Is Wiener's wiener a career killer?

dlowan

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 02:57 am
If yes, why so?

If not, why not?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/07/us/politics/07weiner.html?_r=1&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha2

I'm serious, but humour is a serious part of life!

Is he a victim of nomenclature?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 22 • Views: 16,246 • Replies: 313

Setanta

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 03:00 am
The shame of all of this is that this joker has been a real bulldog in going after Republican hypocrisy and obstruction. Why is it that people who go into politics are such weirdos? I guess normal people have more self-respect . . .
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 04:34 am
That sort of publicity usually makes the wheels come off . I would be surprised to see him hang in there much longer.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 04:57 am
Of course she's an expert, didn't she use to have one? Wink ops wrong post lol
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 05:00 am
FYI, there's already a pre-existing thread on this:

http://able2know.org/topic/169227-1#post-4632598

Just saying...but...I think he's reached a high degree of over-exposure.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 05:17 am
@dlowan,
Shields and brooks were talking one night after some other big moral scandal about politicians, and the way they buttonhole each other, and make contact... I think Mr. Brooks was talking about Kennedy and viewing him from the Senate gallery locking arms and holding a republican Senator close, thinking they ought to get a room... They all have too much power... They are all surrounded by people they disagree with on some level and cannot trust, and they all need each other for their own political survival... We have all known smoozers, used car salesmen, bar patrons who have to make contact, and it is an effective device in life when trying to bridge the psychological gap by first overcoming the physical distance... You show people you are not afraid of them to gain their trust, and get them to be unafraid of you... Everytime I start to feel caressed, I start to wonder: what is in it for you...

I understand Weiners problem completely... He lives in a world without trust, and he wants to be able to trust, and his future depends upon trust... He is trusting in the kindness of strangers... Anyone but a liberal would know that is a mistake... He is obviously suffering from polipsychosis, unable to distinguish friend from foe... He should be gone from office, and before he did anything...We live in a country where the vast majority must live at the mercy of a fraction of the people, who were sold to that fraction before birth, with the birth of the country... The liberals and democrats have always wanted to believe that common interest would make us friends, or at least allies... This is not the case... The rich are the deadly enemies of our rights, and of anyone who raises their voices against them... If these people think to be our leaders, they ought at a minimum have the sense to not surrender power in their lives to others as we must surrender our power to them...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 05:19 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

The shame of all of this is that this joker has been a real bulldog in going after Republican hypocrisy and obstruction. Why is it that people who go into politics are such weirdos? I guess normal people have more self-respect . . .
If you can't see the difference between a hotdog and a bulldog you need glasses...
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 06:02 am
I first heard about this issue on Morning Joe this morning, haven't really been keeping up with US politics lately I guess.

Anyway, from what I gather the problem may have made worse because he lied about it and then had to admit it later.

Quote:
Then there was the fact that his confession had occurred, in the words of one top Democratic Congressional official, a week too late. “It’s hard to trust in an individual who already lied,” said the official, who like others interviewed insisted on anonymity because of the sensitivities surrounding the matter.

source

Fido

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 06:21 am
@revelette,
It could not possibly have been made worse by the lie... It all shows lack of sound judgment compounded by a total contempt of social/moral sentament... One must have contempt of people to take power over them rather than working to return power to them, so that much is natural... The terrible judgment is the lesser offense, but it is the one that will bring him down because the contempt is an accepted part of the situation... No one questions it, and even those who most suffer it which is the vast majority of people -feel they have no choice but to hope for the best... The whole situation is stupid...
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 07:05 am
rising star, elevated status, detached morals, accusation, lie, exposure, coverup, admittance, fight or flight, disgrace, comeback.

Thus is the cycle of American politics.

dlowan

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 07:13 am
@Setanta,
Perhaps wieners make this sort of appearance for those less exposed to the public eye as well, only we don't hear about it?

Did he do something illegal?
dlowan

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 07:16 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

rising star, elevated status, detached morals, accusation, lie, exposure, coverup, admittance, fight or flight, disgrace, comeback.

Thus is the cycle of American politics.

To this observer's eye it seems to happen a lot in US politics.

I wonder if this is true, or a mere artifact of how much the US domination of the airwaves?

I tend to suspect that the more puritanical and hence incipiently hypocritical the political and cultural ambiance the more this sort of thing happens...but perhaps it's just the libel laws.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 07:19 am
@dlowan,
It's not a question of legality, it's a question of morality. That hypocritical aspect of American politics will continue to ruin careers for as long as two conditions are met. The first is the pandering to the concept of a "moral majority." The second is, obviously, the stupidity of pols who think they can do crazy **** like that and not get caught.
Irishk

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 07:51 am
@Setanta,
Agree.

Page 38

Pretty sure he never read it.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 08:20 am
When will politicians learn from Richard Nixon? It's not the crime, it's the cover-up! As I see it, this scandal would have been manageable if Wiener had fessed up immediately, offered the standard apology to his stoic-but-understanding wife, claimed that it was all the result of alcoholism and/or addiction to prescription pain-killers, gone into a rehab clinic for 90 days, announced that he was cured, and moved on. After all, he's not some family-values hypocrite who wants to impeach the president for getting a blowjob while getting some strange on the side (cf. Newt Gingrich, Bob Livingston). Politicians can survive sex scandals (cf. Bill Clinton, David Vitter, Barney Frank), but few can survive pathetically bizarre cover-ups like Wiener attempted (cf. Mark Sanford, John Edwards, Larry Craig).
Setanta

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 08:26 am
@joefromchicago,
Smart take . . .
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 09:04 am
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

Agree.

Really; if it is a question of legality it is a question of morality, and if it is a question of morality then the guy should not be a law maker... Moral forms are what social forms like Law are made of... If those at the top have no respect for morals, then who should and if we don't, then who is going to keep the society from falling right to pieces????... Seriously; what is keeping us from each others throats but moral restraints???
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 09:44 am
@Irishk,
I think #3 in the rules of conduct is interesting. All the reps would have to give up thier seats according to that one.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 11:23 am
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

Agree.

Page 38

Pretty sure he never read it.

I'm sure he read it. The outdated Puritanic langauge of this first clause is far too catchall yet actually says nothing at all.

Quote:
RULE XXIII
CODE OF OFFICIAL CONDUCT
There is hereby established by and
for the House the following code of conduct,
to be known as the ‘‘Code of Official
Conduct’’:
1. A Member, Delegate, Resident
Commissioner, officer, or employee
of the House shall behave at all times
in a manner that shall reflect
creditably on the House.

This is the only clause in that section that applies Irishk. Kind of dissapointed that you would highlight this very vague clause.

Would you really open this Blue Law style clause to punish Anthony Weiner if it turns out he's telling the truth and he didn't break any laws? He if did break any real laws: using his election and PAC money for example to cover up his actions then he should be pursued legally. Right now? He only admitted to a few ethical indiscretions and not any legal ones.

Morals are subjective and they are different for every single person. Some people (conservatives) might consider the sexual orientation of Barney Frank to reflect badly against the credibility of the House. Open this clause to Weiner, it's not much of a stretch to try and burn Congressman Frank on it as well.

How about single Congressmen and women who have sex outside of wedlock? These acts are considered immoral and would to some reflect badly against the credibility of the House.

I could give more examples if you like. But my lunch hour is limited.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 11:25 am

How long before this little prick resigns?