The kittens are coming!

dlowan

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 05:03 pm
@Roberta,
Thank you Boida. You're a Mensch.
msolga

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 05:11 pm
@dlowan,
Yes, it was awful. AND it cost an arm & a leg! Your cost concerns are well founded.

I'm kinda glad you didn't call off the "open" today. I think that would have just made you feel worse. (Good luck, btw!)
But you can still get lots of rest this weekend anyway? Or sleep, especially.

Yeah, we all know how much you love Viola (& Sebastian, too!)
AND with good reason! Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 06:52 pm
@dlowan,
<checking in>
<sending love>
dlowan

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 07:06 pm
@ehBeth,
Thank you both. It's helpful having as many people as possible who don't think I am mad to be this cut up about a pet....Or if they DO think it are kind enough not to say so.
dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2012 01:34 am
@dlowan,
Saw my little girl. Her temperature was lower and she was much happier than yesterday. I took her some chicken and she ate a little bit....they are hand feeding her.

We had an extended love fest, during which she began to look much more normal.

My hope is that I might be able to have even a tiny bit of time with her at home before she needs to be put to sleep, where she is comfortable and happy....even a few hours would be good.

They have her on every immune boosting thing they can think of....even homoeopathy!

If she can have a tiny bit of time at home I will feel better.

Am trying to focus on how lucky I have been to have her in my life at all, rather than on how brief it has been.

Bad news is that it seems fip may be more infectious than I thought. It seems it comes from a particular virus....normally they are exposed when tiny and, in some cases, it mutates to this deadly form. Viola's heart problems likely made her immune system weaker. It is therefore possible they were all exposed as tiny kittens. Vet was unsure re whether Sebastian might carry it. If it is fip I will get him tested. This might possibly affect whether I can get another cat for him.

This would be devastating news...I am trying to take one day at a time.

A friend came with me today, and Viola was very happy to see her, too. She was responding so lovingly to all the staff. She reserves nose licks for me, which is very nice.

I will see her Monday morning and take her more chicken.

Please, little girl.....keep your temperature down!

Sebastian has immune system herbs to take. Probably good he ate half my colostrum!

He is looking very happy at last....it is sunny here and he is luxuriating in the sun.

I have realized that Viola instigated most of the mischief around here! Sebastian lets me sleep in and all! She was trouble in its finest forms.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2012 01:46 am
@dlowan,
Oh dlowan, just reading the past two pages, I started to cry..

I know I haven't really had a chance to get to know you, but I, if I may, am sending you hugs.

You know, I know money is so hard to come by... But, when a Vet says "wait" and the temperature is down in the mornings, I don't necessarily think they are trying to get more money, rather, actually think they may be able to do this.

I really do.

I can only tell you of Missy... and Ruby which are both dogs. I have a cat, I've had cats all my life, I love cats, my fiance is allergic... But my boy seems to be ok and doesn't cause him grief. Anyway, Missy I was told to bring her home to die, she was on a drip. Ruby just went through major Chemo and is in remission still costing us though to continue.

You know, that love, the pats, the visits, the chicken, the love, the pats, the visits, the chicken... have faith and do what ever you can to continually visit, just tell them you are doing it... That's what I did. Missy has survived 7 years from that date, took me three months to nurse her back, hand feed her and Ruby, well he's still doing it, but he's happy as long as I am there.

Thinking of you... Now gotta go, cause I will get upset again.
dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2012 01:58 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Thank you. I don't think they are trying to get more money...they are great.

You had one home on a drip? How did that work out? I have thought about suggesting it...but Viola is moving around a lot when she feels ok and I have to leave her all day while I work.

Just been reading up on fip.....some articles saying they don't think it's meaningfully infectious.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2012 02:07 am
@dlowan,
I didn't have her home on a drip, they would not allow that... Nothing was working, she had a liver problem.. They told me to bring her home she was dying, nothing they could do.

