The kittens are coming!

farmerman

Reply Mon 14 May, 2018 09:57 pm
@ddlowan,
theres yer problem. We could never have more than two without mayhem an, uhh, hygiene problems.

We once bought a very classy brand -new Stickley library chair for our reading room and lefty , shredded the leather after the chair was but two weeks after delivery. Lefty went to become a well loved barn-cat after that. He lived in a tack room that was his alone an he loved it. He turned from a mean ass male cat to one that adored everybody and totally enjoyed life .
ddlowan

Reply Tue 15 May, 2018 08:06 pm
@farmerman,
I don't have four cats, I have four litter boxes!

I have two cats.

It's no use giving me info about fixing cat pissing problems, I have heard it all. But thank you for the thought.
ddlowan

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 12:58 am
@ddlowan,
Has the thrill gone?

Last night Sebastian was especially annoying and demanding

I tend to assume this means he needs some vigorous cat wrestling, or a session with Da Bird, or a mighty game of Devil Cat plus a bout of Ripple Rug to overcome the restlessness of being stuck home all day. If it's light I often walk him at this time.

So I tried all of them.

After some initial mad responses, he went back to moaning.

I gave up and went to lie on the sofa, pulling up the rug I keep there.

Immediately he leaped onto me from where he was perched, dove under the rug and purred contentedly and stayed there from then on.

Yes, the thrill is gone.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2018 08:46 pm
@ddlowan,
My courtyard is now enclosed! It’s been extremely cold (for here) and windy ever since so after the first exalted scampering sand climbings it has seen little use by the management.

I have one of their indoor climbing trees on temporary duty out there, so they can enjoy their view, which will doubtless ruin said climbing tree, but I am hoping to get some shelves and things built in so they can enjoy themselves without making the courtyard so bloody ugly that no human will ever use it.

I imagine it will make them very happy when the first warm days hit!
roger

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2018 08:49 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

I imagine it will make them very happy when the first warm days hit!

Ya, sure. My cat is always so appreciative of every little thing I do.
dlowan

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2018 08:55 pm
@roger,
Mine actually are!
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2018 08:57 pm
@roger,
How's your cat doing Roger? All of our cats have gone on to kitty heaven and we are down to one dog......but I do love the critters.....
roger

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2018 09:05 pm
@glitterbag,
He's doing great for being sixteen years old. Affectionate, too. Sometimes, he kind of winds around my feet when I'm sitting down (when he wants the door opened). If he's almost asleep on top of the dresser, I can lay my hand on his shoulder and feel him breathe. He even lets me rumple his ears from time to time.

In other words, we share the same house.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2018 09:40 pm
@roger,
We had a 16 pounder we called spooky (she looked like the cat on the back of a witches broomstick) one summer night mr. g'bag said, have you seen spook? I haven't seen her around for a few hours. I immediately jump up and do a room by room search for Spooky, usually if you called out "Spook" she would respond with a strangled sort of meow...hard to describe exactly.....but no sound from her. Room to room to room then closet checks and finally I looked under our bed.......there....she.....was.....in....a serene...pose....just looking back at me.

I wish I was a more mellow kind of person...but I guess I'm not....and I wasn't irritated with spooky...she was doing her cat thing...but I was I was running all over the house in a semi-panic state looking for the cat. So with only a few puffs of smoke coming from my ears.....I went back to the family room and Mr. g'bag lowered the newspaper and asked "Did you find her?" "Yes I did" He asked "where was she?".....I said, ........oh crap, never mind what I said, I was miffed.
roger

