Thomas

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 11:13 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
Most offending men would never take it to the next level of physically confronting a woman, but, as most women can tell you, there are men who do take it to the next level.

I never disputed that. All I said is that modern women are projecting all this onto a picture that didn't originally contain it. I find that remarkable, since the original object of the looks has been fighting against the projection ever since.
JTT

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 11:18 am
@chai2,
Yeah, now let's get those guys in the picture and their male offspring too. Has anyone got the phone number handy for the Italian police?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 11:19 am
@chai2,
Oh, apart from the fact that we all know this is a photograph was planned/staged. In no particular order...

#1 It's been said several times that the woman in the photo has said she didn't feel threatened. Well of course not, she knew this was a a staged scene.

#2 I'm in agreement with Set, who said the woman Today is getting off on the attention to a photo of her 60 years ago. Tied in with the fact that this photo in the first place was not a candid shot, why shouldn't she say she was lovin' it. It's her chance today to show off that she's still in pretty good shape.

#3, and to me this is important.

In the same way that a woman can be called overcautious, paranoid, etc and is looking for danger where there is none, it can also be said that a woman, after the fact can say she never felt like she was in a dangerous situation, when in fact she indeed was.

Frankly, it is no one's business if someone thinks a woman is being overcautious. It's totally her right to be as cautious as she wants. I feel having the word feminist (gasp!) thrown out there as if it is an insult is a tool some men use to keep some women off balance. Especially young women who perhaps haven't gained the confidence of standing up for yourself, regardless of what others think.

I find it interesting that of the 4 (I think 4, off the top of my head) men that have defended this attitude that if a person preceives this picture as creepy, there's something wrong with them, 1 is a vile pervert that attempts to be manipulative of women, especially young ones, at every turn, and if a woman stands up to him, he snivels about feminism.
A 2nd man consistantly takes the opposing view of any topic, and is usually rude, insulting and quite dense.
The 3rd just always takes the opposing view, and just beats it into the ground until you just fall asleep from boredom.

Oh, and the 4th, who is now bring up the term hysterics, which is, I suppose, supposed to make the other person act hysterical, defending themselves, when, in reality the subject, in this case me, is really feeling quite calm and composed.

Yeah, call her a feminist, call her hysterical, call her, oh I don't even know what. That'll get her riled.

Sorry, no it doesn't.
Now, if one equates wordiness with hysteria or feminism, or being riled, that's their problem. It's also their perception, which I'm told, does not make it true.
Yeah, I'm wordy, always have been. So? Hysterical I'm not.

Because someone, man or woman says they did not feel they were in a creepy, dangerous situation, does not mean they weren't. It can mean they were unaware, or worse, denying.

Green Witch

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 11:27 am
@Thomas,
My comments were not just directed at you, Thomas. I know you didn't dispute that point. I was just focusing on the theme of the photo and how most women would view it without any background information on how it was taken or why.
Thomas

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 11:43 am
@Green Witch,
Oh, ok. I actually agree with you then.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 11:48 am
@chai2,
What chai said!
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 12:11 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

What chai said!
chai talking **** about all those who don't agree with her is SO charming....
Arella Mae

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 12:13 pm
@hawkeye10,
Well now, isn't that the perverbial kettle calling the pot black? Go join Bill. I want nothing to do with you either.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 12:18 pm
Chai wrote:
Yeah, call her a feminist, call her hysterical, call her, oh I don't even know what. That'll get her riled.

Hysterical was not a reference to your reaction to the photo.

As far as your reaction to the photo, I criticized your characterization of the woman as "scared shitless" to be an exaggeration.
chai2

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 12:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Arella Mae wrote:

What chai said!
chai talking **** about all those who don't agree with her is SO charming....

Thanks for supplying that example chickenhawk.

What exactly is that supposed to prove?

That I'm supposed to be charming? Nuts to that.
You're not charming, but who's counting.

That I'm talking **** because it doesn't represent your ideas?

