joefromchicago

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 05:51 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
1. He indicates that his interpretation is free of bias (implying that anyone who disagrees with him is biased).

No, he's simply setting out his position that the creator's intent is a better gauge for interpreting a work than the observer's purely subjective view. It's not that anyone who disagrees with him is biased, it's that anyone who views a work that s/he did not create is necessarily biased. I'm sure that many people who wandeljw would consider "biased" in this fashion actually agree with him.

DrewDad wrote:
2. He specifies that he's being "clinical" and that others are being "emotional."

Yeah. So what?

DrewDad wrote:
3. He categorizes any experiences that causes someone to disagree with him as "unfortunate."

That's just laughably wrong. Any experience? He talks about two people and their experiences. How do you get a universal statement out of that?

DrewDad wrote:
4. He doesn't want to "devalue their honest personal feelings" while making it clear that he does not value their honest artistic interpretation.

That's simply not worthy of credence. You really have to want to be offended to be offended by this.

DrewDad wrote:
But credit me with being honest, and having a solid basis for how I see things.

Nope. Your interpretation is inherently dishonest.
Mame

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 06:00 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

1. He indicates that his interpretation is free of bias (implying that anyone who disagrees with him is biased).

He never once said that. Show me the indications you're referring to.

2. He specifies that he's being "clinical" and that others are being "emotional."

He never said or implied that either, DD.

3. He categorizes any experiences that causes someone to disagree with him as "unfortunate."

That really is a stretch. That's sinking to a new low. Sorry, but it's not even worth discussing.

4. He doesn't want to "devalue their honest personal feelings" while making it clear that he does not value their honest artistic interpretation.

Artistic interpretations are a lot different than their honest personal feelings. They weren't discussing the former, but they were the latter. GMAB.

If you see it differently, that's your prerogative. But credit me with being honest, and having a solid basis for how I see things.

No, I think your thinking and logic is skewed. How honest have you been with me? Not too honest. You've been hiding behind words and implications. And you've never answered my question about whether you could have completely misunderstood him. I ask you now, do you think it's a possibility that you could have completely misread/misunderstood him?
DrewDad

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 07:10 pm
@Mame,
I already answered that question. I see no point in giving you another opportunity to ignore my words and call me dishonest.
JTT

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 07:13 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
I already answered that question.

Just give a few keys words from your response, will ya, DD?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 07:24 pm
@DrewDad,
That's not what I'm about (calling you dishonest). If I've missed it, please tell me where to find it.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 07:30 pm
@Mame,
Mame, I quoted Wandel in my original post. I'll do so again, here, as a courtesy.

Mame wrote:

DrewDad wrote:

Here you go:
wandeljw wrote:
The slice of life interpretation does not impose elements that come from a peculiar bias.

Since Wandel is the one promoting the "slice of life interpretation," he's saying that his interpretation does not have a "peculiar bias." The obvious inference is that other views do have "peculiar bias[es]."

Mame wrote:

DrewDad wrote:

OK, here you go again:

wandeljw wrote:
(sorry for taking a "clinical" rather than emotional view)

Again, Wandel states that his is a "clinical" view, as opposed to an emotional view.

Mame wrote:

DrewDad wrote:

That really is a stretch. That's sinking to a new low. Sorry, but it's not even worth discussing.

I can see why you wouldn't want to discuss it:

wandeljw wrote:

It occurred to me that Chai and Arella's reactions may be connected to unfortunate personal experiences in their own past. I do not want to devalue their honest personal feelings.

Mame wrote:

DrewDad wrote:

Artistic interpretations are a lot different than their honest personal feelings. They weren't discussing the former, but they were the latter. GMAB.

No, they (Chai and Arella) were not discussing how their personal experiences affected their interpretation of the photo. Wandel brought up their experiences, and feelings, and the implication was that their "unfortunate personal experiences" make them unsuited to performing a "clinical" analysis of the art.

Really, are we reading the same thread?
Mame

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 07:54 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Mame, I quoted Wandel in my original post. I'll do so again, here, as a courtesy.

Mame wrote:

DrewDad wrote:

Here you go:
wandeljw wrote:
The slice of life interpretation does not impose elements that come from a peculiar bias.

Since Wandel is the one promoting the "slice of life interpretation," he's saying that his interpretation does not have a "peculiar bias." The obvious inference is that other views do have "peculiar bias[es]."

Okay, I'm not getting this at all. I'll have to go back (damn it) and read it over. But I doubt you're getting his correct inference - your 'obvious' is not 'obvious' to me.

Mame wrote:

DrewDad wrote:

OK, here you go again:

wandeljw wrote:
(sorry for taking a "clinical" rather than emotional view)

Again, Wandel states that his is a "clinical" view, as opposed to an emotional view.

What I got out of that is that HE'S being clinical rather than emotional and it doesn't pertain to anyone else's view. See how we can easily misread things?

