What's so wrong with being Gay?

FBM

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2015 05:38 am
@Ragman,
Ah. So THIS is where all the religious nutcakes have been hanging out. I've only read a few posts back, but it looks like at least one of them is a pedophile worshipper.
Below viewing threshold (view)
FBM

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2015 06:03 pm
@Miller,
If the medical community lists any of those as a disease, it will be based on evidence scientifically gathered and analyzed, then those with the disease will be given rational and humane treatments, based on the best available evidence.

Or we could choose the inhumane path, like you religious types, and drop moral judgment down from above, condemning and shaming them based on a collection of Bronze Age myths made up thousands of years ago by science-illiterate goat herders who believed in invisible beings with magical powers.

According to your own scriptures, your Jesus character didn't say one word about homosexuality, but he did say a lot about compassion and mercy. And yet here you are spouting hate, rejection and judgment. Think about that.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2015 06:26 pm
You religious types might want to curb your enthusiasm for punishing gays until you've checked yourself thoroughly: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/List_of_actions_prohibited_by_the_Bible

Quote:
List of actions prohibited by the Bible

Sexual acts
All of these used to merit death in ancient times, however with the destruction of the second Jewish temple the Jewish Sanhedrin courts all but abolished the death penalty. In Israel (where Judaic religious courts still exist), capital punishment is allowed only during wartime and only for genocide, crimes against humanity, war crimes, and treason.
Having homosexual intercourse between men (Leviticus 18:22, Leviticus 20:13)
Committing adultery between a man and a woman (Leviticus 20:10-12)
Lying about virginity (Deuteronomy 22:20-21)[3]
Being one of the majority of women that don’t bleed when losing your virginity (Deuteronomy 22:20-21)[4]
Being the daughter of a priest and practicing prostitution (Leviticus 21:9)[5]
Raping an engaged female virgin (Deuteronomy 22:25)[6]
If an engaged female virgin, being raped in a city (Deuteronomy 22:23-27)[7]
Being male and practicing bestiality (Leviticus 20:15)[8]
Being female and practicing bestiality (Leviticus 20:16)[8]
Having sex with your father’s wife (Leviticus 20:20)[9]
Having sex with your daughter-in-law (Leviticus 20:30)
Having incestual sex (Leviticus 20:17)
Marrying a woman and her daughter(Leviticus 20:14)[10]
Having sex with a woman who is menstruating (Leviticus 20:18)
A few of these crimes demand that the "sinners" be burned to death rather than stoned to death, the more usual form of capital punishment. One can wonder why these crimes in particular merit this especially horrible fate.[11]
[edit]Food and drink
Consuming blood (Genesis 9:4), Leviticus 17:10[12]
Eating a cheeseburger or anything that mixes meat and dairy (Exodus 23:19)
Sacrificing anything with yeast or honey (Leviticus 2:11)
Eating leavened bread (bread with yeast) during the Feast of Unleavened Bread (Exodus 12:15)
Eating fat (Leviticus 3:17)
Eating pork (Leviticus 11:7-8)
Waiting too long before consuming sacrifices (Leviticus 19:5-8)
Eating aquatic creatures lacking fins or scales (Deuteronomy 14:9-10)
Eating any meat not killed according to the Kosher practice (Deuteronomy 12:21)
Eating peace offerings while ritually unclean (Leviticus 7:20)
[edit]Religious
Being a male who is not circumcised. (Genesis 17:14)
Trying to convert people to another religion (Deuteronomy 13:1-11,
Deuteronomy 18:20)[13]
Worshiping idols (Exodus 22:20, Leviticus 20:1-5, Deuteronomy 17:2-7)
Practicing magic (Exodus 22:18)[14]
Blaspheming (Leviticus 24:14-16, 23)
Breaking the Sabbath (Exodus 31:14, Numbers 15:32-36)
Consulting a psychic or spiritualist (Leviticus 19:31)
Being a psychic, medium or spiritualist (Leviticus 20:27)[15]
Being a town that believes in another, non-YHWH god (Deuteronomy 13:12-15)[16]
Giving one of your descendants to Molech (Leviticus 20:2)[17]
Not being a priest and going near the tabernacle when it is being moved (Numbers 1:51)
Being a false prophet (Deuteronomy 13:5, Deuteronomy 18:20, Zechariah 13:2-3)
Performing any work on the Sabbath (Exodus 20:10)
Going to the temple in an unclean state (Numbers 19:13)
Engaging in ritual animal sacrifices other than at the temple (Leviticus 17:1-9)
Manufacturing anointing oil (Exodus 30:33)
[edit]Violent and legal crimes
Murdering a slave (Exodus 21:26-27)[18]
Kidnapping and selling a man (Exodus 21:16)
Perjuring yourself (in certain cases) (Deuteronomy 19:15-21)[19]
Ignoring the judgement of a judge or a priest (Deuteronomy 17:8-13)
Not constraining a known dangerous bull, if the bull subsequently kills a man or a woman (Exodus 21:29)[20]
[edit]Parenting
Striking your parents (Exodus 21:15)
Cursing your parents (Exodus 21:17, Leviticus 20:9)
Being a stubborn, rebellious, profligate, and drunkard son (Deuteronomy 21:18-21)[21]
[edit]Daily life
Planting more than one kind of seed in a field (Leviticus 19:19)
Wearing clothing woven of more than one kind of cloth (Leviticus 19:19)
Cutting the hair on the sides of your head or clipping of the edges of your beard (Leviticus 19:27)[22]
Touching the dead carcass of a pig (Deuteronomy 14:8)

