The Winding Road To The Republican Nomination For President

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 05:27 pm
Mitch Daniels of Indiana slammed Obama over the weekend, He went on to say that there is much alarm about the condition and the direction of the country.
Daniels, an early Republican candidate, continues with that there is an urgency in finding someone capable of presenting a winning alternative to the danger our nation is in.
Then he says that he is not running.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 06:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Hopefully Jeb will not be a factor. HopeIhopeIhopeIhope.

Jeb's planning on being in China on business, I read this morning, during the entire run-up to the convention, during the time he would need to be really putting everything together.

... here's the article

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/291488/where-world-jeb-bush-long-trip-asia-summer-robert-costa

Cycloptichorn
sozobe

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 07:45 pm
@realjohnboy,
I'm confused... this one is replacing the "race for the race" thread?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 07:45 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
That makes me feel better.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 08:41 pm
@sozobe,
I think most of us collapsed that one because it had turned into something about, well, something or other.
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 08:45 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

I'm confused... this one is replacing the "race for the race" thread?

It is for me, Soz. I was damned proud of the "Race for the Race..." thread.
But it got so far off topic that I grew weary of it. I got my ears pinned back for objecting to the direction it had taken. Okay; any thread is fair game for drifting off the original topic, I guess, but page after page of "ancient" history...
So this thread, if you read my lead-in, is supposed to be more narrowly focused on the day-to-day activities of the messy political process.
The commentators thus far seem to understand that.
We have Michigan and Arizona on Feb 28th and Super Tuesday on March 6th. I hope to hear from A2K reporters on what you see where you are.
hingehead

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 08:47 pm
@roger,
Agreed. Let's try and stay on topic and refrain from partisan crud. Just as an experiment. We can go back to being partisan once the Republicans have a nominee.

Personally I think this has been turning point in American democracy on two counts - the polarisation within the conservative (not sure that's even the right word - maybe I should just say 'Right') side of politics is like a subset of the wider polarisation of the American electorate. And b) the Superpacs - what will be the fallout of the court decision to allow them an 'uncoordinated' role in the electoral process?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 09:35 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
on the eve of the convention, Romney will die of boredom, Gingrich will be in a body cast on life support after having been crushed by the weight of his own ego, Santorrum will be discovered to have had a long time homosexual affair (during which time he not only used condoms with his partner but procured him two abortions) and Paul will have been abducted by aliens

Romney is already dead
Gingrich can't be crushed by the weight of his ego. Similar to Rush Limbaugh, he loves himself too much.
Santorrum was discovered to be having the affair years ago, thus accounting for the odd color of John Boehner and often glazed look in his eyes.
I wish those aliens would hurry up and get here fast and depart with Paul, maybe take his alien son with him. Maybe take both houses with them as well.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 09:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Chris Christie
He is unavailable since his head got stuck up Romney's rear.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 09:37 pm
@Sturgis,
It was a wild guess on my part.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 09:44 am
The Michigan primary (held in a week) has tightened up pretty close:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/mi/michigan_republican_presidential_primary-1589.html

Santorum and Romney within the margin of error.

If Romney can manage to pull this out and win both Michigan and Arizona he'll probably clinch the whole thing up right here.

Cycloptichorn
revelette

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 09:59 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Despite the fact I don't have a dog in the race, I hope Romney gets the republican nomination over Santorum any day of the week for the simple reason in the event of what if Obama looses there is no way I would want Santorum as President. It would just be horrible, he would probably try to turn the whole country into his own version of a theological state.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 12:14 pm
I thought the Republican nomination process would have been over and done with by now, instead we have entertainment in the form of "Gaffe of the Day". My friends and I are betting as to whether the GOP will try to run this year on "God, Gays and Guns.' because apparently their prayers for a continuance of economic disaster haven't been answered by their Great and Glorious Holy God Almighty, Lord of Hosts (Inc.).

The best Romney can come up with lately is : Yes, the economy's improving, but, if I were President, it would improve faster. (Sure it would, catchy slogan, babe.)
And Santorum just keeps'em coming: Saturday, he said Obama had a false theology not based on the Bible and on the Sunday morning news talk shows tried to say that he wasn't questioning the President's faith. (Of course not.)

heh heh. I want this to go all the way to the Convention and have Sarah Palin involved somehow.

What do you think? God, Gays and Guns, Redux? or What?

Joe(Better than the funnies, except Doonesbury)Nation
djjd62

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 12:32 pm
@Joe Nation,
i'm firmly of the opinion that the GOP insiders threw the last election so they didn't have to deal with the economy, assuring themselves that 4 years later the country would be better off, but the economic woes would have so damaged Obama's presidency he would not be re-elected, of course they couldn't share this plan with the conservatives at large, who not knowing how their party had been so thoroughly defeated, immediately turned on each other, creating the divide we see in the party today
farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 12:35 pm
@Joe Nation,
I was overhearing Romney in Michigan. Doesnt he know how stupid he sounds?

"I love Michigan where all the trees are the right size and the lakes, I love the lakes and the water.....And I love cars.

Who writes this ****? One of our correspondents "High Seas" said she was working for one of the GOP hopefuls. She usually writes better than "I love cars"

Course, with Santorum lubing em up amd Newt already in aftershock mode, what hve we left to enjoy.

Im sure the GOP will turn out at the polls with an "Anybody but Obama" mentality
roger

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 12:45 pm
@djjd62,
There is something to be said for the theory. I certainly prefer not to remind anyone of McCain's proposal to deal with the housing/mortgage situation. I don't think we've come up with anything better, mind you, but it's always more fun to attack than defend.

As Che Guaverra discovered, it's easier to blow up trains than make them run on time.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 01:07 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

If you are a supporter of Romney, Santorum or Gingrich, you might be a bit pissed that some other candidate might ride in at the last minute to claim the nomination without having fought in the trenches.

Which is why it would never happen.

The last time a party convention had more than one round of ballotting for the presidential nomination was the Democratic convention in 1952. That was, in political terms, about a thousand years ago. So much has changed since then that comparisons are almost meaningless. Today, it would be virtually impossible for a candidate to emerge at the convention who had not been tested on the pre-convention campaign trail (for a historical example of that, we'd probably have to go back to the nineteenth century). For good or ill, therefore, the Republicans are stuck with the candidates they have right now.

As for candidates jumping into the race and entering some of the later primaries, there's almost no chance of that happening. I know that Bill Kristol and like-minded pundits maintain the conservative wet dream of "the man on a horse" riding to the rescue of the GOP, but it just ain't gonna' happen. If there was a candidate out there who would be interested in joining the race in its late stages, he or she would have already entered it in its early stages. Chris Christie and Jeb Bush and Mitch Daniels aren't suddenly going to change their minds about running just because they see what a train wreck the nomination process has become -- it was a train wreck long before now.
farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 01:13 pm
@joefromchicago,
Chris Christie is already signed up for Nathans hot dog eting contest in 2012
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 01:17 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
"High Seas" said she was working for one of the GOP hopefuls.

High Seas spouts a lot of BS, though.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 01:19 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

farmerman wrote:
"High Seas" said she was working for one of the GOP hopefuls.

High Seas spouts a lot of BS, though.

She was forwarding a perfectly ridiculous line the other day, arguing that Gingrich was well positioned to win, well, something, in the upcoming months.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies