Rioting spreading through London & to other English cities.

hingehead

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 05:30 pm
@Izzie,
It's my understanding as well Izzie that the english prison system is already bursting at the seams.
Izzie

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 05:39 pm
@hingehead,
It is indeed, HH.

We were pretty full to brim already - which is why Cameron wished to bring in law for cutting sentences to half "if they admitted their crime" (months ago) The UK was livid about this - actually, that's prolly the understatement of the year - hopping mad we were!!!

The argument was from the government that we cannot house all the criminals, have run out of space and need to move people back out into society. The argument was - well, how many probabtion officers do we have - how many reformed (after cutting half the sentence) will have half-way housing to go into. We don't have enough right now. Our penal system is stretched to be capacity and we have prison workers picketing not so long about re poor pay.

Now, he want to fills more prisons... some of those kids are gonna come out a lot worse than they go in. Some will not receive the help they need for other issues in their life - and the whole vicious cycle begins again. Some will join gangs in the prisons and have to learn to survive to a worse way than is on the streets.

I don't get it.

I understand the outrage the UK has - I do - but this is not the answer. It's already causing unrest.

Cameron doesn't think before he speaks. Did you speak his speech - all the words of fighting back and this and that... and then Ed Milibands speech which was far more compsed and actually (taking out the political pot-shots) made far more sense.

David got caught on the hop - and he's acting on the hop.

If I were Sir Hugh - I'd be a little pissed too.

What a mess.

Need to sleep now - my spelling is going kaput... G'nite all - I hope you continue to debate - I am learning a lot about other peoples takes on all this. Thank you, G'nite x
izzythepush

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 05:44 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

This is the bit I wrote after the quotation:

The parents have felt disempowered by the very social planning intended to help their children.

You also wrote the following.

Quote:
Whether recent immigrants or members of British families stretching back across the centuries there are no inherent flaws in UK parents. Social programs designed to make their lives somehow better have stripped many of them of any real sense of personal responsibilty and without that, how can they convey the same virtue to their children?

You are saying that the reason thatr these people have no sense of personal responsibility is because of certain programmes. That is what I am taking issue with.

More importantly I'm taking issue with the fact that you're so slow witted, this has to be pointed out to you. It's very tedious having to constantly explain things to someone so slow off the mark. I thought Hawkeye was bad enough, I never imagined you would be so much worse. You don't understand puns, you can't see that the words 'Goofy' and 'Disney' could be connected. I'm still waiting for your response re Game of Thrones. I feel like Blackadder talking to Baldrick.
Izzie

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 05:47 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I feel like Blackadder talking to Baldrick.

ha, I spat my tea! Razz What a mental picture. I shall be chuckling all the way to bed now. G'nite Boy'Iz Wink

reasoning logic

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 05:49 pm
@Izzie,
It seems as you have the same greed that runs your country as we do.
I think that it helps us to add research work to our frame of reference so that we may have a better understanding of reality!

The surprising truth about what motivates us.

izzythepush

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 05:56 pm
@Izzie,
Now watch him respond with another vacuous comment.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 05:56 pm
@Izzie,
What chance has he got of understanding that?
Izzie

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 06:01 pm
@reasoning logic,
sorry, you've lost me completely RL ...

I'm not sure what that had to do with what HH and I were discussing... but... carry on... I'm way too tired to even try and figure it out - blech!

msolga

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 06:02 pm
@Izzie,
A few pages back I asked where were the Lib-Dems in all this?
They seemed remarkably quiet during the riots.

But (following Cameron's tough talking speech ) they appear to have found their voices again. Finally.
I noticed Nick Clegg spoke out against Cameron's "knee jerk" reactions yesterday & more from them today ...

It's sounding, from a long way away, that as the Tories have become tougher & more repressive in response to the rioters, the Lib-Dems are moving back to a more Liberal political position, distancing themselves.

Just curious what you guys think. Is there in fact a serious rift developing within the coalition government, as this article suggests? Or is this more about the Lib-Dems attempting to regain some credibility?
Do you think the "rift" is serious enough to undermine the ability of the coalition's ability to govern effectively?

Quote:

Riot sentence rift opens between Liberal Democrats and Conservatives

guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 17 August 2011 21.00 BST

Lib Dem peers warn of 'loss of proportion' and Simon Hughes calls for 'relative leniency on first-time offenders'

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/About/General/2011/8/17/1313609385549/riot-sentences-too-harsh--007.jpg
Rioters convicted of first-time offences deserve leniency, says Simon Hughes, deputy leader of the Lib Dems. Photograph: Sarah Lee

Two of the most significant figures in the British legal establishment have made urgent warnings about tough sentencing for riot-related offences as the split in the coalition over the response to last week's violence dramatically widened.

Lord Macdonald, who led the prosecution service in England and Wales for five years, warned that the courts risked being swept up in a "collective loss of proportion", passing jail terms that lack "humanity or justice".

Meanwhile his fellow Liberal Democrat peer Lord Carlile, the barrister who was until this year the government's independent adviser on terrorism strategy, warned against ministerial interference in the judicial process, arguing that "just filling up prisons" would not prevent future problems.

David Cameron, who last week promised severe punishments for rioters, saying he hoped courts would use "exemplary" sentences to deter future riots, praised the sentencing decisions, which have included two jailed for four years each for inciting riots on Facebook – riots that never took place – and one person sent to prison for six months for stealing £3.50 worth of water.

Asked about the Facebook case, the prime minister said: "They decided in that court to send a tough message and I think it's very good that courts are able to do that."