Dressing across gender lines (Deuteronomy 22:5)
[edit]Things that don’t go anywhere else
Living in a city that failed to surrender to the Israelites. (Deuteronomy 20:12-14)[23]
[edit]New Testament

Although many — probably most — Christians maintain the New Testament ultimately served as an abrogation of the stricter forms and practices of the Mosaic Law, it did codify a few new prohibitions unstated in the text of the Old Testament.
Note that none of these are directly said by Jesus himself — indeed, as nobody was taking notes when Jesus was speaking we have no real way of knowing what Jesus may have said about these things, and all statements attributed to Jesus are ultimately inventions of the gospel writers.
However it is also worth noting that, notwithstanding certain episodes where he is claimed to have interpreted laws in a relaxed way (e.g., the Sabbath working law), Jesus did not explicitly say the old laws were now invalid, and dispensations from following them largely came as a result of the spread of Christianity to non-Jews by Paul of Tarsus. On the contrary, Jesus endorses Mosaic Law in Matthew 5:18 where he says: "For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished".[24]
[edit]Slaves
Disobedience (Ephesians 6:5).
[edit]Women
Speaking in church
(1 Corinthians 14:34-35).
Homosexual intercourse between women (Romans 1:27).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2015 06:41 pm
What the hell is a transvisite? Is that some kind of bizarre sexual fantasy of Miller/Foofie?
FBM

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2015 06:47 pm
@Setanta,
Maybe it means someone who visits someone of the opposite gender. Because we all know how bad that is.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2015 06:50 pm
That's why them Babdists is opposed to sex . . . it might lead to dancing.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2015 08:48 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

That's why them Babdists is opposed to sex . . . it might lead to dancing.

Now you have me frightened!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2015 10:05 pm
@RexDraconis111,
RexDraconis111 wrote:

Why are so many people homophobic? What do you have against a man loving another man or a woman loving another woman? Love is something that every person in this world feels or is capable of feeling. So what if that love happens to be directed at someone of the same gender? Big whoop.

Now I, myself am straight, but I support Gay Rights. Why? Because I was raised to be accepting of people who were different from me. Not only that, I also have homosexual relatives.

Speaking of which, I do understand that some people were raised to be intolerant of difference, but that explanation only goes so far.

Is this all merely an outward reaction to the insecurity (conscious OR subconscious) in one's own sexuality? Or is there something else to it?

Now, I'm gonna be honest here because I'm sure someone out there is gonna read this and start throwing bible passages in my face: I, not being religious, haven't taken the time to read the bible. But if you do start to throw bible passages in my face, I will verify your words. The internet is a vast encyclopedia of everything, including every version of the Holy Bible of the Christian faith. Just FYI.

So, again, will someone please explain their reasons behind their homophobia to me?

In one word, anthropology.

We have a built in system that was designed to keep the tribe cohesion. If a member of the tribe was ill or had some kind of problem it could endanger the entire tribe. So naturally the discrimination and judgement of every tribe member was necessary for our survival. The only problem now is we don't need this built in system so much yet it still lingers and we often use it to justify just about anything.

People with dyed colored hair, such as blue, green, yellow or bright red as being wrong, outcast them!

People with nose rings, lip piercings, tatoos as being wrong, outcast them!

There are so many ways social groups judge other people and essentially they are trying to prevent them from joining their social group because they don't display the "proper" requirements to join.

We do this with everything, business life, you have to dress a certain way, have your hair a certain way, talk a certain way and any time you deviate from these prescribed requirements then you run the risk of being ostracized ie. let go (fired).