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2018 09:51 pm
@glitterbag,
Hey, I used to have a cat named Spooky, too. When he arrived, he disappeared for two days. He could walk behind a cardboard box and never come out. He wasn't behind the box, either. That cat could hide behind the toaster, so I named him Spook. I mentioned that to three people at work and two of them said "Oh, is he black?" He was orange, but I changed the name to Spooky. Somehow, no more confusion.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2018 10:08 pm
@roger,
Oh yikes, my cat Spooky was a tortoise shell calico....her name was only because she (forgive me, but she was butt ugly) had 6 or 7 toes on each paw and her feet looked like a catchers mitts. I really didn't want to take the cat, but my oldest was about 8 or 9 and he fell in love immediately....The couple giving the kittens away must have seen the look on my face and the husband said....Yeah, she ain't pretty but her mother looked like that when she was a kitten (pointed to momma cat...she had the same coat but looked like a real cat) , So we went home with the scrawny kitten and she was terrific.....very unusual...very much a cat....and we did love her...she lived to be about 17 and then her kidneys started to fail.....it was hard to see her go.....
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2018 10:22 pm
@roger,
We found a big orange cat under our car in the middle of a freezing rain....we thought she was a neighbors cat just out around outside for a few days....we started to worry about her and set out some food (rookie mistake) then the overnight forecast was for deadly cold weather and the two of us started to worry about the big fat orange cat....w2e opened the front door, and all I said was "kitty" and this orange cat shot out from under the car and came inside. We tried to find her owner unsuccessfully so we finally took to our vet to get her checked out. Because she was so big I thought she might be pregnant, so when I asked the vet about that, he said "Well, unlikely because she's a neutered male" . So his health needs were taken care of and with deep humiliation we went home with the cat and never really settled on a name. Henceforth, he became "Big Kitty" because we never got unconfused.
dlowan

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 07:12 am
@roger,
Mine are omnipresent.

The bath, the toilet, the kitchen, cleaning, in bed, watching tv, entertaining, cooking, reading....there are the cats. Demanding attention. More attention. A game. A wrestle. Cuddles. Slow blinks. Grabbing my hands. Kissing and licking.

roger

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 01:34 pm
@dlowan,
All Nermal demands is that the door be opened.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 03:32 pm
@glitterbag,
we will be taking our decennial trip up to Fredericktown this fall in order to get a feral kitten that may b available at a no-kill shelter that we modestly help to keep going . Our lat of the Three Amigos is on her second half of her second decade and, although till healthy and spunky, is in need of someone lik her to talk smack with. Weve found that if we introduce kittens to adults they easily develop a tiered society without fights and nobody becomes a brutal killer cat.

I like a black one like our "lucky" who was shot by hunters and mrs F is just taken by "mutt" Main Coons. (Maine Coon have a propensity for developing enlarged hearts and coupled with their love of da manja, they can get a big as a sofa) The mixed varietals seem to have some sort of genetic vigor and variability that avoids this negative trait .I dont know, maybe were just overthinking this but I know That , if we find a Coon and see a Bombay-well probably be smuggling two Canuk cats back inta da US.

My new car has two rows of seats that fold back automagically an theres a space beneath them that would fit a cat or two, so Im sure we can pull it off. What can go wrong eh?
roger

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 06:05 pm
@farmerman,

farmerman wrote:

My new car has two rows of seats that fold back automagically an theres a space beneath them that would fit a cat or two, so Im sure we can pull it off. What can go wrong eh?

Hiss, Howl, Squawk!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 06:47 pm
@farmerman,
Get ‘em both!!!
farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 07:00 pm
@dlowan,
that 's what I think will be plan b. I like Maine Coons cuz they are friendly to everybody and theyre kinda goofy acting ,and since lucky, Ive missed the breed of " cat that never shuts up".
dlowan

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 09:37 pm
@farmerman,
I’m wondering where all these don’t give a damn about their humans cats come from?

Never had a cat like that!

And I’ve known 13 so far.

The first one I remember, a black tom we had when I was very little, was not the friendliest cat, but he cared enough to lie in wait for my sister and me under our beds, hoping to grab our ankles when we got into bed. Taught us to make a flying leap into bed every night.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 09:48 pm
@dlowan,
Our big orange tabby would switch his tail while Mr.G'bag stretched out before softball games (serious softball league/heavy testosterone) Big kitty would pounce and wrap all 16 pounds of himself around his ankles in a fierce attack......because he saw that as an activity that needed to be halted. Cats make me laugh, they are so demented.
0 Replies