Mame wrote:

DrewDad wrote:

I can see why you wouldn't want to discuss it:

wandeljw wrote:

It occurred to me that Chai and Arella's reactions may be connected to unfortunate personal experiences in their own past. I do not want to devalue their honest personal feelings.

Wait a sec - "He categorizes any experiences that causes someone to disagree with him as "unfortunate." Where the hell did you get that? You have not been listening to any viewpoint other than your own. You know what that says to me? You're as close-/narrow-minded as you accuse him of being. WHAT IF THAT WAS NOT WHAT HE MEANT???????

Mame wrote:

DrewDad wrote:

No, they (Chai and Arella) were not discussing how their personal experiences affected their interpretation of the photo. Wandel brought up their experiences, and feelings, and the implication was that their "unfortunate personal experiences" make them unsuited to performing a "clinical" analysis of the art.

NO... he offered the SUGGESTION that past incidences helped colour their view of this photo - which I think is pretty insightful. The fact that their past may NOT have impacted their view is another story... but it COULD have. And likely with most of us, it WOULD have...depending on the photo, the situation, the person, etc. My past impacted my view of that photo. But if your name is DrewDad, nothing from the past would impact the present or future, right?

Really, are we reading the same thread?

Yeah, but we're talking different languages.
roger

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 08:09 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

That's simply not worthy of credence. You really have to want to be offended to be offended by this.

But some people do want to be offended. Some people even take pride in how long they can stay mad, and carry a grudge.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 08:31 pm
@Mame,
As I've said repeatedly, you're entitled to your opinion and interpretation. A courtesy, I note, that has not been extended to me. Instead, I have been accused multiple times of being dishonest.

I think that I have exhausted my store of patience for the evening. Good night.

Mame

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 08:59 pm
@DrewDad,
I have never called you dishonest. Ever. I say you misinterpreted his words, judged him, attacked him, and then refused to listen to any other view. Which is worse? You decide.
JTT

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 09:05 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
I think that I have exhausted my store of patience for the evening.

Shovelin' bullshit is tough even when you do it right, DD; it's especially wearyin' to a body, and a soul, when all you do is just keep movin' the same pile around.

I know, I know, Mame.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 09:29 pm
This article appeared in an ESL thread.

Quote:

Fudge Factor: A Look at a Harvard Science Fraud Case
Did Marc Hauser know what he was doing?

Hauser has admitted to committing “significant mistakes.” In observing the reactions of my colleagues to Hauser’s shocking comeuppance, I have been surprised at how many assume reflexively that his misbehavior must have been deliberate. For example, University of Maryland physicist Robert L. Park wrote in a Web column that Hauser “fudged his experiments.” I don’t think we can be so sure. It’s entirely possible that Hauser was swayed by “confirmation bias”—the tendency to look for and perceive evidence consistent with our hypotheses and to deny, dismiss or distort evidence that is not.

The past few decades of research in cognitive, social and clinical psychology suggest that confirmation bias may be far more common than most of us realize. Even the best and the brightest scientists can be swayed by it, especially when they are deeply invested in their own hypotheses and the data are ambiguous. A baseball manager doesn’t argue with the umpire when the call is clear-cut—only when it is close.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=fudge-factor
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 09:57 pm
@Mame,
I wasn't speaking only of you, but yes, you called me dishonest.

Mame wrote:

I have never called you dishonest. Ever.

http://able2know.org/topic/176187-21#post-4712551

Mame wrote:
How honest have you been with me? Not too honest.

http://able2know.org/topic/176187-21#post-4712548

joefromchicago wrote:
Your interpretation is inherently dishonest.

Mame

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 12:08 am
@DrewDad,
you took that waaaay out of context and that tells me that you're stretching your limits..

You:
If you see it differently, that's your prerogative. But credit me with being honest, and having a solid basis for how I see things.

Me:
No, I think your thinking and logic is skewed. How honest have you been with me? Not too honest. You've been hiding behind words and implications. And you've never answered my question about whether you could have completely misunderstood him. I ask you now, do you think it's a possibility that you could have completely misread/misunderstood him?

Please add more as you see fit, but unless it's the second coming of Christ, I'm not all that into it anymore. Same old, same old... you know how it goes.
DrewDad

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 12:35 am
@Mame,
No, you're definitely not the second coming.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 08:29 am
@Mame,
Having thought about this some, I think this is an example of cognitive dissonance.

Confronted with evidence that contradicts your internal world view ("Mame would not be inappropriate enough to call someone dishonest"), you've decided that somehow I'm to blame for misinterpreting what you said rather than facing the fact that you did, in fact, accuse me of dishonesty.
JTT

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 08:31 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
Having thought about this some, I think this is an example of cognitive dissonance.

Finally, you're coming to your senses, DrewDad. Welcome back, Son.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 08:37 am
Have we ever had a more anal retentive thread than this one?
wandeljw

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 08:44 am
@JPB,
I would say that the wisest person on this thread was sozobe. She only posted once and then left immediately.
DrewDad

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 09:21 am
@wandeljw,
At last, something upon which we can agree.
0 Replies