Do you hold long-standing grudges? Or forgive and forget?

George

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 04:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
Jeez, edgarbythe, that's friggin horrible.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 05:04 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
...I rather look at that as efficient management and not laziness...

Many people do. I, by contrast, am on a mission to assert that laziness is a virtue. To many people sing the praises of hard work just because their culture has brainwashed them into believing in hard work for its own sake. That's a topic for another thread, however.

One of my former bosses told me that the best way to get a problem solved quickly and easily is to assign it to a very smart lazy person. The solution will require minimal effort.

I've thought about that often. I think she was right.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2011 05:07 pm
Edgar, you emerged whole. And a person I admire greatly. For a lot of people with that history, you could easily have gone in a different direction. You are one strong man.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 01:58 pm
I feared to read people's responses, which is why I waited this long to look in on this thread. Glad I finally did. I could go on for pages about the old man's activities. But everybody already got the point. One might think I should be happy over how he died, but it cuts no ice with me. After we sneaked off to Texas, he opened up a restaurant. Closing for the night, all alone, he had a stroke. He lay there close to three days before he was found. He stayed in a hospital, paralyzed, for about a year or two. My oldest half brother and a cousin decided to go see him. They and another cousin tormented him. They talked in his presence, saying, "The old man will never get out of here" and the like. The old man would furiously give them the finger. Finally, he died.

Was it enough, the way he suffered at the end? Some would say yes. I say when his remains and memory are razed, maybe, a little. Can't make promises.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 02:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgar, that really sucks.

and I would never wish any of that crap on anyone.

but having endured that terrible abusive behavior, you have emerged all the more wonderful a person for the understanding it brought out in you.

I can't think of anyone I admire more...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 02:08 pm
Thanks, rock. I am mostly happy these days. He didn't win, despite the damage he did.
wandeljw

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 03:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
I was thinking that the experience led you to being the direct and forthright person that you are today, edgar.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 03:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
Ed, sorry to hear your siblings and you had to go through
that hell. As for forgiving, why should you?, as for forgetting,
how can you?.
But I think you did the best thing you could do which was to
rise above it and become the man you are today, an obviously
decent well meaning human being and I salute you for it Sir.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 03:56 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
ED, Judging by your taste in music anyway. Razz
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 04:00 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Some would disparage my favorite music. It's hard to get them to listen to Song Cycle, by Van Dyke Parks, for instance.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 04:01 pm
To the ones of you that have posted supporting statements, my heartfelt thanks.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 04:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
It's hard to get them to listen to Song Cycle, by Van Dyke Parks, for instance.

That's your dark side talking Ed. Razz
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 06:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
You made it, Edgar. Man, that last story makes a person cry. But, you made it, nothing else matters. You are a king!

Have you seen the movie, "Buck.?" One of Robert Redford's movies about authentic people like you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 06:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
I don't know if I posted a supporting statement, but I strongly support you. You have added immensely to my view of life, and the sides of it. Past that, I want to hold the child you were, and hug you now.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 06:44 pm
Osso and pen -
Despite my ranting, I am essentially happy. I've got my wife by my side and four grown children, of whom I am proud. Got my job and dog. Got friends. Got my writing projects. I just want a bit of payback where none is possible. Very Happy
George

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 06:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
Look at what you've just written.
You've made the old man look like a complete butthole
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 07:14 pm
@George,
I did not get into all of his objectionable qualities, by a long shot. But I see what you are implying.
George

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 07:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
Fitzgerald notwithstanding, living well may not be the best revenge,
but it's something.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 07:42 pm
@George,
It's a start.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 01:28 am
@edgarblythe,
I think you're an inspiration to us all mate. You should be very proud of yourself.