Dr. Conrad Murray Found Guilty

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 04:07 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:
I specifically refer to the concept of "personal freedom" which I take to be premised on the assumption
that I exercise it with responsibility of not curtailing the well-being of others.
I can exercise my right to legally evict a tenant for non-payment of agreed rent.
THAT is inimical to his well being.
I can freely shoot a robber with my .44 revolver,
tho that is most detrimental indeed to his well being. (That is how I selected its calibration.)

fresco wrote:
Thus there is an argument that my freedom to get drunk (say) is not "a right"
if it impinges on my childrens' upbringing (say).
I have already agreed with u
that some rights exist with concomitant responsibilities; not all of them r so limited.

Many of the rights to personal freedom to which I have referred
have NO such attendant responsibilities.

David
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 04:15 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
MJ did not! He never had a clue and fully trusted Murray who is a physician by license.

I find that hard to believe. I think it is much more likely that MJ was something of an expert on such matters as these.

I asked why the FDA had not restricted the use of this drug. If all these A2Kers know how dangerous it is, admittedly with hindsight, then wasn't the FDA reckless? I don't actually know that the FDA hasn't restricted it. I read that it hadn't. My source may be wrong I'll admit. It was in Wiki's entry. Which it is difficult to believe MJ hadn't checked.

I don't think the prosecution should even have been brought. I think it was brought so a lot of people could be on TV and make a lot of money off it.

How's that judge going on who reversed Prop 8? And that one who sent the IMF Chief to Riker's on the unsupported evidence of an immigrant cleaning woman with a questionable history.
Linkat

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 04:24 pm
@spendius,
I'd highly doubt that MJ had 11 years or more of college education to become a medical doctor so doubtful he was an expert in such manners - perhaps in the use, but seeing he does not have the 11 plus years of medical education and years of practice you can not classify him as having the expertise in how and how much to administer this drug.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 04:51 pm
@spendius,
There is a doubt to YOU. There is not one to me nor the jury.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 04:55 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Thanks ed. That was kind of you.

Quote:
“Dr. Murray’s reckless conduct in this case poses a demonstrable risk to the safety of the public” if he remains free on bond, Judge Michael E. Pastor said.

He was kidding--right? What risk does Dr Murray pose to the public? He might have saved a lot of lives by drawing attention to the recreational use of the drug.

Seriously? The man is responsible for another man's death. What part of that don't you understand? He made an unethical decision which caused the DEATH of someone because of his unethical and illegal acts.

But, I'm sure he's a really nice guy!
spendius

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 05:43 pm
@Arella Mae,
I feel like I'm arguing with a bunch of little kids.

Did the FDA restrict the use of the 'milk of amnesia' or didn't it?

We sure are finding out who the witch hunters are on A2K. Get a man down and watch the fuckers bite. Live on A2K. Get the knife in girls. "A measly four years" one of them said. And then she wondered why I turned down an offer to meet her.
spendius

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 05:58 pm
@spendius,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuFQfiOKdds
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 05:59 pm
@spendius,
youd better quit while youre behind spendi. You are beginning to not make sense again.
Im sure youll protest with something half assed . However facts are what youve not gotten a grasp on.
spendius

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 06:08 pm
@farmerman,
I'm not protesting fm. Just explain what you mean is all I ask.

Why am I behind? What isn't making sense? What's half assed? What have I not got a grasp on? A few details to flesh out your idiotic assertions are required.

Would you like me to offer a few unsubstantiated assertions about yourself. I can do it if you want.
farmerman

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 06:14 pm
@spendius,
see what I mean folks?
Arella Mae

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 06:20 pm
@spendius,
What you are neglecting to see is this man commited a crime and someone died. In a court of law, it is the evidence and facts that determine the outcome. This is not about emotions or anyone wanting to kick anyone when they are down. You continually ignore that he admitted what he did. He is a cardiologist. He knew what he was doing was wrong but he chose to do it anyway. Those are the facts. Because of his actions MJ died that day. Sure, MJ might have died any other day without the doctor there but that does not negate the fact the doctor was wrong in what he did and MJ died.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 07:02 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

What do you think?[/color]

The jails in LA are so over crowded it's unlikely the guy will serve much jail time.
When Jackson was alive, the Doc was paid $150,000/month. With that kind of dough, does the Doc need to ever practice medicine again? No way.
Miller

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 07:05 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

I'm watching Nancy Grace.

