THE BRITISH THREAD II

jespah

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 04:45 am
Cheerio, pip pip and all that. Smile New British topic. Old one is here: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=82495
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 54 • Views: 659,936 • Replies: 15,992

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 05:03 am
why have you locked the old one?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 05:23 am
Yes why? Do you want us to burn Washington again? Eh?
jespah

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 05:32 am
You're gonna burn Mt. Washington?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 05:37 am
It's all because I posted this

http://i16.tinypic.com/4cuephj.jpg

:wink:
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 06:10 am
so now this new thread will be locked too. Thanks walter :wink: seriously why was it locked? just too long, or has someone been saying naughty things?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 06:39 am
jespah-

It will help us if we knew why and then we can avoid the same fate with this one. If we don't know what we did, and I don't, won't we likely do it again.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 06:42 am
Using the map Walt provided followers of Sam Johnson will repair poste haste to Inverness or possibly Devon.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 06:48 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
so now this new thread will be locked too. Thanks walter :wink: seriously why was it locked? just too long, or has someone been saying naughty things?

Too long? Others are longer.

Such happens now and then - with the American threads as well.

(I'm on those, too Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed )
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 07:14 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:

Too long? Others are longer.

Such happens now and then - with the American threads as well.

(I'm on those, too Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed )
So a German participates on the British thread and it gets locked. He does the same on the American threads and they get locked too...interesting
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 07:41 am
yeah, why was it locked? I am now curious.

Nice to see my county isn't even on the map.
McTag

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 07:58 am
jespah wrote:
You're gonna burn Mt. Washington?

They don't teach you no history nor nuthin'? :wink: I was thinking more of a reprise of this:

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/washingtonsack.htm
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 08:09 am
Thanks for that Mac

particularly liked

Quote:
You will readily imagine that these preparations were beheld by a party of hungry soldiers with no indifferent eye. An elegant dinner, even though considerably overdressed, was a luxury to which few of them, at least for some time back, had been accustomed, and which, after the dangers and fatigues of the day, appeared peculiarly inviting. They sat down to it, therefore, not indeed in the most orderly manner, but with countenances which would not have disgraced a party of aldermen at a civic feast, and, having satisfied their appetites with fewer complaints than would have probably escaped their rival gourmands, and partaken pretty freely of the wines, they finished by setting fire to the house which had so liberally entertained them.

So thoughtful of the President to lay on some food before he ran away.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 08:10 am
Maybe it has something to do with that odd poem by a just hatched which mentioned a contributor who we see little of these days and trips to a northern city.

The ID/ Science thread is miles longer than Brit 1. And some on Trivia are way ahead of that.

Must be pm stuff.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 11:13 am
spendius wrote:
Maybe it has something to do with that odd poem by a just hatched which mentioned a contributor who we see little of these days and trips to a northern city.

The ID/ Science thread is miles longer than Brit 1. And some on Trivia are way ahead of that.

Must be pm stuff.
bit cryptic there spends. Any more clues for us?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 12:27 pm
The American equivalent of "The British Thread" is "Marlboro Contest". Jespah locked the first thread and started a new one. A few months later Jespah locked the second Marlboro thread and started number three.

Jespah may be trying to contain rampant nationalism.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 01:24 pm
I'm afraid wande that I cannot possibly agree with such an explanation because it would be incomprehensible, as contributors have agreed, that someone who has gone out of their way to invite and encourage us to help promote their hospitality should countenance any such actions.

It would be like a pub landlord having attracted and habituated a number of settled regulars at the end of the bar to insist that they remove themselves, for no apparent reason, to the ladies' cloakroom.

One imagines that the Marlboro Contest thread was locked for some quite legitimate reason. Are you suggesting that jespah engages in whimsical power plays in order to derive amusement from disconcerting her patrons?

Shame on you.

Steve- you made reference to that "poem" yourself. Indeed you were the only one to do so. My discretion prevented my doing the same.

Where is the "poem" anyway. I couldn't find it. Jeremiah was it. Something like that. It mentioned Ellpus in a rather contemptuous manner.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 02:35 pm
And he/she is away as well ...
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 03:33 pm
You can't beat some prurient gossip for being interesting.

I thought it all highly suspicious myself.

I knew Ellpus was going short. Sated blokes don't write like he did. That sort of thing is the last thing on their minds. In fact, if the subject comes up, they can be quite sardonic about it.

Maybe locking the Brit 1 was jespah's way of concentrating our minds. It did mine anyway. Once all obvious reasons were exploded there was only that left standing.

It would be underestimating jespah's intelligence to think otherwise and I wouldn't dream of doing that.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 03:42 pm
spendius wrote:

Steve- you made reference to that "poem" yourself. Indeed you were the only one to do so. My discretion prevented my doing the same.
you know I believe you are right. But what did I say? Must have had a glass or two of wine...sorry

was it a poem in italics?
0 Replies