The Winding Road To The Republican Nomination For President

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 12:27 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
Do you have party registration in IL as we have in VA? I, a Dem, am not called by the Repubs.

A voter can request a Republican or Democratic ballot at the polling station -- that's the extent of party registration in Illinois. That information is public, so it's available to parties for purposes of compiling direct-mailing lists, call lists, etc.
roger

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 02:16 pm
@joefromchicago,
In New Mexico, we register by party. That's public information, and candidates can also find out if you actually bother to vote.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 03:10 pm
@joefromchicago,
I've voted in both Dem and Rep primaries in the past. Everyone calls me! Only one pro-Romney robo call so far today. I actually listened to it. It wasn't pro-Romney, it was anti-Santorum.
JPB

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 02:58 pm
@JPB,
Two anti-Santorum calls today from the Romney camp. Do they have anything to say about Mitt?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 03:02 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Two anti-Santorum calls today from the Romney camp. Do they have anything to say about Mitt?

"You've got nowhere to go, so you might as well accept it."

Cycloptichorn
JPB

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 03:20 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I got a pollster robo-call last night asking me if I was planning on voting in the Republican primary. I pressed "2" for yes. Then I was asked to press 1-4 for which candidate I was going to "support" on Tuesday. I hung up. I can't quite bring myself to going on record as supporting any of them, but I would love to see a head-to-head referendum between Obama and a strong social conservative in the fall.

parados

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 04:19 pm
@JPB,
I'm torn between who I want to lose to Obama in the fall.

If Santorum loses to Obama then the Crazy conservatives will lose control of the GOP.

If Romney loses to Obama then the Conservatives will use that as the excuse to make the GOP more conservative guaranteeing they won't win an election for decades.

For the good of the country, I hope Santorum gets the nomination so we will still have 2 reasonably viable parties.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 04:31 pm
@parados,
<agreeing with Parados>

Scary though, if he would get that far.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 04:34 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

For the good of the country, I hope Santorum gets the nomination so we will still have 2 reasonably viable parties.

New York mag had an article that came to the same conclusion (I posted a link to it somewhere). Took them 6 pages. I prefer the length of your assessment.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 04:34 pm
@JPB,
Well you can't get too much more of a social conservative than Santorum, so Rick'd have to be your man.
parados

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 04:37 pm
@ehBeth,
I was merely summarizing that article. I guess I should have given it credit.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 04:40 pm
@parados,
Drats.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 04:49 pm
@ehBeth,
Yeah, but.... that's a tough box to blacken.

Even if it's Mitt, there will be a strong push to name a social conservative as a running mate. And, then, there's the idea of a brokered convention with Sarah P ready to swoop in and claim the nod. These are crazy times, indeed.

George Will, and others (the old Republican guard), are following parados's thought by suggesting that the R's forget about the Presidency and focus on keeping their hold in the House and regaining the Senate. I think they're toast there too, but we'll have to wait and see.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 10:58 am
Recapping today's race in Puerto Rico. An open primary with 20 delegates at stake, divided proportionally unless a candidate gets more than 50% of the vote. If Romney gets 51% he gets all 20 delegates.
If the vote is 49% for Romney vs 40% for Santorum, the delegates are divided 10 to 8.
Gingrich and Paul have not campaigned in PR but could still prevent Romney from getting over 50% of the vote. That is the way I see it, but Santorum made some pretty stupid comments about Puerto Ricans needing to learn English.
He seemed to support statehood years ago, but that is too long ago, perhaps, to still resonate.
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 05:31 pm
@realjohnboy,
The AP reports, without giving out numbers, that Romney won all 20 delegates in PR. He got more than 50% of the votes.
roger

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 06:43 pm
@realjohnboy,
Statehood doesn't sound like much of an issue in Puerto Rico. There's about as many who want it as don't
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 09:29 pm
@parados,
What if Santorum gets the nod, the economy tanks and Obama gets blamed and President Santorum takes over?
Rockhead

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 09:36 pm
@rosborne979,
sounds like the beginning of an epitaph to me...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 03:41 am
@realjohnboy,
CBC reported last night that he got 80% of the vote.
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 04:52 pm
@Setanta,
Santorum noted today in, I assume, IL, that "We need a candidate who's going to be a fighter for freedom."
He adds, "I don't care what the unemployment rate is going to be."

I think that the conventional wisdom is that the economy will be the deciding issue in November. Romney conceded today that the economy has gotten a bit better in the past few months but he argues that if McCain were in charge, the economy would be even better.
Santorum. meanwhile, seems to be focusing on social issues.