Dr. Conrad Murray Found Guilty

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 03:44 pm
Well, the verdict just came in. Guilty of involuntary manslaughter. The judge would not let him be released until sentencing either. The judge said his behavior was wreckless and the community could be in harm's way. (Not his exact words). I am glad he is losing his license. No matter what, he never should have given Michael Jackson that propofol.

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 25,784 • Replies: 536

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 04:00 pm
I agree with the verdict.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 04:10 pm
@Arella Mae,
I think the jury heard all the evidence, which I didn't, so I assume they have it right. Unlike here, I gather verdicts in the US have to be unanimous.

But it must have been a tough thing being MJ's doctor.
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 04:14 pm
@spendius,
The one thing that could not be gotten around is "you don't give propofol outside of a hospital setting with emergency equipment available." No matter his reasoning for giving it to Michael he blew it.

I think the greed and prestige got to the Doctor. He sure seemed to love telling the women he was MJ's doctor.
Mame

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 04:16 pm
@Arella Mae,
So what does he get - a measly four years?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 04:20 pm
@Mame,
He loses his license, in at least two states.
Mame

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 04:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yeah, but jail time is maxed out at four years.
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 04:59 pm
@Mame,
Doesn't seem right, does it? At least he loses his license and I doubt he could ever get it back? Hope not!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 05:13 pm
The man practiced here for many years. The local TV news is running nothing but outrage over the conviction. Not one word in favor of it. The local ABC channel featured a legal expert who derided the trial, calling it a travesty, making doctors afraid to treat patients and so forth. He seems to think a "proper" court would have let Murray go free.
farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 05:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
hippocratic oath says otherwise.
The jury did the right thing
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 05:29 pm
@farmerman,
I agree. But, I checked two local stations and the coverage was the same on both.
fresco

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 05:31 pm
@farmerman,
Spot on ! There was an over-riding duty of care to the patient, not his money.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 05:47 pm
Yeah--but what does it mean? No tackles in the NFL it seems to me if you are to be consistent. Don't NFL muck-a-mucks have a duty to protect players? Was NASA reckless?

I think the verdict is right but ridiculous. You're all hysterical about being superior persons focussed on this one thing. Nothing like hand-wringing bleeding-hearts milking the udder of human kindness and compassion to bring a nation to its knees.

You lot are not the Americans I was brought up to admire. And that's for sure.

spendius

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 05:49 pm
@spendius,
Evolution theory you do not do.
spendius

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 06:05 pm
@spendius,
Mr Cooley is loving it. Just loving it. Wallowing in it.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 06:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
jury decisions are not popularity contests. Noone had all the facts as much as did the jurors. When the public disagrees, I always think that its easy to have an opinion when you havent sat in the jury box for 9 weeks
farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 06:17 pm
@spendius,
I beleive you are mixing your metaphors to an ever greater degree of ridiculousness
spendius

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 06:20 pm
@farmerman,
Granted. But there are larger issues here. Is this a legal precedent or does it just apply when there's a famous person involved. A sort of two-tier human condition.

How's the case of the mining accident going?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 06:23 pm
@farmerman,
Bullshit. You're on another udder milking session fm. You don't have the guts to be an evolutionist.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 07:38 pm
I watched (or at least listened to) nearly all of that trial. Every single medical expert said the same thing. He never should have given Michael that propofol in his home. He was totally negligent in doing so. There was absolutely no lifesaving equipment there and the doctor left his patient. He may have only left for two minutes (I'm not buying that) but in that two minutes a man died.

I think the status and the money got to him and he made a very bad decision. That decision cost him his license and he is now a felon. I think perhaps maybe other doctors should be thinking about whether some of the stuff they might be doing would be worth it.

I'm watching Nancy Grace. Now, it looks like there will be a civil suit.