chai2

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 03:32 pm
I saw this photo amongst the Yahoo pop culture news this morning. I'm sure others saw it to.

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/bWT6.dAONCmULMwOdjTJ_A--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/152/2011/08/18/girlAmerican-Girl-in-Italy_231853.jpg

Here's the link to the story...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/american-girl-italy-60-years-later-221005987.html

Contrary to what the article tries to dispel, no matter how long I look at this photo, the creepitoid factor remains at 10 on a scale of 1-10.

In fact when I actually pay more attention to certain men in the photo, my feelings of violation, being fearful and shamed rises to 14.

The first paragraph of the article reads....

A stunning young woman walks down a street in Florence, her head held high. All around, men playfully gawk at her grace and beauty. Just then the camera shutter snaps. "American Girl in Italy" is among the most popular snapshots of all time, and it's turning 60 years old this month.

I see a woman who looks scared shitless and about to break into a run. The guy in the necktie to her left looks like he's grabbing his junk and saying something vile. The one next to him looks like he's already invading her space, and is going to in the next instant step forward and block her way.

On top of all this, they say it wasn't staged. Rolling Eyes

They look like a pack of hyenas looking to take down a stray gazelle.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 22,560 • Replies: 422

sozobe

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 03:38 pm
@chai2,
Can't believe I found it! Discussion I started about that photo EIGHT years ago:

http://able2know.org/topic/9126-1

Of course can discuss again, but thought I'd post.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 03:38 pm
@chai2,
You could not have stated it better and I agree with everything you said. She looks scared to death to me.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 04:17 pm
I'm with you Chai - that's just creepy.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 04:18 pm
@sozobe,
wow.
I only read through page 3 on that thread. Good stuff so far.

Funny how the comments there differ from the trite, cute comments being made on yahoo. Of course there's more time to think and write here, but all the comments I saw on yahoo were of the nature of "tee hee, how cute! I'd like to be stared at that way! How FUN!"

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 04:43 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Contrary to what the article tries to dispel, no matter how long I look at this photo, the creepitoid factor remains at 10 on a scale of 1-10.

In fact when I actually pay more attention to certain men in the photo, my feelings of violation, being fearful and shamed rises to 14.

I see a woman who looks scared shitless and about to break into a run. The guy in the necktie to her left looks like he's grabbing his junk and saying something vile. The one next to him looks like he's already invading her space, and is going to in the next instant step forward and block her way.

Gee, you came to that completely unwarranted conclusion, why, Chai; because you stopped at the first paragraph?

Can you say "projection"?

Quote:
In her "Today" appearance, Craig spoke about how, despite what some might say, the photo isn't a "symbol of harassment." Craig insists that the image is "a symbol of a woman having an absolutely wonderful time."

You guys are really sum'in else.

You want to see violation, fear, shame, degradation, rape, horror, packs of hyenas, ... .

Try,

American boys in the Philippines, 110 years later

American boys in Vietnam, 40 years later

American boys in {____}, [__} years later

Quote:
Was it staged? No! No, no, no! You don't have 15 men in a picture and take just two shots. The men were just there . . . . The only thing that happened was that Ruth Orkin was wise enough to ask me to turn around and go back and repeat" the walk down the street.

That's staged.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 04:53 pm
@JTT,
The look on that woman's face is not what I would call one of joy. Those guys all look like they are ready to jump her bones. Perhaps that is not the intent of the picture but that's what it appears like to me.
JTT

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 04:59 pm
@Arella Mae,
Read the accompanying article, Arella. Pictures, as everyone knows, can be highly misleading.

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 05:24 pm
@JTT,
Really? I know that! I basically said that! I said that may have been the intent but I don't see it. That doesn't make me wrong. It just makes my opinion other than yours.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 05:24 pm
JTT wrote:

Quote:
Was it staged? No! No, no, no! You don't have 15 men in a picture and take just two shots. The men were just there . . . . The only thing that happened was that Ruth Orkin was wise enough to ask me to turn around and go back and repeat" the walk down the street.

That's staged.

I agree. The second time would no longer be spontaneous. The subjects of the photo would figure out that the photographer was going after some effect.
JTT

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 05:37 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
The look on that woman's face is not what I would call one of joy.

That same woman disagrees.

Quote:
Those guys all look like they are ready to jump her bones. Perhaps that is not the intent of the picture but that's what it appears like to me.

