30
   

The kittens are coming!

 
 
msolga
 
  2  
Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 03:24 am
@dlowan,
I know you will make the best decision.
Between feedback from the vet & seeing how Viola is coping/responding, you'll know.
I had to make similar decision years ago, when it became clear that a much-loved tabby's (Pussa) condition was not going to improve, but that he could linger on indefinitely on medication. He was becoming terribly unhappy living in a cage at the vet's for quite a while ... but we couldn't take him home either.
In the end I made that decision, out of kindness to him.
I hope it doesn't come to that for you, Deb, but if that's the right thing to do, the kindest thing is to do it.
dlowan
 
  2  
Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 08:34 am
@msolga,
It's coming to that now. I really don't want her caged over the weekend, not unless I can see good coming out of it.

She was suffering tonight, I am sure of it.

Just been trying to keep Sebastian happy. He's killed his Da Bird and nothing else makes him really interested. Ended up getting his mouse puppet out and he's exhausted himself with that. I'm trying to get him also to cuddle with it a bit...
Thomas
 
  2  
Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 08:44 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
It's coming to that now. I really don't want her caged over the weekend, not unless I can see good coming out of it.

I am not a cat doctor, but I presume it's called feline infectious peritonitis for a reason. If Viola has it and you take her home, how much risk does that put Sebastian at, if any?
dlowan
 
  2  
Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 08:49 am
@Thomas,
It's not really infectious. I gather it happens because the bug transforms...presumably something to do with the cat's immune response...and becomes an auto-immune problem.

They've given me an immunity booster for Sebastian....but more in case it is a nasty gastroenteritis and NOT fip.

I think it's all to do with her genetics.....she's just a vulnerable little girl.

I can't take her home anyway unless her temperature stays down....without the drip it would kill her.


At least that play session has Sebastian settled. I've just ordered him two more Da Birds.
ehBeth
 
  2  
Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 03:44 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
....without the drip it would kill her.


can the drip be done at home?
msolga
 
  2  
Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 04:22 pm
@dlowan,
Good morning, Deb
On the run here & wishing you all the best for today.
I'll be thinking of you & hoping & wishing Viola's condition somehow improves ...
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 04:22 pm
@ehBeth,
I've been wondering that....I'd like to have even a day at home with her....but I don't think so. If she feels well, she'll want to be moving about. If she feels really unwell I think she might be better off without Sebastian.

Also, I have bloody opens to prepare for and I'd not be able to spend a lot of time with her and I'd have to stress her.

I'll have to cancel the Saturday open if I have to euthanase her
dlowan
 
  5  
Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 04:38 pm
@dlowan,
Actually, I have just texted agent that I'm likely going to have to cancel the Saturday open

I just can't bear to have to prepare for an open and euthanase Viola the same day. I guess if she is really ill today the decision may come sooner....but I can't get to vet until just before closing

In the unlikely case that she is better I want some time with her...proper time.

I need to stop bloody crying I have to present a case this morning.

0 Replies
 
ehBeth
 
  2  
Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 05:00 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
If she feels really unwell I think she might be better off without Sebastian.


I don't have enough experience with cats to know if they are good with unwell companions.

As Cleo fades more, Bailey is a better and more sympathetic companion dog.
dlowan
 
  2  
Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 09:00 pm
@ehBeth,
Yes, but Viola is acutely ill. I agree with chronic illness and gradual disability.

I'll ask vet.

Her temp was normal this morning.....but the pattern has been for it to worsen as the day goes on.

I just have to wait.
dlowan
 
  2  
Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 12:07 am
@dlowan,
And it's right back up again.

I may bring her home tonight anyway. Am meeting with vet at five. My worry is that I don't want her dying some disgusting death at home if temperature goes out of control at home. I also don't want her at vets over weekend.

I don't want her continuing with this if there is no hope.
MontereyJack
 
  3  
Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 12:58 am
oh, deb, what terrible hard choices to have to make. I hope if she has to go she can be with you as she goes, so she leaves knowing she's been loved. But I hope more the vets can find something they can do. And balancing bringing her home with knowing that if she stays in the hospital they can respond immediately if there's a crisis. There's no easy option.

I read somewhere recently about a human doctor who had recently retired and been volunteering at an animal hospital, and realized how similar veterinary medicine and human medicine were--we're all animals, after all, and felt that human docs could learn something from some of the very sophisticated techniques vets now employ. Here's a googled article about human peritonitis--secondary peritonitis can arise from perforations of the peritoneum, like accidents. They've probably checked for possible sharp objects, like, oh god, Da Bird feather pieces, haven't they? Or maybe bone splinters (I know they're always warning about letting dogs eat chicken carcasses, because they can chew the bones and splinter them, which can pierce their stomach walls, could she have eaten something you might not know about?) It's probably stuff you already know anyway: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002311/

Pat her and scritch her ears for all of us. We're hoping for the two of you.
msolga
 
  2  
Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 01:17 am
@dlowan,
Hey there, Deb.

Quote:
And it's right back up again.

