The Winding Road To The Republican Nomination For President

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2012 04:53 pm
Good evening. I assumed that this thread (along with its predecessor) could shut down today after a combined 7,800 posts and 122,000 views. Santorum and Gingrich (and Paul) will not go away, despite suggestions, requests and now demands from the Repub leadership that they do so.
Romney has to finish off the skirmish for the nomination while launching a full-fledged general election campaign against Obama. That began today.
There is a break in the Repub primary schedule until April 24th when a handful of NE states with a lot of delegates up for grabs vote. Santorum only has a slim chance in his home state of PA.
There is an A2K thread called:
The U.S. National Election For President, The Senate And The House Of Representatives
It has been quiet by design. Please join us there for more discussion as we plod along.
Thanks. RealJohnBoy
DrewDad

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 04:51 pm
@realjohnboy,

Lulz.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 12:23 pm
Santorum's "suspending" his campaign.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/10/santorum-to-suspend-campaign
roger

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 12:28 pm
@sozobe,
I do not regret the news.
sozobe

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 12:29 pm
@roger,
No. I do a bit, but only a bit because his campaign was zombie-ing along at this point anyway.

Evidently he's going to try to help Romney:

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entries/report-santorum-told-romney-he-wants-to-help

(VP?)
sozobe

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 01:03 pm
@sozobe,
Didn't say anything about Romney in the speech though.

Suspending the campaign rather than dropping out entirely allows him to continue to raise money to retire his debts.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 01:07 pm
Dang

I wanted the bloodbath to continue for months.

Cycloptichorn
sozobe

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 01:26 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
The problem was he'd already lost his teeth/ claws/ whathaveyou. He wasn't really able to draw blood anymore.

And it looked like he was going to lose PA, which would be the end of things pretty much.

This way he can avoid that loss and claim some moral high ground (I do wish Bella Santorum well).
DrewDad

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 10:02 am
@sozobe,
Why Poorer States Aren't Buying What Romney's Selling

Quote:
Yet, as we look forward to the general election, there is a second relationship that is at least equally interesting. Many have noticed that within states, Romney does better in high-income areas. Figure 2 suggests that this relationship also holds between states: Romney’s voting percentage rises directly with a state’s median income. Or in other words, poor states find Romney resistible.

Social scientists and anyone who is inquisitive will naturally ask what happens if you consider both of these measures together. The answer, alas, is that with only 19 data points, you can’t say anything definitive. There is just not enough information to parse the importance of each. (In statistics, the problem is known as “multicollinearity.”)

But stopping there misses a key point, we think. The county maps and polls testifying to the importance of income in predicting the Romney vote within states (the latter have been oddly missing in some newspaper presentations) all suggest that the Republican Party is now divided fairly sharply along class lines as well as religious ones.

In the general election, this may be important. Right now GOP adherents are trumpeting their confidence that the “flock” (as many evangelical ministers might say) will all return to the fold, united in their desire to defeat President Obama. Many of them, in fact, are likely to do this. But we are hardly alone in observing that turnout in the GOP primaries has been mediocre. In a few states, turnout rose above the levels of 2008, but overall, turnout is down.

In the general election, moreover, Romney will have to reach well beyond his base, to independents and those less predisposed toward all things Republican. By contrast with past GOP nominees Romney’s appeal looks modest, limited largely to affluent voters. One may doubt that his endorsement of the Ryan budget will do much to broaden that appeal, either. To win in November, he is likely to need a stupefying large amount of money and a really good Etch-a-Sketch.
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 04:26 pm
Romney: 92% of jobs lost under Obama were held by women.
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 04:58 pm
@realjohnboy,
I had a stroke on Sat. Typing is hard. R's claim is sort of true but begs for clarification.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 05:00 pm
@realjohnboy,
Glad t0 see you are back.
Irishk

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 10:27 am
@realjohnboy,
Holy cow, rjb! Please take care of yourself!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 10:30 am
@realjohnboy,
damn, glad to see you posting, do take care of yourself
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 10:33 am
@realjohnboy,
Wow, I had no idea. Here's hoping for a full recovery, and a good prognosis.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 11:30 am
@realjohnboy,
Take good care of yourself rjb. I'm glad you're still here.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 12:40 pm
@realjohnboy,
RJB...sorry to hear about the stroke. Hope your recovery is quick and complete. Stick with it!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 01:22 pm
@realjohnboy,
Sorry rjb. Hope you have a good recovery.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 08:22 pm
@ehBeth,
I thought of the two of you while I was in Nashville. (actually, I thought about johnboy several times, but I found out about his stroke moments before I flew away.)

I was parked for a while across from the hospital that that Vander dude built...

but I ordered baby carrots at the cracker bucket, knowing I don't wanna have a stroke, and that beth would be happy I'm eating my carrots...

echoing the thanks that you are still here and posting.

and I apologize for being off topic...

Cool
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 08:33 pm
@realjohnboy,
Egads, Johnboy, I just caught the news about you having a stroke.

Agreeing with all about your taking good care of yourself and progressing to full recovery.

Sending ((((((hug))))))