But, I got a syringe and I forced her to drink, I mixed her food with water and forced her to eat, had her on my bed with me, (kicked the husband out) and after 3 months of doing all of this, she jumped over it.. 7 years later, though she is nearly 17 and it's not long now.

They didn't believe that it was possible to force feed her water and food and the sheer will to live, to be with Mum, was what it took.

If your cat is eating and keeping it down, and is ok with temperature in the morning, this is good in my opinion.

Even, my diabetic dog, yes i have it all going on here. Temperature goes up when she goes in for a curb, but is ok when she arrives and goes down towards the end of the day, after a few visits she was used to being in there and it showed fine, originally they upped the insulin and nearly killed her.

I truly think animals hate being away from their owners. I visited the vets and just told them, not at a cost, I just wanted to go in there morning and night and pat Missy, they let me.

If you can visit there more? I know you are working... But, visit, give her love, pats and chicken, suggest to them to try the syringe?

They are aware that alot of animals respond more to the love of their owner than they do, being caged up... You may find they will let you take her home if she takes the water and they will guide you as to how many times you have to give it to her slowly in a syringe, but you have to let them see it works first.

dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2012 02:52 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Bless them...they are hand and syringe feeding already. I can visit when I like...but work makes that very hard. I am able to go up Monday morning. She is being hydrated on a drip. Hopefully, unless she gets worse this evening or tomorrow, I will be able to coincide with her best time and get her eating more chicken. I'll try some apple, too..she adores licking it.

So glad your little one has been given a long life.

Finally got Sebastian playing normally....got his tunnel out.

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2012 02:57 am
@dlowan,
Keep going Smile They seem to know more than my vets did Smile If that works they will send her home with you to do the same.

Thank you... She was /is, as yours are, my all... They are like little people.. Just filled with love

x
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2012 08:41 am
@dlowan,
I am so glad that there was a love fest. Both you and Viola need that.

Funny to hear that Sebastian has allowed you to sleep in.
dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2012 08:55 am
@ehBeth,
We certainly did.

Poor little guy....I've been working hard tonight to give him lots of fun and love. He's so lost. I am too, in my own way.
Thomas

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2012 09:00 am
@dlowan,
Whatever happened to Sebastian being dumb?
dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2012 09:16 am
@Thomas,
He's not saying much.
Thomas

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2012 09:59 am
@dlowan,
I see. So he's the strong, silent, boid-killing type.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2012 03:17 pm
checking in.

Glad to see Viola is still with us. I've lived through this and know hard it is.

Hanging in with you.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2012 04:14 pm
Checking in, too, Deb & reading your latest posts on Viola's condition ... & saying good morning to you.
Also wishing you luck with your two "opens" today.
Such a lot on your plate today! So much on your mind.
I hope you manage to get some rest.
Roberta

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2012 04:28 pm
First thing I did when I turned on the computer was check in here.

Worrying. Not just about Viola. About you too, bunny. Too much on your plate.

Sending a long-distance hug and a sigh.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2012 04:34 pm
@msolga,
Thank you Margo, Msolga and Boida.

Sunday here....I am very unlikely to hear anything today.

But.....Sebastian showing his first signs of normal behaviour since all this began! He woke me up....and I foolishly gave into him since i was happy to see something of the old Sebastian. Then he initiated a love fest....his first since last Saturday. And he was demanding food! He has eaten very little since Viola got sick.

Reading on the net has its downside. The vets are busily trying to promote Viola's immune system...if it is fip then immunosuppressants are said to be one of the things that can lengthen survival period.

Still, if I can learn that on a google search, I assume the vet is able to access far better information.
msolga

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2012 04:40 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
Sebastian showing his first signs of normal behaviour since all this began!

Smile
That's so good to hear, Deb.

Quote:
Reading on the net has its downside. The vets are busily trying to promote Viola's immune system...if it is fip then immunosuppressants are said to be one of the things that can lengthen survival period.

I've been reading up, too!
So much information!