I'm wondering if her high temperature, later in the day, is to do with when they give her her drugs ... (in the morning?)
Where is patiodog when we need him?

Quote:
I may bring her home tonight anyway. Am meeting with vet at five. My worry is that I don't want her dying some disgusting death at home if temperature goes out of control at home. I also don't want her at vets over weekend.

I hope you are able to bring her home tonight!
She would feel so much more comforted there, I'm certain.
I think you'd feel much better, too, if it's possible.
Could you ask your vet about the availability of any good weekend "emergency" services? As a back-stop. Which I really hope won't be necessary. Just in case.

Quote:
I don't want her continuing with this if there is no hope.

Yes.
I fully agree with you.
But you'll have to ask your vet for a very frank assessment of Viola's chances of surviving this. Nine days time (when the results of the tests will be available) seems too far away. Far too long for her to be at the vet's in a cage. Poor little thing! Sad

Nana7
 
  2  
Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 01:56 am
Wish the kitten healthy !
dlowan
 
  3  
Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 02:38 am
@MontereyJack,
Thank you...yes, she's had x rays to check for a blockage or foreign object. She's actually poohing.

Just got back. By the time I got there her temp was too high to come home. I explained to vet all my concerns. She wants to give it a bit longer....they have added some things to Viola's treatment and have been in contact with lab in california where Viola's blood is to try and expedite results. I saw Viola in a different place, away from her cage...which didn't work out too well as she was a bit agitated by being in a different room and needed to explore.

Seeing her and vet again tomorrow afternoon. I feel better that vet fully understands my position and has said that will tell me immediately if she thinks it's time to call it. A friend came to vet with me which was nice. I bought a chicken for Viola, which Sebastian enjoyed some of....he is now asleep on my lap.
dlowan
 
  3  
Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 02:40 am
@msolga,
She's having some meds via drip....the tablets she has at intervals during the day.

I would have loved to have her home.....

Thank you all so much for your support!
dlowan
 
  2  
Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 02:41 am
@Nana7,
Nana7 wrote:

Wish the kitten healthy !


Welcome Nana7 and thank you very much for your thoughts.
0 Replies
 
Roberta
 
  3  
Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 03:39 pm
@dlowan,
Still worrying and hoping. Throwing in an oy.

Rooting too.

Throwing in a sigh.

Love ya, kid.
msolga
 
  3  
Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 04:11 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
she's had x rays to check for a blockage or foreign object. She's actually poohing.

She wasn't able to before?

Quote:
....her temp was too high to come home. I explained to vet all my concerns. She wants to give it a bit longer....they have added some things to Viola's treatment and have been in contact with lab in california where Viola's blood is to try and expedite results.

Very glad you had that conversation with your vet, Deb.
It's good that she knows exactly where you stand on Viola's treatment. And a huge relief for you, I'm sure, that she knows.
I hope she is able to get the results of those tests sooner!

If it's any comfort to you, Pussa (the cat I mentioned earlier) had a very similar experience .... three vets (!) were unable to diagnose his ailment. Every time he finished a course of antibiotics his symptoms would return. Very, very sick cat. He ended up at Werribee (at the Melbourne Uni vet training facility) & they eventually diagnosed an extremely rare fungal disease which next to nothing was known about - they probably wrote a paper on it at the time) & successfully treated it. It took weeks & weeks to reach that point, a lot of it at vets' surgeries, like Viola.
So, you never know, these blood tests might just produce a similar result. My fingers tightly crossed that they do! They have to know what the disease is to know how to treat it. But, as I said, I'm very glad to know that your vet fully understands what you are willing to have Viola go through, in the meantime.

Quote:
Seeing her and vet again tomorrow afternoon.

I hope you'll be able to spend more time with her this time. She'll love that! Smile

Have you called today's opening off?
You need to rest after such a stressful week.

dlowan
 
  3  
Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 05:01 pm
@msolga,
Oh boy Olga....that must have been awful.

The sad thing is that I don't see Viola getting any better while ON antibiotics. I'm actually not sure if fip is the only test still to come back or not.

I sort of have to do the open today...she'd put it in the paper so she said she would have to come anyway to turn people away.

To be honest, I'm likely better being forced to work. I'm not coping well with this and I don't think sitting around crying is all that helpful. It's awful feeling so undecided. I love her so much. I'm also terrified by the bill that is mounting and I just can't let it get much higher. I can't bear to think of her alone in that cage.

 

Related Topics

The Dog House - Discussion by Aldistar
I just buried Wench - Discussion by gustavratzenhofer
Render Unto Caesar - Discussion by jcboy
Difficult Rabbits - Question by LDW2205
My dog tried to bite me. What do I do now? - Question by PinkLipstick
OUR FRIEND HAS LEFT US - Discussion by Setanta
Milk for cats - Question by Tomkitten
Cocker Spaniel Dogs - Discussion by jodie34
PET PIX THREAD - Discussion by kuvasz
 
Copyright © 2020 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 08/05/2020 at 07:43:45