I had low, I wouldnt need to watch out this much. Want to call my mother? Seriously.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 07:54 pm
@Equestrianforlife7xo,
It's good to hear that you talked to your mother about this. Hopefully this means she is interested in helping you with your diet and fitness goals.

Good luck.
Equestrianforlife7xo

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 07:54 pm
@Green Witch,
Uhmm F.Y.I, I DID look it up! It's not that I don't believe you guys, I'm confused because my mother told me different.
Equestrianforlife7xo

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 07:55 pm
@ehBeth,
I just asked her what hypoglycemia is, and what hyperglycemia is, and the differences between the two.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 07:56 pm
@Equestrianforlife7xo,
Equestrianforlife7xo wrote:
my mom told me today word-for-word, "hyperglycemia is HIGH blood sugar, and Hypoglycemia is LOW blood sugar...

that is correct and is what greenwitch and roger have already said to you.

You don't seem to understand the implications of hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia. Talk to your mother about what they mean in terms of health and diet.
Equestrianforlife7xo

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 07:56 pm
@ehBeth,
What are implications?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 07:57 pm
@Equestrianforlife7xo,
I'm confused because my mother told me different.

your mother provided the same definitions you were given here.

Now you need to talk to her about what each of them means in terms of health implications and nutrition.
Equestrianforlife7xo

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 08:01 pm
@ehBeth,
Yes. She did. However it's not the definition that's the problem here, it's giving me the correct answer; which one I may have. She said hyperglycemia, but you guys are saying hypoglycemia. Yet again, SAME definitions here.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 08:25 pm
@Equestrianforlife7xo,
I suggest you talk to your doctor and have them do a glucose tolerance test to determine if you have one or the other. No guessing that way. I will tell you that low blood sugar does not mean you are lacking sugar, but rather your body cannot process sugars in a healthy way.
Equestrianforlife7xo

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 08:54 pm
@Green Witch,
Ohhhh, process the sugar in a healthy way, I didn't know that.. :/ gotta tell my mom and see what she says. Thanks
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 09:11 pm
@Equestrianforlife7xo,

. . . "hyperglycemia is HIGH blood sugar, and Hypoglycemia is LOW blood sugar... You stated I shouldn't get ANY sugar actually. So obviously I have the hyperglycemia.

You are dead right on the definitions. I would never tell anyone they shouldn't have ANY sugar. I'm looking at a 14.5 oz can of green beens right now, and the label says it contains 2g of "sugars" per serving. While there may be a vegetable lower in sugar and carbohydrates, I don't know what it might be.

Now, I don't know that you have either hyper or hypoglycemia. If you eat more carbohydrates than you need to maintain normal blood sugar, one of two things is going to happen. With a normal metabolism, your blood sugar will rise, and the excess either goes to body fat, or glycogen which stored in the liver and muscles. In other words, you gain weight, and it isn't a good gain. At a later time, the fat and glycogen are converted back to sugar when you need it. If this is happening with you, that's fine and you don't have either hypoglycemia or hypoglycemia, but you will be gaining weight.

That blood sugar is also fuel for the body and brain. To get from the blood into muscle (but not brain) cells, you require insulin. It is produced by the pancreas. If you continue to challenge the system, it will keep on working if you have the right genetics. If you don't, the muscle cells develope insulin resistance, which generally equates to Type II Diabetes. It can also lead to Type I Diabetes, in which the pancreas loses the ability to produce insulin.

Again, your mother is right on the definitions. In fact (again) nobody knows if you have either condition. Someone suggested a glucose tolerance test. That would be a good idea. It would also be a good idea to determine your a1C level, which may be easier and less expensive. These will give you a very good idea of the kind of diet and exercise you may need to maintain blood sugar, and avoid the likelyhood becoming diabetic if you are not already there.

I no longer remember where the talk of hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia started. I hope it wasn't me. You are probably not involved with either. Your heathy, normal metabolism is being fed too much, or too much of the wrong stuff, and it is doing the only thing it knows how to do. It is storing calories, and you don't like the results.

Here's a plan. Eat a couple of cookies. Have dessert. Don't make a meal out of either. Have normal meals (you figure out what's normal) with several colors of vegetables. White is not a color! Treat rice, bread, and potatoes as dessert. You can have them, but do not make a meal of them.

I'm not going to call your mom, but you can sign her up on a2k and direct her to the thread. I imagine we will all talk to her.

Equestrianforlife7xo

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 09:32 pm
@roger,
Everyone was automatically jumping to the conclusion that I Most Likely have the HYPOglycemia. And thank you for that. I will read this all again in the morning so I understand it 100%.

It wasn't you! Like I said, other people were telling me it's likely, and a possibility. Don't worry, you weren't the one who was stressing me out/aggravating me in anyway! You are very helpful and accurate. Also, I was suggesting it to someone else to call my mother. :p *Sarcasm* though. Cause obvs no one would really call my mother. Hahaha she has no clue about this. I just blantly came up to her and asked what the two hypo's were, that's all.

My mom went foodshopping today and I actually told her to get wheat bread :p We shall see tomorrow if I like it!(Hopefully) *crosses fingers*
And I'd rather just go with Engineers diet regimen on this one, and cut out all the sweets. He's right. There un-useful.
Equestrianforlife7xo

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 09:34 pm
@Green Witch,
So if Hypoglycemia doesn't mean you are lacking sugar, but that your body cannot process it in a healthy way, then whats the description for Hyperglycemia??