The kittens are coming!

dlowan

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 04:49 pm
@ehBeth,
Lol....yes...it's 8.09 am Wednesday morning.

Sigh.

Man...I am on tenterhooks. Though the cost will bugger me I kind of wish they would just bloody do the further tests. I can't help worrying that there's a blockage or some damn thing that's killing her. I had a cat die from a blockage and she appeared bloody fine until the morning of the day she died.

My vet is pretty thorough though...so I have to accept that the watch and wait policy is likely the best thing.

I should hear sometime this morning. Thing is, I don't know that they fully grasp how busy I am! I already explained that if, goddess willing, she can come home today, I only have one tiny window of time to pick her up...and that won't be at the end of the day because I have a late client.

Also, they never seem to retain my work and mobile numbers.....they're great at ringing to discuss the animal, but, of course, they tend to do it at the end of their working day when I am either still at work or in transit. By the time I get the message there is nobody there. When I call back they are busy and then they get grumpy because they think I am not responding!

P phoned me on my mobile yesterday though, so I hope they have realized that home phone won't work! They've been great this time in that a vet has often grabbed the phone to talk to me when I call the nurses to find out how Viola is.

They're a really excellent practice, these are just little grains of sand.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 07:45 pm
Just saying good morning to you, Deb & checking to see if there are any further posts from you about Viola's condition.
I hope she's perked up even more today!
dlowan

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 08:52 pm
@msolga,
Pretty bad news I am afraid.

Her temperature has stayed up. They are now testing for a fatal disease. Feline infectious peritonitis. If she has it, it's the end...either immediately or pretty quickly. It's consistent with all her symptoms.

They're also x-raying to try to get a sense of anything else that might explain it.

The test for pid won't come back for a few days.

It's all costing way more than I have, so I'll be paying it back over time.

I'm afraid I'm not coping really well right now...I have clients soon so I will have to pull myself together,

This poor little cat just can't cut a break. She's apparently still feeling ok. I'll see her tomorrow.

msolga

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 08:55 pm
@dlowan,
I'm so sorry to hear that, Deb.
How terribly sad.
Poor little Viola. Sad
dlowan

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 08:59 pm
@msolga,
yes. i'm just so bloody sad.
msolga

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 09:02 pm
@dlowan,
I think I know how you must be feeling right now.
I wish I could say something to help, Deb. I feel terribly sad, too.
I just wish it wasn't so!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 09:09 pm
@dlowan,
oh Deb, that's just awful

that poor little cat - she just isn't getting a fair shake - other than having you as her loving human companion
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 09:11 pm
@dlowan,
my commiseration, bun...

mr vw's 15 year old blue heeler, suzie, is terminal with a cancer on her face.

we are just waiting for her quality of life to degrade before we say goodbye.

it's so hard...
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 11:46 pm
@dlowan,
I'm so sorry Viola's not doing better. Sending positive thoughts for tomorrow...for you and her. ((((((Viola))))))
dlowan

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 11:53 pm
@Eva,
Thanks guys

I just love her so much and she is only 18 months old

It's not fair for her.....first her heart and now this
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 01:56 am
Sad here Sad
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 02:15 am
Sighing and sad. Not giving up hope, though. Not yet.

Rooting for the two of you.

(My heart is breaking.)
dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 03:22 am
@Roberta,
I have felt pretty sure this would be the outcome from the beginning. I don't have any real hope. And they haven't called me re x ray results which I don't think is a good sign.

Sebastian is beside himself so I will go and play with him, poor little guy.

Sorry to sound gloomy, but I feel that I ned to be facing reality.

Thank all of you for your kindness.
dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 03:49 am
@dlowan,
Sebastian temporarily sated.

You know what...I wish they'd had bloody well told me this is what they feared on day one...because they obviously did fear this. We'd have the results back, either today or tomorrow and, while they aren't conclusive they are pretty indicative.

I will be talking to them about this, because I know they think, like doctors, it is better to have time to begin to encompass such a thing. However, I would have been a lot better...and I pushed as hard as I could for it...if I had been told every damn fear immediately, rather than sussing it and having them pussy foot around. I am emotional, but existentially educated and experienced....I DO death. Now I have to pretty much bankrupt myself, and beg for credit, for x rays that I believe are useless.

Softly softly don't catch THIS monkey. It irritates her.

I understand that this is partly grief related anger and I respect their intentions....but their good intentions have been unhelpful in this case.
Roberta

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 04:02 am
@dlowan,
I understand your anger. You want to know what's going on, and you want to know now! I hope you're wrong, but I'm not optimistic.

Can't think of a damned thing to say. Dont know that you'll find any comfort. I'm with you, kid. And I'm aching for you.
dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 04:20 am
@Roberta,
Blow me down.....vet just rang! At quarter to eight. X rays do support possibility of severe infection rather than terminal diagnosis. No certainty, but at least a chance. Apparently has very swollen intestines but not evidence of fluid. Temperature has come down again and she is eating and being extremely affectionate and talkative.

I discussed my feelings about them perhaps not having been honest with me from the start...and she said that they truly had not suspected the fatal diagnosis at first.

Tenterhooks again....but feeling better re vet and have a teensy bit of hope.

I love you all.
msolga

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 04:39 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
X rays do support possibility of severe infection rather than terminal diagnosis. No certainty, but at least a chance.

Surprised

Oh I hope, I hope, I hope ......!

Quote:
Temperature has come down again and she is eating and being extremely affectionate and talkative.

Very Happy
dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 04:53 am
@msolga,
i dont know if i dare hope....but i sooo want to....
dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 10:51 am
@dlowan,
Ooooooh boy. Sebastian can never be an only cat. When I got home tonight his eyes were bulging, his pupils dilated and he was in full on mad cat mode. You know that state where they tear around the house with wild eyes? He was so desperate for interaction that he began destroying things to get my attention. No interest in food.....HAD to be engaged in vigorous play. Thank heavens for Da Bird....which he managed to destroy tonight.

Poor little fella....this has been hard on him.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 10:51 am
@dlowan,
phew maybe phew

when will you be able to see Viola?