Is she still dancing?
Arella Mae

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 07:15 pm
@Miller,
They are saying she's going to get voted off tonight. No telling I guess.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 07:16 pm
@spendius,
The law doesn't give a **** how special you and Michael think he was, in case you haven't noticed, prisons are full of special cases.
Miller

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 07:22 pm
@wayne,
wayne wrote:

... prisons are full of special cases.

Oh, so true. And then there are the lucky men with very rich wives who cart their naughty husbands home to freedom in France. Oh to be rich and sexy...
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 07:45 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
I asked why the FDA had not restricted the use of this drug.

Propofol is not a drug that is prescribed for use by patients. It is anesthesia, and, as such, it is only administered by physicians. The drug is intended for, and restricted to, it's use as an anesthesia/hypnotic for surgery and as sedation in certain cases (i.e. patients who are on ventilators and breathing by artificial means). It is not intended for the treatment of insomnia--that would be an "off label" use of the drug, meaning the FDA has not approved it for such use.

All general anesthesias, like Propofol, are "dangerous drugs" because they can have potentially life-threatening effects. That's why they are only administered by qualified physicians--anesthesiologists--in settings such as hospitals or surgical suites which are fully equipped with monitoring and resuscitation equipment so that the foreseeable adverse effects of such drugs, such as cessation of breathing, can be either prevented or immediately detected in order to immediately intervene and reverse such effects. The patient must be carefully monitored and observed at all times during administration of Propofol because the effects can be unpredictable and not always dose related. Other medical personnel should also be in the area to assist with treating any adverse reactions or resuscitation efforts.

If all of the above necessary safeguards are in place, Propofol is considered to be a relatively safe drug to use, and it is widely in use in both human and veterinary surgery.

Unfortunately, Dr. Murray not only administered the drug for an unapproved use, he departed from the acceptable medical standard of care for using this drug by having none of the necessary safeguards in place--he had inadequate monitoring equipment, virtually no resuscitation equipment, no other medical personnel available, and he left his patient unobserved and unattended when he left the room for 45 minutes.

In Dr. Murray's hands, Propofol was indeed a dangerous drug--it killed his patient. But that was due to Dr, Murray's criminal negligence regarding the conditions of administration of the drug.

firefly

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2011 07:58 pm
@Miller,
Quote:
The jails in LA are so over crowded it's unlikely the guy will serve much jail time.
When Jackson was alive, the Doc was paid $150,000/month. With that kind of dough, does the Doc need to ever practice medicine again? No way

Dr. Murray can be sent to a state prison rather than a crowded L.A. county jail. He could be sentenced for up to 4 years. If sentenced to more than a year, he might well go to a state prison. They'll make room for him.

Murray only treated Jackson for under two months. He never received any of the $150,000 per month that his contact with AEG promised him. He killed the golden goose too fast for that.

He may have made money from book or movie deals negotiated before his conviction. He appears in one documentary which will air on MSNBC this week, and he was likely paid for that.

But Michael Jackson's father has a pending wrongful death civil suit against Murray, which he will likely win, so he will attempt to go after all of Murray's assets--he's out for blood.

spendius

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 05:33 am
@firefly,
Was MJ using Propofol before Dr Murray began working for him?

How did the two men meet?

What does the Google entry mean by referring to recreational use of Propofol and particularly by off-duty anesthetists?

What does the Google entry mean be referring to priapism stimulation.

From those two references I imagine dosage is a factor. There's not much recreation or priapism in a person knocked out.

MJ's art is not available to people on three one-bag cups of tea a day.

I think the case is exclusively about money, preening and indignation freak-outs. Selected sophistries skilfully massaged into being by those with an interest in such things. Medical incompetence kills thousands. No money--no case.

A mountain of self-righteous hypocrisy.

It's microcosmic example of the general situation of the middle-class having grown so large that it can now only eat itself. The underclass have no more to give and the upper class is too cute.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 07:03 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
Dr. Murray can be sent to a state prison rather than a crowded L.A. county jail.
Are thay less crowded that California's jails ?

David
0 Replies