That was hardly uncommon for the 50s. Hell, Bob Hope always took knockouts on his overseas tours specifically for the troops to ogle. I don't think he took them there just to remind the boys of their old school teachers.

hingehead

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 05:38 pm
@wandeljw,
I'm a bit of a loss about the 'staging' argument. For me this is not about Italy, the 50s, sexism or anything. It's an image. The image creates a creepy affect (projection it may well be - all art appreciation is). Do you dismiss a horror movie as 'not scary' because it's staged?

It could have been a lone <insert nationality> man walking through a <insert nation> women's wear store drawing that attention and it would still be creepy. (in fact I'm thinking of the 2.5 men episode with the witches coven).

People are strange.

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 05:43 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
The look on that woman's face is not what I would call one of joy.

The woman disagrees.

Quote:
Those guys all look like they are ready to jump her bones. Perhaps that is not the intent of the picture but that's what it appears like to me.

That was hardly uncommon for the 50s. Hell, Bob Hope always took knockouts on his overseas tours specifically for the troops to ogle. I don't think he took them there just to remind the boys of their old school teachers.

FINE! YOU CAN BE RIGHT! I GIVE UP THE RIGHT TO MY OPINION!
JTT

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 05:47 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella, please stop that. My opinion does not negate your feelings but that doesn't mean my opinion, or yours, or JW's or Hinghead's can't be expressed.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 05:51 pm
@JTT,
I expressed my opinion. Then you made it clear you thought I was wrong. I don't care if you think I'm wrong. That picture obviously looks a certain way to you and that's just fine by me.
JTT

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 05:59 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
I expressed my opinion. Then you made it clear you thought I was wrong.

Actually, I think you were, at least, partially right. Not so right with 'scared to death' but clearly you can make a case for not a face that's 'one of joy'.

I think she looks quite confident, like she isn't even aware there are men around her.

But that's only my opinion. I could be wrong about what was actually the case. Smile
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 06:09 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

I'm a bit of a loss about the 'staging' argument. For me this is not about Italy, the 50s, sexism or anything. It's an image. The image creates a creepy affect (projection it may well be - all art appreciation is). Do you dismiss a horror movie as 'not scary' because it's staged?

It could have been a lone <insert nationality> man walking through a <insert nation> women's wear store drawing that attention and it would still be creepy. (in fact I'm thinking of the 2.5 men episode with the witches coven).

People are strange.

Well, we know that in a horror film the intended effect is creepiness. The intention of the female photographer and the female model does not seem to have been to evoke creepiness.
hingehead

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 06:28 pm
@wandeljw,
Wouldn't be the first time that a viewer got something other than the artists intention. It seemed that several on this discussion and the much earlier one we're saying somehow that because it was staged it wasn't creepy. That argument doesn't fly for me.
chai2

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 06:48 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

Gee, you came to that completely unwarranted conclusion, why, Chai; because you stopped at the first paragraph?

Can you say "projection"?

Quote:
In her "Today" appearance, Craig spoke about how, despite what some might say, the photo isn't a "symbol of harassment." Craig insists that the image is "a symbol of a woman having an absolutely wonderful time."

You guys are really sum'in else.

You want to see violation, fear, shame, degradation, rape, horror, packs of hyenas, ... .

Try,

American boys in the Philippines, 110 years later

American boys in Vietnam, 40 years later

American boys in {____}, [__} years later

Quote:

That's staged.

Oh, sorry fuckwad, I thought people would be intelligent enough to click on the link, so mommy wouldn't have to cut and paste all those big words for you, then spoon feed them to you.
Apparantly it works for others providing the link.

As has been said, regardless of the intent, it looks creepy. You yourself just said you could be wrong, well, congratulations.

And yes, I am somthing else. Thanks for noticing.

Go ahead and do your ususal response, get it over with.

Doesn't matter, I clicked on this particular post above to take it off ignore, so I'm not going to have you read your crappy answer anyway. Have fun.
wandeljw

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 06:55 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:
Wouldn't be the first time that a viewer got something other than the artists intention. It seemed that several on this discussion and the much earlier one we're saying somehow that because it was staged it wasn't creepy. That argument doesn't fly for me.

The argument would go like this, if it is staged, the intent of the photographer and model becomes a factor. If a viewer reacts in a way that is different than what the photographer intended, the viewer's interpretation would more likely be a mistaken interpretation.