Essentially you can only be an individual up to the point where it is too much of an individual. You must be unique like everyone else otherwise it's too much.

So when you have small pockets of people who don't interact with a whole lot of people outside their social group they tend to carry these prejudices. Also a lot of discrimination is passed down in family or groups. Chances are higher that if your entire family is racist, then you might be as well. There are occasions when this can not be the case and it usually happens if the person actually interacts with the race that the family is racist against.

So to make this even longer. Homophobia really has no legitimate reason to exist. It is irrational. How does a gay person impact your life in any way if you are not gay yourself? It doesn't yet people are irrational all the time. They try to find ways to justify their discrimination. And some of these people use the bible to do that even though they contradict themselves any time they do.

They often use the book of Leviticus as evidence but completely ignore all the other stuff you are not suppose to do, like wearing mixed fabrics. Or eating certain types of food. They cherry pick and ignore the rest. Or they are just parroting what their preacher or pastor tells them to say and are completely ignorant of what the rest of Leviticus has to say.
thack45

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2015 10:18 pm
I'll just put this here

http://images1.tickld.com/live/articles/pastor1_313c1ae5ad323a3ffb0e7281620dbd56.png
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2015 07:33 am
@Krumple,
Not so sure about how universal that is/was, Krump:

http://www.firstpeople.us/articles/the-two-spirit-people-of-indigenous-north-americans.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mukhannathun

I'd look for more examples, but I'm not going to.

0 Replies

FBM

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2015 08:10 am
One thing that I learned today from a N. Korean defector/refugee is how they tend to respond to the news that gays and lesbians exist. (They're imprisoned in NK and the regime denies that they exist, kinda like the way religious freaks in the West would have.) At first, of course, there's shock and disbelief. Then they find out the extent to which their basic human rights are so often and so severely deprived of them. At that moment, they identify with them and feel kinship. The defectors/refugees have lived that, so sympathy comes easy for them. To paraphrase: 'If we deserve human rights, why don't they? Why doesn't everybody?'
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2015 10:05 am
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/11234044_943463595703988_7452770541467107271_n.jpg
0 Replies

Musicman18

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2015 11:27 am
@RexDraconis111,
I actually have strong feelings for the same sex and I am a Christian. I believe that the initial attraction towards the same sex is not a choice, but what you do with those feelings is the key. You always have a choice whether or not to act upon feelings. You can choose to go out and date and have sex with members of the same sex. Or you can choose the path that I chose. The godly path. Yes it's hard. Yes I struggle everyday with my sexual attraction towards men, but I pray everyday that God gives me strength to not act upon my urges and follow him. You may not a choice of who you're attracted to, but you DO have a choice about what to do with those attractions. Just like a married man has a choice whether or not to cheat on his wife. He may see a beautiful woman and feel aroused. Doesn't mean he has to go have sex with her.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2015 12:40 pm
@Musicman18,
I pity you, I really do. You are homosexual and deny yourself the pleasure
of acting on your genetic disposition because your faith won't allow it.
Being a Christian doesn't mean you have to abstain from being with another person, just because it's a same sex relationship. This is something the ultra conservative so called bible fanatics have come up with and try to spread the word that you commit a sin if you act on your sexual preference.

Many so called Christians who live by the bible are the worst human beings there can be, neglecting the rights of others and others who think differently. If you really want to live your life by these standards, you'll be very very regretful and bitter in your later years.
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 07:49 am
@RexDraconis111,
Nothing's wrong with it. Even if the most devout religious person imaginable. Even then it's 1 of 613-622 commandments. And compared to murder, not observing the Sabbath, or adultery, insignificant.
0 Replies

diversers2

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 09:47 am
@Baldimo,
No its not people who dont agree with homosexuality are typically homophobic so yes he was right in that statement
0 Replies

momoends

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2015 02:55 am
@Desert Gyrfalcon,
hey one question: is it allowed in your culture that an adult man marries a fourteen years old girl?
0 Replies

momoends

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2015 03:10 am
@Desert Gyrfalcon,
statistically a 18% of world population share a sexuality different than heterosexual
world population: 7 325 968 656
18%: 1 318 674 358
muslim population: 26
considering i´ve travelled a lot and some of those countries included practice a so much tolerate muslim religion (including, morocco, jordania, turkey, indonesia ...) i would say you are the 20%

if numbers are considered compelling reasons...
0 Replies

momoends

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2015 03:30 am
@Desert Gyrfalcon,
are you referring to women as creatures???!!!
0 Replies