joefromchicago wrote:

Female version of story:

Quote:
blah blah blah

Male version of story:

Quote:
blah

gotta disagree.

simply based on the posting habits in this household.

blah.
joefromchicago

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 12:20 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Where has it changed that's it's become interesting?

At the point where you started trying to explain why you made your first post. That happened some time around your second post. Despite all your explanations, though, I still have no idea why you even bothered. It's not as if you wanted some advice. You specifically said: "I'm not asking 'what should I do?' nothing happened, there's nothing to do." Indeed, nothing happened. Hence my disappointment.

I don't put too much stock in all the pop psychologists who try to explain gender differences, but I have to admit I think John Gray is onto something when he says that men's communications tend to be goal-driven whereas women's communications tend to be process-driven. I once told a woman, who was in the middle of a convoluted, M. Night Shyamalan-esque story about a problem she was having at work, to "get to the point." I quickly learned never to make that mistake again. The fact is that she really didn't have a point, she just wanted someone to listen to her vent.

As I said, I have no idea why you started this thread. You want to defend your gut instinct, but I doubt that anything we could say would change your position -- after all, gut instincts aren't rational, so rational arguments won't put a dent in your conclusion. Your gut says that these two guys are creepy. No matter how many details you pile onto your description of events, there's little likelihood that your gut reaction would change. The problem, then, isn't that you added too many details to your story, it's that you added any. I'll know better next time.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 12:30 pm
I don't understand these condescending posts one MUST make to show
how uninteresting others are. If I don't like a subject, I won't write there -
no need to insult with writing blah, blah, blah or making it understood how
trivial one might be. There is also an emotional intelligence that some seem
to lack completely!
ehBeth

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 12:32 pm
@CalamityJane,
(my blah blah blah v blah had to do with the length of post - not content)
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 12:42 pm
@ehBeth,
A gross generalization, to be sure. Your mileage may vary.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 12:45 pm
@joefromchicago,
That's why I provided my reference point.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 02:15 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Additionally, tho I have never gone to a laundromat,
if I ever went there (or anywhere) with food, I 'd eat my own food,
not distribute it among others.

David

Not going to pretend to be even a little socialable, huh Dave?

PS: I didn't give her the donut, even though she did look kind of deprived.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 02:23 pm
@roger,
You donut hoarder you!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 02:24 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
. . . my gut is telling me you're just trying to draw me into an argument, and I'm not going there.
"Arguments shed light, whereas quarrels shed heat."
The purpose of a quarrel is ego-domination.

I like your writing.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 02:38 pm
@roger,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

David
roger wrote:
Yes! Did u read the RED parts of my post????
What counts is what COUNTS, like not falling down dead
nor crippled within a day of the deed, for instance.

roger wrote:
I dunno what laundromats cost,
but thay must cost SOMETHING, and I bet that if she coud afford THAT,
then she coud afford to get the meal of her choice
and did not depend on u for food.

Roger, its bad enuf if someone HANDS u some food,
touching the food itself (like holding a donut in your hand),
but that is not as bad as eating from the mouth of a stranger,
as u brought up. That 's gross.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 02:43 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

David

Well, she had her ice cream cone to PRIVE her. That 's probably Y she took it in there.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 03:03 pm
@joefromchicago,
chai2 wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
At the point where you started trying to explain why you made your first post. That happened some time around your second post. Despite all your explanations, though, I still have no idea why you even bothered. It's not as if you wanted some advice. You specifically said: "I'm not asking 'what should I do?' nothing happened, there's nothing to do." Indeed, nothing happened. Hence my disappointment.

I don't put too much stock in all the pop psychologists who try to explain gender differences, but I have to admit I think John Gray is onto something when he says that men's communications tend to be goal-driven whereas women's communications tend to be process-driven. I once told a woman, who was in the middle of a convoluted, M. Night Shyamalan-esque story about a problem she was having at work, to "get to the point." I quickly learned never to make that mistake again. The fact is that she really didn't have a point, she just wanted someone to listen to her vent.

As I said, I have no idea why you started this thread. You want to defend your gut instinct, but I doubt that anything we could say would change your position -- after all, gut instincts aren't rational, so rational arguments won't put a dent in your conclusion. Your gut says that these two guys are creepy. No matter how many details you pile onto your description of events, there's little likelihood that your gut reaction would change. The problem, then, isn't that you added too many details to your story, it's that you added any. I'll know better next time.
I liked your John Gray reference; thank u for that,
but u neglect the fact that this is a social site to which conversation is endemic.
Sometimes conversation is cathartic.

David
roger

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 03:15 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

but u neglect the fact that this is a social site to which conversation is endemic.

David

So are germs, sometimes.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 04:00 pm
@roger,

OmSigDAVID wrote:

David
roger wrote:
So are germs, sometimes.
U mean CATHARTIC ??
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 09:44 am
@joefromchicago,
John Gray shamelessly stole his thesis from Deborah Tannen, who came up with it first, wrote a book about it, and called it "report talk" vs. "rapport talk," which I like as shorthand.

http://www.amazon.com/You-Just-Dont-Understand-Conversation/dp/0345372050

Report talk: I am providing information that requires some sort of action, such as an offer to solve the problem or advice on how to solve this problem.

Rapport talk: Isn't this interesting? What do you think? Have you had similar experiences?

I'm bilingual but tend towards report talk.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 10:06 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

chai2 wrote:

no offense joe, but I didn't write this for you. don't care if you're disappointed.
don't care if you have no idea why I started this thread
don't care if you read it (past tense) or read any more of it (future tense)
I don't even care enough to wonder why you felt the need to tell us of your disappointment.

The street goes both ways.
Comes down to it, you don't have any more to say than you think I have.

huge meh.
chai2

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 10:07 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

I don't understand these condescending posts one MUST make to show
how uninteresting others are. If I don't like a subject, I won't write there -
no need to insult with writing blah, blah, blah or making it understood how
trivial one might be. There is also an emotional intelligence that some seem
to lack completely!

heh.
Now THAT I like.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 10:08 am
What kind of donuts?

If they were maple frosted, it wouldn't have tempted me at all.

I do enjoy a nice jelly donut thought.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 10:17 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Comes down to it, you don't have any more to say than you think I have.

And yet you still felt compelled to say it.
chai2

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 10:26 am
@joefromchicago,
As obviously, do you.