Obunga: Palestine must be based on 67 borders........

izzythepush

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 12:05 pm
@georgeob1,
At least we've stopped the name calling. I think that my portrayal of the UK has been considerably more critical than your portrayal of the United States. Let's just leave it at that. What do you think of involving Hamas in the Peace Process?
georgeob1

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 01:20 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

At least we've stopped the name calling. I think that my portrayal of the UK has been considerably more critical than your portrayal of the United States. Let's just leave it at that. What do you think of involving Hamas in the Peace Process?

In this case you have much more material to work with in finding criticism.

Hamas's role in Palestinian governance is a fact. Hard to imagine any meaningful negotiations if they are excluded. Even independently of that, it is hard to believe that either side will seriously engage in meaningful negotiations - both parties appear to operate under the illusion that time is on their side - the party that imagines it can inflict the most injury vs, the party that imagines it can absorb the most pain.

The conflict in Palestine involves close analogies with the underlying issues in the protracted one in Northern Ireland (300 years). That one wasn't resolved until both sides lost hope of unilateral victory and also rejected their radical fringes. I don't see those conditions in the Mideast.

Hard to fault the European Jews who fled death and rejection in their former homelands to found a refuge in the Middle east. Hard too to fault the Palestinians displaced from their former homes. At the same time one can't rationalize the murder and destruction on one side and the systematic injustice and oppression on the other. It is also difficult to rationalize the current behavior of folks whose countries played a major part in creating this situation in criticizing the motives and actions of those who are merely trying (imperfectly) to deal with the consequences. (There is, after all, a moral difference between the active struggle in the arena and merely criticizing from the sidelines.)
JTT

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 01:38 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Hard to fault the European Jews who fled death and rejection in their former homelands to found a refuge in the Middle east. Hard too to fault the Palestinians displaced from their former homes.

Quote:
because the role of the United States during the Holocaust was awful, before and during. They didn't act to save Jews, and they could have in many respects. The role of the Zionist organization is not very pretty either. In the late 1940s there were plenty of displaced persons in the Jewish DP camps. Some survived. It remained awful, they stayed in the DP camps, in fact, for a while they were dying at almost the same rate they were under the Nazis. Many of those people, if they had been given a chance, surely would have wanted to come to the United States. There are debates about how many, but it's just unimaginable that if they'd been given a chance they wouldn't have wanted to come here. They didn't. A tiny scattering came. There was an immigration bill, the Stratton bill, which I think admitted about 400,000 people, if I remember, to the United States, very few Jews among them. Plenty of Nazis, incidentally, straight out of their SS uniforms. The reason that bill passed, I think it was 1947, was that it was the beginning of the Cold War and priority was being given to basically the Nazis, because we were resurrecting them all over the world, a lot of them were brought in, a lot of Nazi war criminals, and others, but very few Jews. That's not a very pretty sight.

http://www.chomsky.info/books/dissent01.htm

Quote:
It is also difficult to rationalize the current behavior of folks whose countries played a major part in creating this situation in criticizing the motives and actions of those who are merely trying to deal weith the consequences.

Quote:
In fact, one very conservative and very honest Zionist leader, Nachem Goldman, who was the President of the World Zionist Organization and who was detested towards the end because he was much too honest -- they even refused to send a delegation to his burial, I believe, or a message. He's one of the founders of the Jewish state and the Zionist movement and one of the elder statesmen, a very honest man, he -- just before his death in 1982 or so -- made a rather eloquent and unusual statement in which he said that it's -- he used the Hebrew word for "sacrilege" -- he said it's sacrilege to use the Holocaust as a justification for oppressing others. He was referring to something very real: exploitation of probably the world's most horrifying atrocity in order to justify oppression of others. That kind of manipulation is really sick.

Ibid

izzythepush

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 04:07 pm
@georgeob1,
You mentioned Northern Ireland, people were saying that the time wasn't right as well. What made the time start to be right was the British and Irish governments putting pressure on the two sides in the first place. With the Arab Spring there may well be an honest broker in the case of Egypt to pressurise Hamas into talks. There's only one country than can put similar pressure on Israel.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 04:13 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
There's only one country than can put similar pressure on Israel.
You seem to have forgotten that Israel does more business with the EU than it does with the US.
Quote:
The EU and Israel maintain a strong trading partnership. Israel ranks 25th in a list of major EU import partners, and 23rd in the export list. The EU is Israel's first trading partner with total trade amounting to approximately €20.2 billion in 2009. The EU is Israel's major source of imports and is the second largest market for exports behind United States (covering 29.3% and 32.9% of the export market respectively).
http://ec.europa.eu/trade/creating-opportunities/bilateral-relations/countries/israel/
izzythepush

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 05:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
No, I've not forgotten that. I don't think we should do any business with them, they shouldn't be in the EUEFA Cup or Eurovision song contest. Personally I observe the Israeli boycott, I make sure I don't buy any Israeli produce, usually avocados, red peppers and oranges. If there isn't an alternative available from another country I do without. I did exactly the same thing with South African produce during apartheid. I visit the fair trade shop to buy Palestinan olive oil, which is about the only Palestinian produce you can get over here. I'm also a member of the Palestine Solidarity Campaign.