But Carlile suggested the sacrosanct separation of powers between the government and the judiciary was being put at risk by comments from some ministers. He told the Guardian: "I don't think it's helpful for ministers to appear to be giving a steer to judges. The judges in criminal courts are mostly extremely experienced and well capable of making the decisions themselves. Ministers should focus on securing the safety of the public."

Asked if ministers had overstepped the mark, he said: "Some judges may feel that and some ministers may feel that they have had a responsibility to use the language of sentences rather than policy."

Macdonald told the Guardian: "Some of the offences that have been committed are exceptionally serious and they require grave punishment, and the sentencing guidelines cater for this. But we are also seeing exceptional punishment for opportunistic offences that appear, on the face of it, to be less serious. Coupled with the threat to remove benefits and to evict the families of rioters from their homes, we are seeing a response that risks becoming excessive and contrary to the norms of justice.

"I think it's essential that the courts don't become swept up in a collective loss of proportion. There is a difference between a sentence that deters and a sentence that lacks humanity or justice. Nothing could be more destructive to social harmony than criminal sentencing which is ill-judged and unfair."...<cont>

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/17/riots-sentence-liberal-democrats-conservatives
Izzie

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 06:03 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

What chance has he got of understanding that?

Chucking, little to none I would imagine!!!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 06:04 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
It seems as you have the same greed that runs your country as we do
I was thinking that it is the same decision making by way of unexamined emotional response that we Americans practice. That is for instance how we ended up with hate crime law which violates the constitution and serves no purpose other than to take on penalty when one trespasses upon the special victims of the day. We see clearly with the response to the riots how the UK is more american than European, as the Europeans would never get a wild hair and decide to hand out especially harsh penalties for a particular crime just because it feels good as is the case here. Europeans would demand that justice prevents special penalties on the basis of emotional outrage and would demand that any penalties serve a purpose.

What we see with the UK as well as the us as a dominant (the state) beating on the masochist without thinking driven purely by anger. The Europeans would refuse, saying only that rules need to be followed and that if one breaks the rules then they get to predetermined penalty for that crime, one that has been thought out and one that is intended to serve a purpose.

UK citizens should take this opportunity to ask themselves what it is that they think they are doing, and if they want to be like the US which tends to practice unthinking and unproductive vengeance rather than justice.
Izzie

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 06:05 pm
@msolga,
Be back tomoz Mz O to answer - so tired here... need to zzzz (love and hugs) x
msolga

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 06:07 pm
@Izzie,
No problem, Iz.
Off to bed with you now. Smile
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 06:10 pm
@msolga,
I'm off to bed now so I'll be brief. Whatever the rift is, it's not big enough to destroy the coalition. Neither of the Condems will do well if an election were held now. It's just the Liberals trying to give themselves something a bit distinctive, that's all.
reasoning logic

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 06:15 pm
@Izzie,
If you did not watch the video then I could see that you are not able to relate!

I was not responding to what HH and you were discussing but to the view point that you have been framing!

Quote:
I don't have answers. But I question this whole disparity of sentencing with the government is doing what the people wish "fighting back" as in a knee-jerk reaction - and the RESOURCES to deal with this, bringing it into our schools, parenting orders,- it's just platitudes that are gonna cause a whole world of other hurt
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 06:23 pm
@izzythepush,
Thanks, izzie.
Now off the bed with you, too! Smile

(this is staring to feel like the "goodnight" thread. Wink )
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 06:26 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
izzythepush wrote:
Why do I keep having to explain things to you? Even David has said he understands my posts.
It is not the quotation I have an issue with, but your interpretation. That's the bit you wrote after the quotation.
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Because you so often don't make any sense.

This is the bit I wrote after the quotation:

Quote:
The parents have felt disempowered by the very social planning intended to help their children.

You see that as a distortion of what the man said?

Maybe David understand how that is the case, but not me.
I only commented that whereas Spendius' prose
is ofen difficult to figure out and is occasionally unintelligible,
I do not find so much of those flaws in Izzy's posts.
This does not mean that I AGREE with many of his conclusions.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 06:33 pm
@Izzie,
Izzie wrote:
Devonshire!

We locals just call it DEVON!
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Thank u!
Do u live there??
Izzie wrote:

I do indeed!
That sounds good.
Do u like it there?
Will u describe it?
Residential area? or rural ?

Someone told me that it has good strawberry shortcake. Do u agree ?

David
msolga

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 06:37 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I'm off to bed now so I'll be brief. Whatever the rift is, it's not big enough to destroy the coalition. Neither of the Condems will do well if an election were held now. It's just the Liberals trying to give themselves something a bit distinctive, that's all.

Of course the Lib-Dems could form a coalition with Labour! Wink
Kidding, just kidding.
By hey, why not? Wink

But whether the Lib-Dems are being opportunistic or not, I do agree with much of what they're saying. Particularly statements like this:

Quote:
Carlile suggested the sacrosanct separation of powers between the government and the judiciary was being put at risk by comments from some ministers. He told the Guardian: "I don't think it's helpful for ministers to appear to be giving a steer to judges. The judges in criminal courts are mostly extremely experienced and well capable of making the decisions themselves. Ministers should focus on securing the safety of the public."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/17/riots-sentence-liberal-democrats-conservatives
reasoning logic

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 06:38 pm
@hawkeye10,
Great reply it does seem to be true!

Did you watch the video? it seems to have some interesting facts!
0 Replies