The kittens are coming!

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 10:52 am
@dlowan,
I guess this means a third cat after you move. Sebastian needs a pet!
dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 11:05 am
@ehBeth,
I'm seeing her tomorrow morning.

It's sweet, but frustrating, that they say I can see her any time....because I am at work, of course, when they are open. I may be able to see her again tomorrow evening.....but I am on urgent response....which means if any kids need an urgent forensic medical, or if the kiddy **** hits the fan in some other way, I deal with it.

Technically I come off that duty at 4:00 pm, but if something comes in before 4 I stick with it until it's over. Occasionally that means you're there well into the night.

Then the next day I have to be at work on time and I am on intake for the second part of the day....again this means you can be there until late.

Really, I am incredibly lucky because, if I have time, I technically could slip out...but the time generally isn't there.

I have to say it was helpful being busy today. I couldn't stop crying until I had to because I was with clients. And I don't know that I would have dealt well with seeing Viola today...not with the drip in her little leg and having to leave her there and all.

She's in a nice big cage...just at eye level for all the staff, which is good. I know she gets lots of cuddles and interaction. I hate thinking of her all alone at night, though. She was I'll enough again for a while there not to respond to cuddles...glad she was responsive later today.

When I saw her on Tuesday she had a rabbit next door, the cutest little brown and white ferret below, a ringwormy
dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 11:07 am
@dlowan,
Damn iPad!

A ringwormy kitten well off to the side and a sad little dog to her left...all very cute and eager to be talked to.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 11:14 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I guess this means a third cat after you move. Sebastian needs a pet!

If I move I had actually decided to get a third cat. I am addicted to these Cornish Rexes, and I could have an outside run for them at the beach house.

Moving isn't looking likely, now, though...unless something happens really fast. Only two more weekends to go. I have two opens this weekend...Saturday and Sunday...and a third time when a man who can't get to either open wants to come through.

Not quite what I want right now, but c'est la vie.

Of course, I don't know if viola will be around or not.if she isn't, at least that means I can just pop over the road to the park with Sebastian on the leash, weather permitting....which he would love.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 11:21 am
@dlowan,
You've certainly got more than one full serving of stress on your plate.

Wish I could send you Set and the puppies for a few days of Sebastian-entertaining.
dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 11:25 am
@ehBeth,
That might be more than even Sebastian could handle!
ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 11:32 am
@dlowan,
Just think how well he'd sleep when it was time for bed. Harassing Set and two old dogs (one who really really really wants to play with cats because he thinks he's a cat) should just about tucker him out.
Roberta

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 03:41 pm
Hey, Deb. That set person is a cat hater. Don't do it.

Wish things were better for you. But there's hope. And a bunny next to Viola is a good sign. Do I believe in signs? Not really, but what the hell.

Hoper is still in high gear. And I'm thinking about you a lot.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 03:47 pm
@Roberta,
as signs go, the bunny rocks.

it coulda been a goat, or snake, or scorpion.

continued positive bunny and wooly thoughts...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 07:35 pm
@ehBeth,
Saw my little girl. Her temperature is down a bit. She was very happy and cuddly. I let her lick my nose no matter how much it hurt! Still some hope that it is severe gastro, but time will tell.

I may be able to have her home if her temperature stays down. Oh man.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 07:39 pm
@dlowan,
I'm glad there was some nose-licking time today. Viola loves her human, that's for sure.
dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 08:04 pm
@ehBeth,
She is a love machine.

It was hard leaving....she had both front legs desperately reaching for me through the bars!
dlowan

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 01:14 am
@dlowan,
Sigh...bad news again. Temperature fine for half the day...now up again. No going home.
Results of fip test not back for NINE DAYS!
Roberta

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 01:15 am
@dlowan,
Damn. What's a fip test?
dlowan

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 02:40 am
@Roberta,
Test for feline infectious peritonitis. It's fatal and untreatable. There's not definitive test...except via post mortem....but the vet thinks the test she ishaving done is good enough

Of course, if she has it, she is likely to be dead before we get the test back.

She can't stay in hospital in a cage much longer, andshe was definitely feeling bad tonight when I saw her. If that continues I am calling it. she was ecstatic to see me but was restless and unhappy. I left her curled up and going to sleep.

They tested for feline AIDS today and she is negative.

The vet is desperately searching the literature....which is reassuring re knowing we are doing what we can. They love her, too.....and she responds very well to all of them.

It's not fair...not that life is fair.

At least I know she's been a very happy little girl....and she has given unbelievable happiness to me.
dlowan

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 02:43 am
@dlowan,
Sebastian is getting very unhappy...poor little bloke. He broke DaBird and he's bleh about playing with anything else. He's mooching around crying.

Lol....we are a great pair right now!
msolga

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 02:57 am
@dlowan,
Just catching up on the day's developments, Deb.
Up then down, you must feel like you've been through a wringer, you poor thing.
I understand what you're saying about not wanting her to suffer unnecessarily if her condition doesn't improve soon.
Feeling terribly sad for you, Sebastian & Viola.
dlowan

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 03:05 am
@msolga,
Thank you for understanding. It's torture, except that I understand it and I know when I get an animal companion that it's one of the risks.

It's weird, I am utterly distraught, with an underneath calm and acceptance.

All I hope is that I can make the best decisions for my little girl.
oralloy

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 03:12 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:
Damn. What's a fip test?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feline_infectious_peritonitis

I used to vaccinate my cats against it, but the vaccine is something of a gamble, as the first application of the vaccine can activate a fatal disease (I forget which one, maybe Feline Leukemia?) if the cat has it lurking in dormant form.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 03:15 am
@dlowan,
You will make the best decisions for her. My heart is with you and the two woollies. My father often said that having beloved pets and losing them too soon was one of life's many cruelties.

With you across the oceans.

0 Replies