Sorry babe, but you're in way over your head with me perv.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 12:25 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

Chai wrote:

Hysterical was not a reference to your reaction to the photo.

As far as your reaction to the photo, I criticized your characterization of the woman as "scared shitless" to be an exaggeration.

You said, and this is the full post....

I can not match your hysterics or Setanta's hysterics.

Regardless of what you said about my characterization of the woman, you are stating her I'm involved in some sort of hysterics.

Which, is false.

How do I know it's false?

Because I said it.

wandeljw

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 12:38 pm
@chai2,
I made that remark after you said that you agree with Setanta about my consideration for your feelings This is what you agreed with:

Setanta wrote:

wandeljw wrote:
It occurred to me that Chai and Arella's reactions may be connected to unfortunate personal experiences in their own past. I do not want to devalue their honest personal feelings.

That was a really shitty, patronizing thing to have said. Congratulations, Bubba . . .
chai2

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 12:44 pm
@wandeljw,
Yes, I remember. And it was a shitty and patronizing/condecending this to day.
You went on to describe his and my response as hysterics.
wandeljw

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 01:02 pm
@chai2,
If you are serious, I was wrong to say "hysterical." Now, I find your reaction to be sad.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 01:13 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

If you are serious, I was wrong to say "hysterical." Now, I find your reaction to be sad.
obviously someone pissed in her Cherios this morning....either that or it is time for a med ajustment.....
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 01:15 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

Yes, I am being dead serious.

You called me hysterical. I took offense at that.

It's your issue how you felt about that.
Apparantly all this time you thought I was joking. Even so far as to say "that was fun, let's do it again."

I didn't find it fun, or amusing.

Women have to tolerate enough bullshit to make it into a joking matter. Reducing women to be an object to be stared at like slaves on the block, or an animal being judged for the amount of meat it can provide, is disgusting. To cover up that behavior by saying it's all for the sake of beauty, is sick.

So, the more beauty a woman (or man) has, the more willing he or she has to be to open leers?
Makes a person wish to have a slight deformity that takes the edge off their beauty, so they be simply looked at as a person.
Thomas

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 01:26 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Makes a person wish to have a slight deformity that takes the edge off their beauty, so they be simply looked at as a person.

Being an obese hobbit myself, I concur. Most people, male or female, take me for who I am rather than for how I look. On balance, I recommend the experience. (Not that that was your point.)
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 01:42 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

wandeljw wrote:

Yes, I am being dead serious.

You called me hysterical. I took offense at that.

It's your issue how you felt about that.
Apparantly all this time you thought I was joking. Even so far as to say "that was fun, let's do it again."

I didn't find it fun, or amusing.

Women have to tolerate enough bullshit to make it into a joking matter. Reducing women to be an object to be stared at like slaves on the block, or an animal being judged for the amount of meat it can provide, is disgusting. To cover up that behavior by saying it's all for the sake of beauty, is sick.

So, the more beauty a woman (or man) has, the more willing he or she has to be to open leers?

Again, you are misapplying my "hysterical" remark.

I am shocked that you find it shitty and patronizing for me to be concerned about your feelings. I specifically said I was concerned because you may have had a bad experience that the photo reminded you of. Greenwitch stated that many women have had scary experiences with men and this is why they react to the photo in a negative way. That is EXACTLY what my concern was about. Stop twisting my concern into shitty or patronizing.
DrewDad

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 01:51 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:
Hingehead and I agree that your "scared shitless" remark is an exaggeration.

You need to start adding things like, "in my opinion," because you really do come across as patronizing.

Whatever you and Hingehead may agree on, it does not dictate reality for the rest of the Universe.
DrewDad

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 01:56 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-nzlGEUb2SP0/Tk-8O_VnkHI/AAAAAAAAAmk/NjNdOrVsvfU/s800/ni_z1151.jpg

A wonderful time?

Don't people usually smile when they're enjoying themselves?