Rioting spreading through London & to other English cities.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 03:08 pm
@izzythepush,
No.

I've agreed with hawkeye for seconds, sometimes minutes, at a time once a year or so. I don't wish him ill when I find him off base again, except once in a while. I fully get it that people think I'm loony as a lark on my comments re happenings in the world. That's the way of it.

I'm a confuser here, in that I sometime thumb up those who made good arguments I disagree with. Brat.

I don't really want everyone all over to agree about everything.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 03:14 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't wish him ill, but if there's a dead mouse in his head, it would explain a great deal.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 04:42 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
You're not a devotee of Ludd perchance?

I have a sentimental leaning in that direction but I'm a sinner too. It's a difficult question.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 04:47 pm
@spendius,
Of course you would, you deny the reality of evolution. How much easier to deny the value of technology.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 04:51 pm
@spendius,
We all pine for the days when you could spend the day at the fair, have a fish and chip supper and get blind drunk for half a crown.

Seriously though, the concept of putting the Media on trial wouldn't make a not half, decent, bad play perhaps for the Edinburgh Fringe, maybe.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 04:53 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Of course you would, you deny the reality of evolution. How much easier to deny the value of technology.

Finn's mouse is alive and well. Hooray!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 04:53 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
We're not talking about evolution, for once. Get a grip. Keep up. We are talking about luddite-ness, a place where some of us who disagree can intersect with humor, but no, you have to sarcasm away.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 04:59 pm
@ossobuco,
I responded in articular to spendius, not what you insist your little group is 'talking about.'

I am quite confident spendi doesn't need your gratutious defense.

If I so irritate you that you can not resist scolding me, I suggest you employ the "ignore' feature.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 05:02 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

If I so irritate you that you can not resist scolding me, I suggest you employ the "ignore' feature.

I could never ignore you Finn. You're far too important, what with your big antlers and everything.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 05:04 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

From what I understand from Spendius is that he does not deny it but rather wants to deny it to others!
msolga

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 08:37 pm
Quote:
Revealed: the full picture of sentences handed down to rioters
# Guardian.co.uk, Thursday 18 August 2011 21.23 BST

Exclusive: Guardian data confirms courts opt for tougher punishments, and shows the demographic of those charged

Data: the full list of cases and convictions so far

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2011/8/18/1313700927638/Young-inmate-in-a-prison--007.jpg
Young inmate in a prison cell at Portland young offenders institution. A Ministry of Justice spokeswoman said there were enough places for those being sent to prison. Photograph: Paul Doyle/Alamy

The courts are handing down prison sentences to convicted rioters that are on average 25% longer than normal, according to an exclusive Guardian analysis of 1,000 riot-related cases dealt with so far by magistrates.

The data proves for the first time that the handful of high-profile individual cases – including a four-year sentence for inciting disorder on Facebook – are indicative of a more punitive general trend.

This unprecedented access to national court results reveals that 70% of defendants have been remanded in custody to await crown court trial, fuelling a surge in the prison population, which reached a record high of 86,608 in England and Wales. The Guardian's data also shows that 56 defendants of the 80 who have already been sentenced by magistrates were given immediate prison terms. This 70% rate of imprisonment compares with a "normal" rate of just 2% in magistrates courts.

More than half those imprisoned were charged with theft or handling stolen goods, receiving an average of 5.1 months. This is 25% longer than the average custodial sentence for these crimes of 4.1 months seen in courts during 2010, according to Ministry of Justice statistics. Public order offences are leading to sentences 33% longer than normal and those convicted of assaulting police officers have been jailed for 40% longer than usual.

The results reflect the limited sentencing powers of the magistrates courts, which cannot pass a sentence of more than six months for an individual offence. The Guardian analysis shows that the average prison sentence handed out by the magistrates to rioters so far is five months. This is double the usual prison sentence in the magistrates courts of 2.5 months, but that average includes many other more minor offences, including motoring offences.

Prison governors said that the huge 677-strong rise in jail numbers over the last week sparked by this more punitive approach had pitched the prison system into "an unprecedented situation". Emergency measures had been agreed with Prison Service chiefs in case the rapid rise in inmate numbers continued unabated over the next fortnight.

The Prison Governors Association said medium- to long-term measures included opening enough new and refurbished jail accommodation to avoid the normal emergency measure of using police cells.

The governors said they were confident the situation could be managed safely.

The record prison numbers are putting jails and young offender institutions under increasing pressure: there are only 1,485 spare places in the system before prison governors have to put out the "jail full" signs. ...<cont>

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/18/full-picture-of-riot-sentences
msolga

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 10:38 pm
@msolga,
Related article:

Quote:
UK riots: the list of magistrate cases and convictions so far
Who is ending up in the magistrates courts accused of riot-related offences? Now includes around 500 cases

• Get the data

• Mapped: the riots and where suspected rioters lived

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/aug/11/uk-riots-magistrates-court-list#data
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 11:03 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Says the supremo scold, the Finn.

I occasionally agree with one or the other of you two, and mostly like you both of you for fairly good writing.

I'll agree Spendius doesn't need defense from me, but it still might give him a glimmer of glee if I do that.

We were talking about luddicity.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 04:40 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
From what I understand from Spendius is that he does not deny it but rather wants to deny it to others!

Schoolchildren rl. They are denied many other aspects of knowledge. The US has proscribed books and films etc. It has its "Index".

Quote:
16: Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Epistle to the Galatians.

Are you content that we are all to be justified by the law only? If you are then you support Kim Il-sung, Gadaffi and Assad. A catholic system is one which can embrace the world.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 07:08 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Schoolchildren rl. They are denied many other aspects of knowledge. The US has proscribed books and films etc. It has its "Index".

So to teach them a lie is good for them?

Quote:
16: Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Epistle to the Galatians.

You being an atheist find value in this?

Quote:
Are you content that we are all to be justified by the law only?

Laws are not much good if they are not ethical!

Quote:
If you are then you support Kim Il-sung, Gadaffi and Assad

No!

Quote:
A catholic system is one which can embrace the world.

In a crooked way?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 02:49 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Laws are not much good if they are not ethical!

Ethics is a measure of individual morality. Jurisprudence is at best a close fit. People complain about laws being wrong all the time, unless everybody starts thinking the same this will continue. Om Sig David and I both think each others laws, re gun ownership are immoral.
spendius

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 04:20 am
@izzythepush,
David is just talking up his "I'm a tough guy" image.

And I'm at a loss as to what to say about rl's infantile post.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 05:44 am
@spendius,
Maybe you could explain the difference between Catholic and catholic, because I don't think he gets it.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 07:24 am
@spendius,
Quote:
And I'm at a loss as to what to say about rl's infantile post.

I would not expect you to understand how the least among Christians think but I will not give up hope on you!
spendius

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 12:06 pm
@reasoning logic,
How nice for me.