One of the biggest obstacles to any form of sanction is Germany's guilt over WW2, which is understandable considering what they did. Doesn't help the cause of justice though.
georgeob1

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 06:43 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You mentioned Northern Ireland, people were saying that the time wasn't right as well. What made the time start to be right was the British and Irish governments putting pressure on the two sides in the first place. With the Arab Spring there may well be an honest broker in the case of Egypt to pressurise Hamas into talks. There's only one country than can put similar pressure on Israel.

I agree with you about the actions of the British and irish governments - both previously had been explicit (in the case of the British) or tacit (and sometimes hypocritical in the case of the Irish) supporters of their respective intransigent clients. However, my impression is that the key element was that both the British and the Irish people (and notably both groups in the six counties) became weary and disenchanted with the aims of the respective radical elements and the crimes & injustices they were willing to inflict. Both nations ended up rejecting the incompatible aims of the opposing groups and choosing instead a future of pregmatic compromise and evolution. I don't think this would have succeeded, no matter how much pressure the governments of the UK and Ireland applied, if the opposing groups within Northern Ireland had not decided to abandone their respective radicals and their crimes.

I think the United States is moving away from tacit support of Israeli extremists. It still remains to be seen just what might evolve on the Palestinian side and where any restraint for or from them might arise.

I believe there's a lot more Britain, France and the EU could do to speed thie situation along, but I don't detect any eagerness to get involved.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 07:34 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:
Get a life you sad bastard!

I note your complete and utter failure to show anything I had wrong.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 07:36 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythenazi wrote:
You're just as much a bigot and a racist as oralboy and gunga.

Why do you Nazi types always falsely accuse others of your own filth?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 07:37 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythenazi wrote:
What proof do you have of Europeans falsifying investigations into Gaza?

What about that bogus report written by that Nazi Goldstone?
0 Replies

oralloy

@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:
Quote:
Your side seem particularly short on facts and heavy on insults and commands.

talk about the pot calling the kettle black Rolling Eyes

Nope. Such tactics are the province of you Nazis.

Those of us who oppose your hate, find that the best way to do so is to point out facts.

eurocelticyankee wrote:
what's happened to you, that you go along with moron's like oralboy & gunka? and for a father some of the stuff you're coming out with is disturbing.

Not everyone is a Nazi like you. In fact, most people aren't.
0 Replies

oralloy

@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:
I don't, I already said both sides have committed atrocities and there's blame on both sides.

And that was highly dishonest of you.

eurocelticyankee wrote:
The likes of oral & gunga are of the opinion it's all one sides fault, i'm not, are you?

Note that it's the Palestinians who keep rejecting peace and keep trying to murder innocent people.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 08:08 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythenazi wrote:
As I said before, most people over here believe that Al Megrahi was an innocent man. It may have been a bit unfortunate that the justice minister who announced his release sounded just like Frankie Boyle. I don't usually watch Fox News, no I never watch Fox News, but I did then. It was brilliant watching all these far-right commentators spitting feathers because someone in the UK had decided to ignore America and apply the rule of law.

Actually the commentators were upset because those people were supporting terrorists who murdered Americans.

Believe he was innocent. NOT!
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 08:10 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythenazi wrote:
One of the biggest obstacles to any form of sanction is Germany's guilt over WW2,

The biggest obstacle by far is the fact that all the allegations that you Nazi types make against Israel are lies.

The US is not about to allow Israel to be punished for something they didn't do just because you Nazis like to spew lies about them.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 08:11 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
Quote:
Your inability to address any facts is again apparent.

I would like to say something positive about their posts....the spelling is correct .

Well, mostly correct. I do note the odd spelling mistake from them.

But then again I make the odd spelling mistake now and then too -- usually when I'm tired.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 09:11 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Quote:
I already said both sides have committed atrocities
and there's blame on both sides.
Certainly, but it is lopsidedly for the Palestinians being the criminals . Add up all the rocket launches, the Arab Israeli wars, hijackings and bombings and who is in front by a mile ? The Palestinians . There would be far more Israelis dead, if the state existed at all, were the Palestinians and Arabs to be more competent in their killing .

Palestine never existed as a state...why should it now when they could be living still in Jordan, the place they were living before the re-creation of the State of Israel .
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 09:12 pm
@izzythepush,
Are you aware there is a thread for Poms to discuss soccer ?

Try the following:

http://able2know.org/topic/92414-1
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 09:13 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I'm sorry, you're not an American bigot, you're an Antipodean bigot.
Thats better....dont do it again .
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 09:18 pm
@JTT,
Have you been kidnapped by aliens ...this week ?
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 09:24 pm
@JTT,
Are you vaguely aware it was the Nazis and not the USA who murdered on an industrial scale during WWII ?

Quote:
In fact, one very conservative and very honest Zionist leader
????Is that because he believes the same as the author ? Isnt that like looking in the mirror and deciding the reflection is a very handsome person ?
0 Replies